A Conversation for Ask h2g2

E-Book readers (or when can I buy a 'Guide'?)

Post 781

Baron Grim

I guess your smiley - erm threw me off.

Post 782

Pastey

Ah, sorry about that. It's probably because I'd just spent several hours storyboarding an app/website crossover. smiley - smiley

Post 783

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I like my Nexus..I can read eBooks that actually have photos and illustrations at a fraction of the cost I used to pay for the hard copies..And my husband has no idea just how many I am buying so I don't get any looks of disapproval.He's happy because we are finally getting less books on the shelves.

I've also found one advantage..I can read at the table and not get mucky food covered pages and I can keep my place when I put it down and come back to it later.

Just can't read in the bath anymore.

smiley - tea

Post 784

Baron Grim

Yep. One of my main motivations for getting my tablet was so I could read while having both hands free while eating. Seriously, ever try eating pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) while reading a paperback?

Post 785

Baron Grim

This article definitely belongs here. smiley - boing

http://www.theguardian.com/science/political-science/2013/mar/28/science-policy?CMP=twt_gu

smiley - towel

Post 786

Hoovooloo

In case anyone cares - the modification to the Kobo works. I have a GPS-capable e-reader. It rocks.

Post 787

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Still following. Loving my kindle (the keyboards one with the 'read to me' function.) And my HTC desire C. Half way through my 24 month contractwith the phone and wondering what will have come along once it's time to replace.

Post 788

Baron Grim

I'm still (mostly) loving my Transformer Prime. The only quibble I have is that lately it gets stupidly laggy when it's downloading updates to various apps. I mean to the point where it's unusable. You tap on an icon... nothing happens. You tap again... nothing happens. One more time... nothing happens... then all three taps happen but to different icons since the page scrolled and you end up opening something you never wanted to. smiley - grr

I really should root/rom it soon.

Post 789

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I've had my Kindle Fire HD for a couple of years now, and it's okay...great as an eBook reader, less so as a tablet, since it never lets you forget that it's job is to Sell Something.

Now I'm lusting for a Lenovo tablet, like my friend just got. Basically, it's a mini pc, comes with a flat detachable keyboard (rather like the one on the Surface...), has a 2 day battery life, and is 10". Very Shiny. smiley - disco

Post 790

Hoovooloo

"it never lets you forget that it's job is to Sell Something"

And it's for that one reason that I've never even considered buying one.

Post 791

Baron Grim

Well, I'm on my third tablet. My beloved Transformer Prime became too sluggish and laggy to be useful anymore. It just became a source of frustration. Apparently this was due to some problem in the Tegra 2 processor and how it fails to handle its cache properly.

So, since nothing else out there really stood out as a proper advancement from that, I picked up a Nexus 10.

Notion Ink is starting to promote their new Adam 2, and while it does have some nice features, like a plethora of ports, a display on it's "spine" and front mounted speakers, it's not a quantum leap toward a proper "guide" so I doubt I'll be tempted.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the current "best" tablet out there currently or on the horizon?

Post 792

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I have recently purchased an Nvidia Shield tablet. I love it, tis a thing of beauty.

The new Nexus 9 looks pretty smart too.

FB

Post 793

Baron Grim

The only negative remarks I've heard about the Nexus 9 were concerning the screen aspect ratio of 4:3. I only see this as an issue if it's primarily used for watching videos.

Post 794

Baron Grim

smiley - boing

A couple of years later and my Nexus 10 is still limping along. Google is no longer updating the OS for it and my battery life is decreasing steadily. I see the screen occasionally flash, that can't be good; and it's getting rather slow at times, especially when downloading app updates and notifications.

So, what next? Anyone have any suggestions? I do prefer to stick with Nexus devices as I hate bloatware and I prefer to get updates. As most other makers don't support their devices after sale Nexus devices are about the only ones that get OS updates unless they're rooted and ROMed.

BTW, my "phone" is the Nexus 6P through Project Fi. I love it.

Post 795

Pastey

I got a Nexus tablet thing for the till at the brewery, love it.

Post 796

Baron Grim

Which one? The Nexus 7?

Post 797

Pastey

Post 798

Baron Grim

I should pick one of those up. They're fairly inexpensive now that newer tablets are out. But then again, that new Pixel C is pretty sweet.

One thing I'm disappointed about with almost every tablet out these days is that few or none have usable ports. My first tablet, from an Indian start-up, had two USB ports and an HDMI port. I'd love to be able to us a tablet rather than a laptop to "shoot tethered" with my DSLR. I'd also like to be able to manually transfer files to and from a tablet rather than relying on BlueTooth since my laptop doesn't have it. Hell, most tablets and phones I come across these days don't even have card slots. WTH?

Post 799

Pastey

Have you looked at that Microsoft one?

Post 800

Baron Grim

Briefly. It's quite expensive and reviews are mixed.

Key: Complain about this post