A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 61

Geggs

Was there a slight hitch-hikers reference? The cats were Henry and George, the husband was Harry, and there's Gordon, of course. Two Hs, two Gs?

The street was Monks Road as well, which I thought was a nice touch.

Geggs

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 62

Deb

The patch of wall Dirk whitewashed was covered in what looked like previous case notes such as Electric Monk, bored horse - bathroom?, salt cellar + greek vase, and Coleridge. I thought that was a nice touch.

I would definitely watch more if they're made (fingers crossed!).

Deb smiley - cheerup

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 63

swl

Ooh - continuity.

The scene in the pub with Dirk & MacDuff. Dirk takes a slurp from his pint, talks a bit, takes another slurp and puts the pint down. The glass is clearly 3/4 full. After he downs the shot and stands up, the pint glass is empty.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 64

Baron Grim

smiley - elvis

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 65

Geggs

The warehouse looks quite intact in some later scenes, despite having half the windows blown out at the start.

Geggs

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 66

Bald Bloke

S*d the continuity feel the width.

I've only just got round to watching it on iPlayer.

Although you always get the best pictures on radio, I think they got it about right. smiley - smiley

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 67

Baron Grim

There should be a smiley for unsmiley - elvising.

FOUR smiley - bleepING YEARS! It took me four years to be reminded that they made a Dirk Gently TV program. I watched it this week via Netflix.

Well, everyone seemed to like the pilot episode. They went on to make three more. I can't say that I was overly impressed with the subsequent episodes. In the pilot they gave a few nods to the original, but after that it just seemed to devolve into just another TV series... I enjoyed it, but I didn't really connect with it.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 68

Baron Grim

While I'm delving deep into the backlog looking for another thread, I saw this one and thought I should note that there has been another series produced by BBC America, _Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency_.

It's available online and on Netflix now I believe.

Other than the title character and the concept of interconnectedness, it has nothing to do with the original books.

That said, I found it quite entertaining. It's rather more like Doctor Who meets the X-Files than HHGttG.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 69

Icy North

Is that the Stephen Mangan one? I missed most of it.

I do recommend the radio series with Harry Enfield (which some very kind person bought me recently). Enfield is brilliant.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 70

Baron Grim

Nope!

This is a completely new series from Max Landis.

http://youtu.be/5TNXaCBAjpo

Other than a mention of a previous case with Thor as a client, I didn't pick up many direct references to the source material.

But still entertaining.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 71

You can call me TC

Why does this conversation appear twice in my conversation list? Anyway, I shall make it a personal goal to re-read the books and listen to or watch at least one of the dramatisations this year. (Preferably the Stephen Mangan smiley - drool)

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 72

Baron Grim

I enjoyed both, but neither had very much to do with the books.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 73

Bluebottle

I really enjoyed the Stephen Manghan one but don't have Netflix, so might see how much it costs when it is out on DVD…

<BB<

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 74

Baron Grim

If you're in the US and have BBC|America you can stream the full episodes here.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/dirk-gentlys-holistic-detective-agency

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 75

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

What TC said.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 76

Orcus

This conversation appearing twice on your page is VERY Dirk Gently.

The explanation is only a question of time... smiley - bigeyes

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 77

coelacanth

Twice on my list too. Is it a Goo thing?
smiley - bluefish

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 78

Icy North

Just a corrupt database - don't worry about it.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 79

Superfrenchie

Appeared twice here too, in Brunel.
I just unsubscribed and resubscribed.
smiley - shrug

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 80

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Trump's America.

Key: Complain about this post