A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 1381

Beatrice

Dangnabbit!

Sigh.

Just started watching Family Man on Channel 4.

why is it million? Is the amount significant?

Post 1382

Beatrice

smiley - wah

Sobbing at the end of Family Man.

What a great flick! (But has Cage ever made a bad one?)

The illusion of happinnes being found in Ferarris, fabulous apartments and loadsa money, versus the happinness of a family life with people who love you for who you are..."I choose us"

smiley - sigh

Post 1383

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>has Cage ever made a bad [film]?<

More than I can can count, even if I take my socks off actually. And I think he's a good actor. He has appalling script-picking skills.

Went to see the big monkey yesterday, but gave up in the face of the queue to get into the cinema. No film is worth that.

smiley - shark

Post 1384

Beatrice

Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events.

Normally I run a mile from anything with Carrey in it, but I was completely entranced by the styling, costumes, set etc of this one.

Adored the baby Sunny character, and thought the sub-titles were a nice touch.

Hoffman's cameo was a bit unneccessary though.

Who else could have played the Count Olaf role - Rowan Atkinson? Jeff Goldblum?

Post 1385

azahar

why is it million? Is the amount significant?

Dunno, except the last fight was for a million dollar purse. Nog and I watched it last night - actually fell asleep half-way through and watched the rest of it this morning.

Didn't like it much, though I think Hilary Swank is a very good actress. Too many cliches but not enough to make it over-the-top cliche fun like Hidalgo.

az

Post 1386

azahar

I agree with you, Blues, that Cage is a fine actor but has acted in some real stinkers. Probably the film I liked him best in was Leaving Las Vegas.

az

Post 1387

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I've only really liked Cage in a few movies- "Raising Arizona", "Wild at Heart", and "Valley Girl". And 8MM was so-so.

Speaking of Nicholas Cage, "Shadow of the Vampire" arrived yesterday from Netflix, and we watched it last evening. It was pretty cool. I give it three stars. Thanks to those who recommended it! smiley - cheers

Post 1388

Steve K.

Just a suggestion for all you film fans - we had some people over for New Year's Eve and tried the "Scene It" game with a DVD showing movie clips as part of the trivia game. Worked out pretty well as a team game for 7 people. There are a lot of "flavors", we had the "Turner Classic Movie Edition":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007Q1JE8/qid=1136145391/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-5250044-4620838?v=glance&s=toys

It was a little more "classic" than we expected, with a lot of Tracy/Hepburn, Marx Bros., etc., but it did have 2001, Bonnie & Clyde, etc., so a nice wide assortment. The clip from the original "King Kong" got a lot of giggles from the folks who have seen Mr. Jackson's version - apparently effects have improved somewhat. smiley - magic

Although the Amazon description does not say it, the "expansion pack" can be played as a standalone game, i.e. without the board that comes with the large boxed game. And for $20 instead of more than twice that.

Post 1389

Wile E Quixote

After Gangs of New York, I wasn’t in a rush to watch the Aviator, but I was pleasantly surprised by it today. It’s not very often I say this, but Leonardo Di Caprio was quite good.smiley - yikes Still think it’s a shame Scorsese wants to make more films with him though. I’m also looking forward to Scorsese returning to less epic films.

Post 1390

Beatrice

Yes I enjoyed Aviator, even though I'm not a big di Caprio fan.

Just watched I Robot.

I really am the most awful person to watch a movie with - I spoil the tension totally by poining out inconsistencies and non sequiturs smiley - sadface

Anyhoo - quite enjoyed it, liked the metalliuc blue sheen the whole fillum had.

Post 1391

azahar

We've just finished watching I smiley - love Huckabee's (billed as an existential comedy - right up Noggin's alley smiley - winkeye ) and we thought it was wonderful.

Written and directed by David O. Russell, who also wrote and directed The Three Kings.

Anyhow, brilliant satire, fabulous cast (Lily Tomlin, Dustin Hoffman, Mark Wahlberg, Jude Law, Isabelle Huppert, Naomi Watts . . .) and basically lots of fun. smiley - ok

az

Post 1392

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

The other day we watched "101 Dalmations! and I enjoyed it immensely, and can't wait for the sequel this afternoon?!?

102 Dalmations - 5.25pm BBC1

By the way what's the difference between Meryl Streep and Glenn Close?smiley - ermI can't tell the difference. q

Post 1393

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I found "I smiley - love Huckabees" to be a very entertaining film! Glad to finally hear from someone else who enjoyed it.

Post 1394

azahar

<>

Well, Glenn seems to be going bald and Meryl is somewhat prettier, but I can understand the confusion.

PC - glad you like that film too. We chose it because of the cast - didn't realise at the time that it was the same director who made The Three Kings. We were very pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be so good.

az

Post 1395

U2006

Just back from going to see the producers, and i Loved it! What a film..i normally don't like musicals but this had such a fantastic cast, great direction and a very strange storyline.

Post 1396

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

Annie could you possibly see Meryl playing the evil female witch type half as well as Glenn in Fatal Attraction? BTW it's on Channel 5 tonight at 11. I'll probably watch it yet again I think.... Glenn's also rather good at the same type in Dangerous Liaisons - one of my fave films. She even managed to make John Malkovich seem nice....almost smiley - laugh

Yeah I go for Glenn everytime over Meryl. Wow is she really going bald, az?

Post 1397

azahar

Well, I think Glenn and Meryl have quite different styles, it's just that they showed up 'on the scene' around the same time in the 70's, and they're both blonde, so perhaps they might sometimes be confused for each other.

Glenn definitely does *evil* very well. And yeah, she looks like she's going bald to me. Or else her forehead is just getting higher and higher . . .

az

Post 1398

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

smiley - laugh Maybe it's just her high intellectual forehead coming to the 'fore' as it were, in her latter years. Could be some great roles for her in the future......seriously I do hope so because she is definitely one of my favourite female actors. I actually Like Meryl as well, but Glenn has just got that special bit of of chutzpah...

Post 1399

Ged42

Finaly got round to seeing Sin City last night.

I enjoyed it, though possibly more for the art direction than anything else.

Saw the new King Kong. I enjoyed it, though I agree it is way too long. Half the film seemed to Kong battling T-Rexes.

Post 1400

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

It's just that I could have sworn it was Meryl Streep who played in 101 Dalmations and was astonished to read it was Glenn Close.
I thought one of the leads in "Death Becomes Her" was Glenn Close, but apparently it was Meryl Streep.

Put it down to a senior moment.smiley - doh

I was a bit disappointed with 102 Dalmations - probably because Jeff Bridges wasn't in it.smiley - cry

Does anyone else think Cherie Booth would make a great Cruella de Vil? Something to consider when she leaves Downing Street.

I'm currently watching "Catch Me If You Can" - smiley - magic film, seen it before but well worth seeing again.smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post