A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 401

HonestIago

Finally saw Closer last night, after meaning to see it for a month. I was disappointed for a lot of it, apart from scenes with Clive Owen the film was missing passion, it had no real spark, a fact that was made worse and more obvious by the dreary Damien Rice songs. Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman put in decent performances but both can act far better. It also confirmed to me how poor an actor Jude Law is. Good looking he may be but the boy cannot act
I left the cinema with a feeling of 'that film could have been so much better' and I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it

Post 402

The REAL Julyflower!

I was so glad to read these comments....I am a huge fan of Natalie Portman since "Leon" but when I saw the trailers I got the feeling the film had been "slicked up" to make it "commercial" ie ruin it

Also agree about Jude Law, saw him in "Cold Mountain" and thought him just a (very) pretty face in that.

Off the top of my head, the last time I saw a film that really gave me a buzz it was "Garden State" - (Natalie Portman again) and before that "Lost in Translation"

smiley - rose

Post 403

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Shark Tale last night on dvd.

Very cool. Kudos to the animators for getting a fish to act like Will Smith and to Martin Scorcese for sending himself up so well.

smiley - shark

Post 404

Ged42

Just saw this trailer for an upcoming adaptation of Philip K Dick's, 'A Scanner Darkly.'

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2665143?htv=12

Like the weird animation style.

Post 405

whirlwind, heat, and flash

I thought Jude Law was fantastic in I Heart Huckabees, but I suppose it was more of a character role than a starring thing.

Post 406

HonestIago

I think I was a little harsh on Jude Law in my last post, but I was monumentally disappointed with Closer. Jude Law has done good films, he played the narrator in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (love that film!) well and he was also good in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and had his moments in Alfie.

Post 407

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Watched 'Saw: the extended edition' dvd last night. really rather good but for a few plot holes - but extra scenes my left foot! (excuse the pun) I couldn't see any. smiley - cross

Post 408

AFGNCAAP (or, by popular demand, Afgahn Cap")

Just seen Sky Captain on the plane. The lighting, the retro-future thing done entirely on bluescreen, everything was just terrific. Not to forget that it has Jude Law in it. Speaking of which, did any of you stay behind and watch the end credits on A Series of Unfortunate Events? The animation was superb.

P.S. Apparently the critics raved the movie of Hitchhikers' Guide.
smiley - biggrin

Post 409

If its blue screen acting you like I'm saving my pennies for Sin City. smiley - popcorn

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

Post 410

HonestIago

>>did any of you stay behind and watch the end credits on A Series of Unfortunate Events?<< I saw the credits many times while cleaning out screens and they were very well done. I liked the music as well, always helps when you've got a nice bit of music to clean to.
Last night instead of working I watched Spongebob Squarepants which I loved, found it really entertaining in a childish sort of way. I also had the misfortune of seeing Meet the Fokkers, Son of the Mask and Are We There Yet? all of which should carry a government health warning they were so bad. Just stay away from them

Post 411

Beatrice

Watched Calendar Girls last night on DVD (with a mate, some pringles and a tub of HaagenDaz...and a box of tissues...)

It was alright, I spose.

Post 412

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>>...and a box of tissues...

I had to do a double take before I remembered you are femalesmiley - smileysmiley - winkeyesmiley - run

Post 413

Jimbob - Got a Favourite Band? Tell Us All About It at A2464355

That Sin City trailer looks brilliant, very noirish... Really want to see that soon!

I saw Resident Evil Apocalypse last week. It looks and feels like a 'made-for-tv' movie. Utter tosh.

I'm going to see In Good Company with my g'f later this week. Has anyone seen it?

Post 414

Beatrice

*slaps Edward's wrists*

smiley - smiley

Post 415

What mystifies me about the Resident Evil movies is how they can take the games, which borrowed so heavily and successfully from the Romero era zombies, infused with the whole new plot of T and G viruses, Whesker, tyrants etc and so completly and totally botch it. smiley - erm

The games have "cinematic" written across them - so how - HOW* did we arrive at Milla Jovovich matrix-jump-kicking a rottweiler off of a wall? They could have been SCARY instead we get clean labs and offices - none of the dirt and grime and horror of the mansions or ruined laboratories.

I can't work up the bile to visit the second one. smiley - blue Watching the motorcycle crash through the stained glass window in the trailer was quite enough. If I were a zombie I'd head back to my crypt out of sheer embarressment. smiley - skull

Post 416

Saw the last 20 minutes of Scarface yesterday. I've never seen all of that movie I must make the ffort now the sibling has bought it on dvd. smiley - popcorn

Post 417

designmonkey AKA George The Gay Hippo

I saw Resident Evil: Apocalypse recently too and I really enjoyed it, sometimes turning your brain off is a good thing to do, if you want to think about films don't watch it.
Saw Zatoichi the other day too what I saw was excellent but I kept falling asleep (not the movies fault).
DM

Post 418

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I was going to defend Resident Evil the other day. I was never a fan of the games, though.

But I did think for a dumb-ass zombie movie (and there are very, very few zombie movies that aren't dumb-ass. I can think of very few, and three of those are by the same director) it did what it said on the tin.

Which is about as much as one would expect from a game franchise movie, surely?

smiley - shark

Post 419

Watched Lilo and Stitch for the second time yesterday (a sick SLG required comfort watching).

It's *still* by far and away the best Disney movie since Beauty and the Beast (though i do have a soft spot for the criminally under-rated Atlantis) and probably the best Science Fiction movie since 12 Monkeys.

smiley - shark

Post 420

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

Indeed!

The first 20 minutes of Lilo and Stitch is the best sci-fi fun this side of the Fifth Element, and the rest of it's pretty fun too. And if you get bored and are artistically minded, you can just marvel at the absolutely beautiful watercolour backdrops.... smiley - biggrin

I'm lining up the Director's Cut of Almost Famous (aka Untitled) for tonight's viewing I think. Haven't watched that one in a while and it always makes me feel good smiley - smiley

smiley - chick

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more