A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What do you call those squiggly letters you have to input on some websites to prove you are human?

Post 1

The Groob

Would appreciate it if someone could tell me their name.

What do you call those squiggly letters you have to input on some websites to prove you are human?

Post 2

IctoanAWEWawi

CAPTCHAs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

although also check out the register (www.theregister.co.uk/) and search that for CAPTCHA as there's been a spoat recently of them being broken wide open. GMAIL has been, I think Yahoo has been, Hotmail has been and quite a few others. So not terribly secure anymore I'm afraid.

(I would link to EL Reg but the site is crashing my browser (Opera) at the moment for some unknown reason.

Post 3

Mu Beta

They're called Captchas.

Catchy, eh?

B

Post 4

Mu Beta

Yeah, what he said.

B

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

Oooh, I want such a computer program, it always takes me several attempts to decipher them. smiley - cdouble

Post 6

The Groob

Thanks Ictoan! smiley - cheers

Post 7

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool Old Guy smiley - cogs on his head
"Your request has been rewarded smiley - sadface

Current state of the site is deteriating partly due to a buggy Captcha."

Post 8

Bluebottle

smiley - dontpanic

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more