A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 81

Yvonne aka india

Fathom - sorry, forgot to mention that bit smiley - smiley Yup, one on each leg.

useless facts

Post 82

Fathom

I took my girl to the opera
The python she carried was orange
The brooch she wore was copperer
Than a copper plated door hinge

Her face turned slowly purple
While she struggled to get her breath
She said "urgle gurgle gurple"
As the python squeezed her to death

I like a challenge. smiley - biggrin

F

useless facts

Post 83

Madbeachcomber, I've done my spring cleaning, does that make me sad?

'Gurple'? smiley - erm

useless facts

Post 84

Fathom

'Wet and smelly' was right: I couldn't find anything to rhyme with 'purple' so I made a word up. It was good enough for Lewis Carroll and Shakespeare so it's good enough for me.

F

useless facts

Post 85

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

while we are (were) (vaguely) on the subject of bones (a few posts back), I seem to remember (or have I made it up) that giraffes have the same number of bones in their neck as humans (or some other short-necked creature).

This useless fact was brought to you by me, and made even more useless by the number of parentheses and inaccuracies contained therein. and all who sail in her.

rt

useless facts

Post 86

MuseSusan

Yes, that's true: giraffes have the same number of vertebrae (seven, I think) in their necks as humans.

useless facts

Post 87

The Groob

St. Patrick wasn’t Irish—he was Welsh

useless facts

Post 88

The Groob

How queer!

St Patrick wasn't Irish, he was Welsh.

useless facts

Post 89

The Groob

It is a common misconception that Florence Nightingale spent her life doing nursing - she didn't. In truth, she spent only performed nursing duties for about three years.

useless facts

Post 90

The Groob

"Clinophobia" is the fear of beds.

27% of female lottery winners hide their ticket in their bra.

useless facts

Post 91

HarpoNotMarx (((2*1)^6)-6-(2*8)=42

73.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot
smiley - geek

useless facts

Post 92

Fathom

Researchers don't always read the backlog. (See post 51)

F

useless facts

Post 93

Yvonne aka india

France has the only airspace in the world where English is not the mandatory language of communication.

useless facts

Post 94

The Godfather of Cheesecake

Ca c'est typique des francais!! Bloody french!!

useless facts

Post 95

Cheerful Dragon

A lot of people pronounce opera as 'opra', so you could say it rhymes with 'copra' (dried coconut kernels). Even if you stick with 'opera', you could rhyme it with 'koppara', which is the Malayalam word for cocoonut.smiley - tongueout

useless facts

Post 96

Fathom

There are no snakes in Ireland. (Other than in zoos presumably, although I think they are actually prohibited)

F

useless facts

Post 97

Yvonne aka india

Aren't there no snakes cos they were supposed to have been driven out by St Patrick (who from an earlier post, wasn't actually Irish?)

useless facts

Post 98

Fathom

That's the story.

There're no wolves either. Those Irish Wolfhounds were obviously successful too. (An Irish Wolfhound is a large dog; before someone asks)

F

useless facts

Post 99

MuseSusan

The cheetah is the only big cat that can lift its tail higher than the level of its back--they need the extra flexibility because they use the tail for a stabilizer when running. Other than that, only ordinary house cats can lift their tails up in the air.

useless facts

Post 100

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

And way over to the side at certain times that cannot be mentioned on a family site like this. smiley - evilgrin

F smiley - shark S

Key: Complain about this post