A Conversation for Ask h2g2

the opposite of "thirsty"

Post 1

Weird Sister

One of the best-known flaws in the German language: the absence of an opposite to "thirsty" (NB OK, there's "schmöll" for the pardon-readers out there, but this rather failed to establish itself, didn't it?)Is there any such word in other languages?

Post 2

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

Quenched?

Well it sort of works!

Sid smiley - smiley

Post 3

Weird Sister

Well...(just had to check my dictionary, which really doesn't deserve that name)...hmm...sorry, doesn't convince me...

Post 4

Errrrrmmmmm.....

Precipetation at maximum capacity, not very catchy I know!

Post 5

CyyStCyr

1 year ago they agreed upon a new German word for the opposite of thirsty, which is "sitt" and should be included in the DUDEN by now ... I still don't think that it's gonna be used by anybody for quite some time. If a language doesn't have a word for something, it obiously doesn't need one (with "sitt", it was needed by a soft drink company who wanted to use the word in a commercial, as far as I remember).

Post 6

Weird Sister

Sure, sure, sure. The "sitt" business was a campaign by Lipton (if I'm not mistaken), the whole thing didn't get the attention it was supposed to, and I very much doubt that it has been included in the Duden or ever will be, for that fact (which would be more difficult than ever now that it has turned into a more or less descriptive dictionary).
The "necessary or not" aspect is what's really interesting. Apparently, the German-speaking community (as well as English, French and lots of other languages unless someone proves me wrong) does not need a word for "not being thirsty", revealing quite a lot about their drinking attitude/habits. But this just leads back to my initial question: is this a universal phenomenon? How about other languages?

Post 7

I'm not really here

I don't know anything about not thirsty, but there is no word for the back of the knee in English. Does that help at all?

Post 8

Weird Sister

Hee, that's an easy one! "Kniekehle", in German.

Post 9

Bruce

In English, once you've had enough to drink you have slaked your thirst - though it's not a common word & is fairly old.smiley - smiley

;^)#

Post 10

*Standing waiting to be slaked for an eblat.*
*Shuts eyes* I'm ready! Slake me for an eblat! NOW!

Sid..

Post 11

I'm not really here

I find when I have had enough to drink I tend to stop being in control of my legs. But that's still not really a word is it?

Post 12

Weird Sister

OK, I could have thought of it myself... the opposite of "thirsty", quite obviously, is "drunk".

Post 13

I'm not really here

Well, that's that cleared up then. A good night all round I think.

Post 14

Bruce

~ A strange sense of deja vu enters the forum smiley - winkeye ~

;^)#

Post 15

Abi

another word for satisfying your thirst is sated

Post 16

Bruce

but it has, you know, connotations smiley - winkeye

;^)#

Post 17

Cheerful Dragon

Or, better yet, a good round all night!

Post 18

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

What about "unthirsty"? smiley - smiley

Post 19

U128068

It has to be "Bladdered" really, as in "I am completely bladdered"

Meaning; my bladder is full, I have drunk enough.

This can also mean a full bladder caused by several beers and also causing a localised "gravitational hic-cough" often resulting in "instant horizontalisation".

Maybe "hydrated" would do as well?

Incidentally, there's no word for the front of the knee in English either (and anyone about to mention knee-caps should think before they speak)

Post 20

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Do we really need a word for "not thirsty" anyway? What's wrong with saying "not thirsty"?

Key: Complain about this post