A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films etc

Post 7641

Pink Paisley

I'll be interested in your opinion of GBs Paul.

I wouldn't cross the road to see it if I'd known then what I know now.....

PP.

What films etc

Post 7642

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Um, what exactly do you know now that you didn't know then? smiley - huh

What films etc

Post 7643

Pink Paisley

That I didn't think it was funny. Which is a necessary quality for a comedy.

That the goofy, zany character was particularly grating.

That I found that I was too fond of the original to accept a 'reboot' which was no longer original. Had I never seen the original I may have been more entertained by this one.

I did like the cameos by the original GBs though. Except Bill Murray's which was a bit painful. Oh, and so was Sigourney Weaver's. And although Ernie Hudson's cameo was telegraphed, I just didn't see it coming.

I really did want to like it.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7644

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

We saw Florence Foster Jenkins yesterday. I can only repeat what Teasswill said two pages back: "Very much enjoyed it, excellent period street & interior scenes. Laugh out loud in places but really rather a poignant story."

Plus we were really impressed with Hugh Grant's performance as devoted husband and then his other side, and I liked the "what happened next" of the real characters at the end.

Fully recommendedsmiley - applause

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - musicalnote

What films etc

Post 7645

As a Melissa McCarthy fan, I couldn't not like "Ghostbusters." Truth be told, Sigourney Weaver got on my nerves in the original. Nobody got on my nerves in the reboot. smiley - shrug

What films etc

Post 7646

You can call me TC

I boldly went and saw Star Trek Beyond in 3D last night. There was so much noise and people were shouting at each other so quickly in unaccustomed accents (well at least, Simon Pegg was - but the less said about his "Scottish" accent the better) that I could have done with subtitles.

Effects: 7/10 (three points knocked off because of the 3D being pointless and making it all so dark.

Script: 2/10

General entertainment value: 9/10

Laughs: 3-4 (but not at the places where the (German) audience thought they ought to laugh.

Player of the match: Idris Elba. Streets ahead of the others. But why did he start off speaking American and then shift into his normal speaking voice? Is it something to do with the bad guys always having to have a British accent?

What films etc

Post 7647

It was supposed to be a throwback to the Star Treks of the original '60s TV series, but with better special effects and a lot of action. I enjoyed the jokes, though I'll admit that some of them may have been unintentional. smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7648

On Monday I saw "Bad Moms." A screwball comedy about overstressed mothers who snap and try to reclaim some fun in their lives.

On Tuesday I saw "Cafe Society," Woody Allen's latest, seti n Hollywood in 1936. Steve Carell plays a high-powered agent who is chasing his secretary. Unbeknownst to him, his nephew [played by Jesse Eisenberg] is also in love with her. A nice love triangle, played against a backdrop of Hollywood golden-age glamor.

Tonight I saw "Jason Bourne," in which Matt Damon plays the title character and Tommy Lee Jones plays the CIA head who is trying to bring him back into the fold. There are several characters with their own agendas, and it's all choreographed as precisely as a classical ballet. A lot of cars get ruined. In the end it's all sound and fury, signifying nothing, but if you'
re a James bOnd fan you'll likely enjoy this too.

What films etc

Post 7649

Pastey

Saw What We Did On Our Holidays, loved it. Really nice gentle British comedy with some standout performances from everyone involved.

Then watched The Love Punch with was just a bit too silly for me.

What films etc

Post 7650

I don't think that ever got to my area...

What films etc

Post 7651

You can call me TC

What we did on our holidays? Was that David Tennant, Rosalind Pike and Billy Connolly? I remember it was well reviewed.

What films etc

Post 7652

Pastey

That's the one, and it was a very good feel good film. Sort of. Lots of inter-family bickering, etc. But all well done.

The kids were brilliant, apparently they weren't totally scripted but were told roughly what to say in a lot of places, and just used their own words. The reactions on the adults faces are superb, really genuine and therefore totally believable. Was a really good film.

What films etc

Post 7653

Teasswill

Saw AbFab last night. Enjoyed more than I expected - a sumptuous romp, kept my attention the whole way through. Sensibly not too long & enjoyed all the retro music etc. Kept feeling I should recognise people - wasn't always sure if people were acting or being themselves & famous or not!
As advised, watched right to the end of the credits… we were the last in the cinema.

What films etc

Post 7654

I'm probably not going to get to see it. It's showing in a theater in another state. It's also showing about 10 miles from me, but only at 11:00 in the morning.

What films etc

Post 7655

Bluebottle

I never really understood 'Absolutely Fabulous'. Whenever I saw an episode when flicking channels, the plot seemed to consist of being drunk while the dialogue was simply the word 'Darling' repeated over and over...? smiley - huh

<BB<

What films etc

Post 7656

Teasswill

Did you ever see 'Men behaving badly'? It's rather like a female version of that.

What films etc

Post 7657

I see men behaving badly all the time.

What films etc

Post 7658

Bluebottle

Nah, didn't really find that funny either.

<BB<

What films etc

Post 7659

Last night I saw the remake of "Pete's Dragon." Just now I saw a hilarious parody in which scenes from "Friday the 13th" are spliced into the trailer

http://movieweb.com/petes-dragon-friday-13th-mashup-video/

What films etc

Post 7660

Pastey

Not a film I've seen, but a question to put to you...

I'm looking at hosting boxset/film nights at the brewery.
What ones would you suggest I show?

Key: Complain about this post