A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9701

Vestboy

When Mel Gibson had finished making The Passion of Christ in Sassi near Matera in Southern Italy he gave the three crosses to the town for their Easter celebrations. Sassi is, according to the local tourist info, the third oldest city in the world and looks sufficiently like ancient Jerusalem for it to be used as a film set for the ancient town with minimal changes - maybe apart from removing the satellite dishes.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9702

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

They could leave in the satellite dishes for the sequel to 'Das Jesus Video'. smiley - evilgrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX_zgbVIE_8

LessUsed Facts

Post 9703

Baron Grim

In the Matrix, Neo's passport expires on 11 September, 2001.

http://freakinfacts.com/matrix-passport/

smiley - weird

LessUsed Facts

Post 9704

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - jester
Hmmphh! Just because Keanu Reeves is Canadian
there's no reason to create a 9/11 conspiracy.
smiley - ok
~jwf~

LessUsed Facts

Post 9705

Baron Grim

There is a bit of Bristol in NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6JPPGgZl8

LessUsed Facts

Post 9706

Lusus

Thanks Baron, I didn't know there's a bit of my home city in NYC smiley - cheers

LessUsed Facts

Post 9707

Nameless Stealth Wobo

From information on various websites and books I can't even list all of them. The average amount of times somebody blinks in a lifetime is about 450,000,000 times.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9708

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

The average cat yawns over 100,000 times in its lifetime. This is because you are boring.

(Henri, le chat noir)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9709

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Henri is obviously a superior source of useless information. smiley - blackcat

LessUsed Facts

Post 9710

smiley - erm
But is cat's lifespan determined by a countdown of these yawns?

We know some cats live ten years and others more than twenty.
Perhaps the longer-lived ones know when to nap and avoid the
overuse and squandering of their 100,000 yawnings.

smiley - zen
~jwf~

LessUsed Facts

Post 9711

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

There could be an entire PhD thesis there JWF. Thank heavens I am not tempted

LessUsed Facts

Post 9712

You can call me TC

It's amazing what the placing of the word "average" does in that sentence.

I think what is meant that "a cat yawns, on average, xx times in its lifetime". This includes all cats and will cover those who live one year and those who live 25 years.

The wording was "An average cat yawns..."

So, first you have to establish, what an average cat is. Henri, is obviously not one of them. smiley - blackcat

LessUsed Facts

Post 9713

Baron Grim

Yep, averages are often misunderstood. It's because of averages that many people "know" that a few centuries ago most people died in their 30's. They're often amazed to hear about historical figures that lived into their 70's and 80's. They forget about how that average life span is skewed by high infant mortality rates.

'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.' - George Carlin

LessUsed Facts

Post 9714

The irony there is that average is not necessarily
at the halfway mark.

George Carlin would likely appreciate that by calling him
a halfwit I was not being mean if you know what I mean.

smiley - cheers
~~jwf~

LessUsed Facts

Post 9715

Actually, as every cat owner knows, there is no such thing as an average cat smiley - smiley

LessUsed Facts

Post 9716

Baron Grim

Mine is. Photographically speaking. He's a perfect 50% grey, Zone V.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9717

And how many of those are there??? smiley - smiley

LessUsed Facts

Post 9718

Baron Grim

How many what? Grey cats or Zones?

I just have the one kitty. There are 10 Zones in Ansel Adams' Zone System.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9719

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.' - George Carlin

Also realize half of them are smarter than that. smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

LessUsed Facts

Post 9720

Vestboy

Imagine a distribution with 50% of people having an IQ of 100, 25% lower and 25% higher. Only 25% would be smarter or less smart.

Is there only one person in the country with an IQ of 100 (If that's the average)? Only then would the half and half comparison work accurately.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more