A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 2681

Is mise Duncan

I watched Princess Mononoke last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - the quality of the animation is absolutely breathtaking...in fact some of the backgrounds looked better than real.

Post 2682

Ridge57

Hidden, a French film about a family that is being filmed by an unknown stalker, wherein the father (a well known television commentator about literature) suspects that a person in his distant past is to blame. Not for the faint hearted and will bring up disturbing current issues.

Post 2683

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I watched Soops returns for a second time and for my money it really does bear repeat veiwing. Spacey is really good as Lex.

Post 2684

Beatrice

Saw Hoodwinked yesterday and absolutley loved it! laughed out loud a couple of times, much to the amusement of the cinema full of kids.

(At the Timmy's stuck down a well? moment, and also when the turtles shout "Run!" and break into a slow lumber...smiley - rofl)

Music was particularly good - especially Red is Blue. Can't wait for the sequel.

Post 2685

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

took the younguns to see STEP UP sat morning...knew it would be aimed at younger audience but it was ok for an adult, although maybe not the blokes.... predictable storyline no surprises but a very hunky young man [ smiley - blushsmiley - tongueout] who was a pleasure to watch, and while the dancing scenes were very good, but not brilliant.. think better in flashdance or breakdance.. [oh god i remember the awful 80's]

i've seen better routines in strictly dance fever.. remember joseph and sadie.. they were knockout and not professional as these actors must have been...

anyhoo kids loved it and i did enjoy it... but i am getting very excited about pans labyrinth, hearing such good things and del toro directed blade and hellboy both films i lovesmiley - ok

Post 2686

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

To be strictly truthful, Del Toro directed the mildly awful Blade 2. Stephen Norrington was responsible for the car-wreck that was Blade.

smiley - shark

Post 2687

knew it was one of the blade films.. you might find it mildly awful but i liked it if only for the treacherously cool and sexy rheinhart [ron perlman ]with that voice to die for.. and yes hes also hell boy...

del toro chooses an actor that has an orgasmic voice and who am i to complainsmiley - tongueout but also bear in mind that both mentioned movies are very successful and well received, maybe for better reasons than i have outlined.....

Post 2688

Xanatic

Nah, Blade was better than Blade 2. Not that either has much good to be said about them.

Post 2689

Crescent

They are both excellent films, beyond anything Wells or Scorsese could do, but only compared to Blade III - the worst film I have ever seen (and I have seem stuff that would make you eyes bleed, or at least make you wish they would). Until later...
BCNU - Crescent

Post 2690

crescent i am in full agreement.. i loved blade 1 and 2 but 3 was dreadful....

i think del toro had this knack of delving into fantasy/cartoon world that obviously has great appeal.. these films are not great oscar winners, but pure escapism into his weird world.. i am expecting good things of pans labyrinth...

Post 2691

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Blade 2 is easily the worst of Del Toro's output, someway even behind his other work-for-hire cheapie, Mimic. Compared to his own projects such as Kronos, Hellboy and The Devil's Backbone it is pretty...well, just bad.

I guess i would have been happier if Blade had been the jive talkin', afro-sporting, jodphur wearin' cool 70's dude he had been in the comic instead of yet another silly leather clad half-vampire. Perhaps if I could think of the character as something else other than Blade, which he most certainly isn't...

smiley - shark

Post 2692

toybox

Oh, I've seen Hidden recently too! Quite, er, gripping.

On a lighter note, I also saw Car Keys again smiley - smiley

"You mean we're in a movie, and all you could think of telling is the story of two idiots looking for their car keys for an hour and a half?"

Post 2693

toybox

... I meant this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383995/

Post 2694

Little Mischief

Cars - Disney's finest yet.

Also in the last few days The Legend of Bagger Vance and Blazing Saddles.

Post 2695

Geggs

Saw The Prestige last night. Admittedly, I already knew the central conceit, having read the book about 10 years ago. It used different tricks to hid it though - it pretty much had to, as the tricks in the book are very literary ones, which work on the page but would never work on screen. Apart from the conceit the plot is considerably different, and kept my interested even though I knew what was happening. Had to explain the whole thing to my beloved on the way home, though.

It is a very good film, well acted and well presented. Obviously, you expect Jackman, Bale, Caine, Johnanson and Serkis to be good, and they are. And David Bowie was surprisingly covincing as Nikoli Tesla.

Geggs

Post 2696

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Sixty Six.

Very good, some laugh-out-loud moments.

Loved the Irish traffic-cop "how patriotic"smiley - rofl

9/10

I ordered a few bargain DVDs and "March of the Penguins" arrived today, just need to find time to watch itsmiley - erm

Post 2697

Borat.

I'm pretty sure I'll live the rest of my life and I'll never see a film so breath takingly offensive - racist, sexist, ageist and just generally foul.

My sides ached with laughter when I came out of the cinma, and my face still aches this morning. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard or so often. Just as you think you can see the joke coming, Baron Cohen plumbs depths you couldfn't have imagined.

Simply put, it's awesomely, fist-eatingly funny.smiley - ok

smiley - shark

Post 2698

BORAT.. THAT fight scene???? smiley - laughsmiley - yikessmiley - wowsmiley - run

never seen anything like it....

Post 2699

The thing that actually kept going through my mind was how much bottle Baron Cohen must have. Cojones at least the size of a planet and made of titanium or some such. Both the fight scene and the rodeo being the prime examples of a man with no apparent fear.

smiley - shark

Post 2700

Xanatic

I must say that I am amazed that Blues Shark liked the Borrat movie. Now I actually want to go see it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more