A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 1

Ged42

Due to the on going sucess of threads like 'What books are you reading at this time?' and 'What music are you listening to at this precise moment?' I thought that I would start a film of the book of the music thread.

So what films have you seen recently, either at the cinema or on video/DVD or on TV?

To start off;

I recently saw on DVD a Japanese animation called 'Tokyo Godfathers,'
It is a story of three homeless people living on the streets of Tokyo, who discover a baby abandoned in amongst some rubbish and decide to try and find the baby's parents.
It's a heart warming tale very much in the style of the Christmas classic 'Its a Wonderful Life,' and quite funny even though it's in Japanese with English subtitles.

Post 2

Zak T Duck

In the past couple of months I've watched Battle Royale 1 and 2 on DVD. I've also rewatched Scarface, Shaun of the Dead, Donnie Darko and The Usual Suspects on DVD. Been a while since I've been to the cinema, the last film I saw there was Shaun of the Dead back in April.

Post 3

Ged42

'Shaun of the Dead' was the last film i saw at the cinema as well (Fried Gold smiley - biggrin).

Though i have been tempted by a Chinese film called 'Hero' that is supposed to really good, has anyone seen it?

Post 4

Serephina

Resident evil apocolyse wasn't bad smiley - smiley

Post 5

Ged42

I tend to avoid films based on games, they tend to be cr*p.

Post 6

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

The last film I saw at the cinema was The Village - it's amazing, methinks I'll have to go and see it again. Also I've been repeatedly watching Withnail and I in my grotty student abode, both to set the scene for a grotty student year and to make myself feel better about my lifestyle! It is possibly my favourite film ever.

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel

Post 7

Ellen

I loved The Village. I'm waiting for it to come out at the discount cinema so I can see it again. Interesting, unusual film.

On DVD I want to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind again. Mind blowing film, with great performances by Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey.

Love to see a movie thread crop up. I've been trying to keep one going on my Journal, but not many posters lately.

Sky Captain was fun - lightweight, but a good popcorn muncher. I liked the retro look, and all the homages to classic films.

smiley - towel JEllen

Post 8

Ellen

PS Did anyone catch that the number of the scientist's lab in Sky Captain was 1138? An obvious nod to the George Lucas film THX1138. Which is also where we got the name for THX sound. (I know, I'm a nerd)

Post 9

...Shrillian...

Ged - I saw Hero at the Sydney Film Festival (it's only been released in cinemas here just now)...it wasn't bad...it started off really well, with Li telling the first story (very much in the style of 'Rashomon'by Akira Kurosawa) but it got a bit silly after that...but not in a really bad way. Still entertaining...the cinematography was brilliant. The best I"ve seen in a long while...and it's by an Aussie as well!! YAY!!! (Australian) smiley - ok

I just went and watched Wimbledon yesterday...Kirsten Dunst, Paul Bettany...not bad. 3 stars.

Post 10

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

The only films I've seen recently ar ethe ones on TV (main UK tv ahanellns) which all have recieves toally c**0 reviews but all which have actually been quite good, maybe i was p****d I don't know they all seem to make much more sense that way smiley - erm

Post 11

Crescent

This weekend I have seen

Zaitochi - on DVD, by Count Takeshi smiley - smiley An intresting mix of arthouse film and action, much like the main charater. Lots of stillness and then intense action.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Enjoyable hokum smiley - smiley As the first generation of this intresting film technique, seems to show it has real potential. The 30's design was spot on, and there was only a couple of places where it was obvious that this was computer generated.

War Games - It was on TV and is a classic. WHat more do you need smiley - smiley Until later...
BCNU - Crescent

Post 12

A Super Furry Animal

Last film I saw was The Village, which I enjoyed, although I wouldn't say it's brilliant. The "twist" is fairly obvious early on to the observant.

Next weekend - well, it depends what's showing in Luxembourg, but I'd like to see Wimbledon or Sky Captain.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 13

kaiser_Wil_dritten

The last film i saw was Hellboy smiley - sadface, that was really bad, bad plot (if you can find one), bad characters.......I could go on, it was a real waste of money. I may go and see Hero, does anyone recomend it? let me know.smiley - smiley

Post 14

Beatrice

Went to see Dodgeball last night - mindless fun! I do adore Vince Vaughan though smiley - drool

Watched The Beach on Friday on DVD. I thought it was verging on sh!te, but my gory-loving kids enjoyed it.

Saw The Terminal last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the lack of chemistry between Hanks and CZJ. I found it a refreshing story, well told.

Post 15

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Saw a South Korean movie called Silmido.

Won't spoil it but if you get a chance to see it, do ... true story about a group of South Koreans trained to infiltrate North Korea and assassinate Kim Il-Jung ... seriously good.

Post 16

...Shrillian...

Kaiser - Hero's worth a watch...the story starts out great, but let down half way through. But the cinematography is worth seeing on the big screen...simply stunning smiley - ok

Post 17

Ami of zx - no badgers here!

I just went to a double at the local 'arty' cinema: Coffee and Cigarettes, and Elephant
The first one was great, it was a bunch of short films about, yes, coffee and cigarettes. it had some really bizarre moments of gentle humour.

the second one, Elephant, i can't make my mind up about. has anyone else caught it?

Ami of zx

Post 18

HonestIago

The last film I saw was Hero and it was beautiful. As people said the storyline loses its way in the middle but I thought it ended well. The scene where Snow and Hero are fending off the arrows defies words, I've never seen anything like it, the music complemented the action perfectly. There were some characters who were a bit pointless but it doesn't really detract from the film

Post 19

Jimbob - Got a Favourite Band? Tell Us All About It at A2464355

smiley - ok

Can I just add another voice to those recommending the beautiful Hero?

I'd heard about it and seen a trailer online but was frustrated that it wasn't coming out in the UK for ages. I was, however, able to buy it on DVD in Singapore when I was there a few weeks ago. I've now also seen it on the cinema screen now it has finally been released. I think it's beautiful, mindboggling cinema. See it now!

I can also recommend Dodgeball, which I really loved, partioularly the cameos toward the end. Shatner! Hasslehoff!! NORRIS!!! smiley - laughsmiley - somersault

I'd quite like to see Sky Captian but can't find anyone to see it with...

The Bourne Supremacy was top notch as well. Really hard and very gripping.

Oh, and while I remember, I caught a few recent/new movies on the flights to and from NZ:

Hellboy - bonkers, rubbish in places, dead cool in others, a very mixed bag, really, and doesn't do justice to the comics, I'm afraid.
Punisher - very violent, pretty rubbish but very 'old school', 1980's style action film.
Man on Fire - Alarmingly violent and over-shot by Tony Scott - too many bouncy cameras and colour filters, not enough plot and story.
Walking Tall - rubbish.
Shrek 2 - boring, not as good as the first.
The Whole Ten Yards - poor
The Big Bounce - smiley - drool over the girl in the bikini, rest of it smiley - zzz

Whew. I like my films, can you tell? smiley - biggrin

smiley - peacesign

Post 20

Ford_Prefect "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"Apocalypse 2006 REPRESENT!

i saw napoleon dynamite... the extra nippled cow reminded me of a freind...
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post