Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 2782

Orcus

smiley - laugh

Post 2783

Pink Paisley

Coffee with added stupidity.

I bought a refill (in a packet rather than a jar).

It was 150 grams. I rather assumed that the jar I had at home (same brand and variety) would also be 150g. No. It was 100g and the next size up is 200g.

So it either overfills my old jar or would under-fill a larger one.

Not neat enough for my pedantic personality.

PP.

Post 2784

You can call me TC

I think I know the one you mean - got one when out shopping with my mother in Waitrose a couple of weeks ago. However, she decants it into a snazzy, larger container anyway, so it will fit, no problem.

Post 2785

Cheerful Dragon

A series of adverts that is fun but stupid: the Lidl Christmas ads with the carrot wandering round the festive spread. The really stupid one shows him finding his way through the food laid out for Christmas dinner - on Christmas Eve! That meal would be stone cold by the time the family sat down to eat it, not to mention the germs that had time to multiply overnight. Yes, I know it's simply meant to show the range of food and drink you can get at Lidl, but I feel it's asking for to suspend my disbelief a bit too far.

Post 2786

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

I have to agree with you, the only carrots out on christmas eve here are the ones put out for the reindeer that get chopped up once the little ones have gone to bed and prepped for dinner the next day

Post 2787

Cheerful Dragon

I object to the latest Nicorette ad. "A great new you starts with Nicorette Quickmist." No, it doesn't. I don't smoke and never have. And how can it improve the chances of quitting by 150%? First you'd have to quantify the likelihood of quitting, which I don't think is possible. All in all, a poorly thought out advertisement, imo.

Post 2788

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I am getting increasingly annoyed by holiday companies saying they are "ATOL protected" as if it is some kind of unique selling point. My understanding is that ALL flights are protected by ATOL, except under some specific circumstances. It's like saying "Buy this product, it's police-protected" because, if it gets stolen, the police would investigate and prosecute the thief.

Post 2789

Cheerful Dragon

I believe it's a legal requirement for British travel companies that provide flights to be ATOL registered so, no, it isn't a USP. It is possible that advertisers are obliged to state that the company has ATOL protection. I've heard adverts on the radio where 'ATOL protected' is said in a rush at the end, as if it's something that has to be mentioned but isn't a key part of what's being sold.

Post 2790

Orcus

Is it just me or are the current Lidl adverts beyond the realms of believability?

Aside from the fact that ALL adverts are largely like that of course smiley - winkeye

Aldi (same thing no? - actually can't remember which one) repeatedly show adverts proudly proclaiming that all their stuff is hand picked, sustainably sourced, bunny rabbits and lambs gambol in the fields whilst this is done etc. - then sell it at bargain basement prices.

I have a hard time believing this frankly (OK I made up the bit about gamboling rabbits) - there is a reason farming moved from everything being handpicked to being machine harvested - it's cheaper. Therefore handpicked - 'prime' stuff just ain't going to be bargain basement.

Or have I missed something? Happy to be reeducated.

Post 2791

Bluebottle

I get annoyed by the adverts that say 'Product of the Year' when that title isn't really won, but bought.

<BB<

Post 2792

Orcus

Didn't know that - but I always ignore that obvious BS anyway

Post 2793

SashaQ - happysad

Traditional Norfolk Poultry are the company in the Lidl Christmas advert, and I see they also supply Sainsbury's. I guess Lidl have lower overheads in their stores but it is impressive that they can offer the same product at something like 20% less than Sainsbury's...

Yes, that was eye opening when Dave Gorman explained about "Product of the Year" being an organisation rather than a straightforward competition... I am susceptible to adverts as I find myself singing jingles in the supermarket, but I do look at products with more scepticism these days before I decide to buy them.

Post 2794

Orcus

Not just that, it's their advert for handpicked Kale in particular that finally got me - though there are the mussel and poultry ads too.

Post 2795

Bluebottle

A lot of companies do that – they make an identical product and sell it not only as their own branded product but also supply all the major supermarket chains in the supermarket's branding, but at various different prices.

<BB<

Post 2796

Pink Paisley

This has got my goat for ages. I was idly reading the shampoo bottle this morning and thought how runny it seemed to be. Looked at the ingredients and it's all that bludding 'aqua' they put in it!

If they just used water instead, it wouldn't run between my fingers so readily. And water is cheaper than 'aqua' too and I wouldn't have to pay a whole £1 for a bottle of it.

PP.

Post 2797

Cheerful Dragon

I assume there's an invisible smiley - tongueincheek at the end of that post. After all, aqua means water and is used so the manufacturer doesn't have to translate the label. You'll probably find parfum in some of your toiletries as well, for the same reason. But I'm sure you knew all that.smiley - erm

Post 2798

Pink Paisley

I'm a man.

I don't have 'toiletries'.

I have shampoo.

smiley - laugh also smiley - tongueincheek

PP.

Post 2799

logicus tracticus philosophicus

After all, aqua means water /////////////NO no no It is much more posher than water..no doubt it may well have more minerals and vitamins than water and has not been distilled from the sewer water...

Post 2800

Cheerful Dragon

The ads I currently find ridiculous are the ones for QuikQuid. People use their site to arrange a loan for boiler repair/car repair/MOT failure before they even know the cost. That's fine if they overestimate the amount they need, but not if they underestimate it. Plus you don't have to arrange a loan the minute your kid tells you that the boiler isn't working.

Key: Complain about this post