A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 2701

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

the M&S advert that starts with a stream of different women all wearing what looks like the same hideous dress that dosn't suit any of them...
actually I wouldn't buy anything from that advert....smiley - erm probably not in the target market

Post 2702

quotes

They've at least had the decency to use a size 16 model, rather than the skinny Twiggy crowd they used to have, who didn't look like the people who actually shop there.

Post 2703

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

Gobble enough M&S and you need their video engineer to reprogram your weight.

Post 2704

fords - number 1 all over heaven

But their mini rolls are totally worth it smiley - drool

Post 2705

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

No fatrolls on girls who can wear a miniskirt. OK, maybe in Newcastle.smiley - runsmiley - runsmiley - run

Post 2706

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

Watch the ads aimed at kids and tots. Nothing subtle there, just outright
pushy promotion. My three year old wants it all.smiley - cross
smiley - vampire

Post 2707

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
my grandkids dont watch "raw" television
i think it is achieved mainly with recording shows my kids want them to see
and then watching the show with them, fastforwarding over the ads...
most tv over here in the states is unwatchable

Post 2708

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

"most tv over here in the states is unwatchable"
True, it gets sent over to us here in the UK. Mind you, most of ours
is puerile. As for daytime tv. How many more variants are there on
buying and selling stuff, be it old, new or houses?
Just don't get me started on the smuggles who want to move
abroad/the country/efknows where with shed loads of money to spend.smiley - grr
smiley - vampire

Post 2709

Cheerful Dragon

Totally agree with all of that, Mistadrong. We were told that digital TV would give us more choice. From recent experience, it just gives us more opportunities to watch a film/TV programme.smiley - erm

Post 2710

Geggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa9nzteQkdg

Sorry, but this one struck me as hilarious. The lines his guy is coming out with could so easily be read as a parody.

"Pies have been part of my life for as long as a can remember."

If someone said that to me in normal conversation, I'd start to wonder whether they had lost it entirely.

Geggs

Post 2711

Orcus

I remember him - when he was a kid he was featured in a serialised story I used to read when I was also a kid.

He had two friends, one had very curly hair and the other had a small black dog as a pet and wore red and black stripey tops...

smiley - winkeye

Talking of having lost it - I wonder if anyone can come up with an advertising strategy that is as much out of touch with reality as these adverts for online Bingo and such.

They typically involve lots of streamers, hats, general partying and many ladies having a "wonderful wondrous time" smiley - diva

Yet of course, the reality is in fact that it's lots of lonely people wasting their hard earned cash very quickly on rubbish.
(not that I've tried it, but I don't doubt it)

I have noticed that the gambling machine area at motorway service stations are similarly themed - only it's more sophisticated there. I've yet to see a James Bond style roullette crowd enjoying champagne cocktails in there - yet that is what the walls portray around the otherwise (typically) entirely empty room. smiley - rolleyes

Post 2712

Pink Paisley

Esso are now producing petrol that 'works at a molecular level'

I must rush out and buy some of that then since obviously, the petrol I normally buy must work in some other inferior fashion.

PP.

Post 2713

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

the costa? coffee advert... you know the one with people burried upto there necks in coffee. somehow it doesn't really promote your love for the product in so much as your desire to apparently kill your employees with it

Post 2714

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

On a good note the Meerkats are sponsoring Corry. Could be entertaining. Anything is better than the stupid blondes.

Post 2715

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

The Channel 4 weather reports are being sponsored by The Post Office. Their tagline is "The weather does lots of different things... and so does the Post Office."
Really? That's your point of comparison?! _I_ do lots of different things, but that doesn't make me in any way akin to either The Post Office or... ambient atmospheric conditions!
Having said that, there's not many alternatives I've seen that are much better, when it comes to sponsoring weather reports. I can't remember what it was, but one a while back used the tagline that they do what they do, "Whatever the Weather". Of course they do! They're a business! It's as if there's this general perception that businesses close down when it rains.

Post 2716

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I think the thing with the Royal Mail operating whatever the weather is that they really do do it, outside, even when things like buses and bin collections have ground to a halt.

"Neither Rain Nor Snow Nor Glom Of Nit..."

Having worked for them for several years I am aware of RM's flaws but do wish people would moan about the stuff that's actually moan worthy. smiley - winkeye

Post 2717

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

But that one wasn't Royal Mail. I think it may have been an insurance company.

Post 2718

Wand'rin star

American mailmensmiley - starsmiley - star

Post 2719

Pink Paisley

How about closing down the local collection / distribution centre.

In the Good Old Days (last month) if I got home and there was a card through my door because they had a delivery too big for the letterbox, I could slip down to my local office by 18:30 the same day and pick it up.

Now these things have to be picked up at the post office. Which is now located in a hardware shop in the middle of town. 5 minute parking? Ha! Don't make me laugh.

And I can't pick it up for 24 hours now either, so in practice, that's the next day. If I could get there for 17:30 which most people at work can't. This means that when I get a delivery on a Monday, I probably can't pick it up until Saturday morning. When they close at 12:30.

And if I want to send a letter it costs me £1.

And I regularly get neighbour's post. I guess they probably get mine too.

I used to be a real supporter of RM but in the process of fattening it up for privatisation it has been well and truly mangled.

Rant over.

PP.

Post 2720

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Does anyone else find the Rennie advert where the anthropomorphic tummy rumbles 'Deck the Halls' rather unpleasant?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more