A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 1

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Who do you think would make a good Dr Who?

I think Tyr from Andromeda (smiley - loveblush)

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 2

Teuchter

Alan Davies.
But I think it's time for a female Doctor - with a pretty-boy gormless sidekick.
Any suggestions? And I'll ignore the ones that consist of two words, ending in 'off'. smiley - laugh

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Anne Robinson!

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 4

Teuchter

Not sure about her. She's very austere on that quiz thing - but not very impressive on the Test The Nation shows - kept fluffing her lines and getting confused. Mind you - a menopausal Doctor might be just the thing to deal with those Daleks! smiley - rofl Who do you want for her sidekick? It'd have to be someone un-gormless for her.

Re gormless sidekicks - how about Nick Tilsley (Corrie)?

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 5

Tabitca

how about Dawn French? bags of character. sidekick...Paul Merton,smiley - laugh or Bill Bailey

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 6

Teuchter

Love Dawn French in most things - but not sure if she has the gravitas for this role. But Jennifer Saunders though? Or how about Dame Judi? smiley - smiley

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 7

¦/ArTisAn\¦

David Dickinson.smiley - laugh

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 8

IctoanAWEWawi

Bill Bailey - inspired! Watch as the Doctor removes the menace to the galaxy by weirding it out!! smiley - rofl

Well the 2 main ones i heard was Richard E Grant 9sound sgood0 or Joanna Lumly (not sure but has potential).

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 9

The Groob

I would choose Craig Charles as the Doctor, Frank Bough as his sidekick, and Pierluigi Collina as the baddie.

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 10

Jimbob - Got a Favourite Band? Tell Us All About It at A2464355

I don't think Alan Davies is the man for the job, actually. He's good in Jonathan Creek but he doesn't have the intensity and physical presence the Doctor should have.

Richard E Grant would be a good choice, Paul McGann was alright as well (as far as I can remember). A female Doctor would be pretty radical, and would probably upset the purists - so it sounds like a good idea smiley - winkeyesmiley - smiley

How about that bloke from Black Books, Dylan Moran (?)...

smiley - magic

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 11

I don't think Alan Davies is the man for the job, actually. He's good in Jonathan Creek but he doesn't have the intensity and physical presence the Doctor should have.

Richard E Grant would be a good choice, Paul McGann was alright as well (as far as I can remember). A female Doctor would be pretty radical, and would probably upset the purists - so it sounds like a good idea smiley - winkeyesmiley - smiley

How about that bloke from Black Books, Dylan Moran (?)...

smiley - magic

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 12

Aaargh. Double post hell awaits me. smiley - wah

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 13

Narapoia

Hmmm. Are suggestions like Dylan Moran, Alan Davies etc made cos they remind people of the bestest ever Who, Tom Baker? I'm not sure it could ever be quite the same, and we have quietly forgotten the awfulness of Peter Davison, Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy.
If it's coming back we need someone different, but believable and not ludicrous. And preferably gorgeous. Simon Pegg gets my vote, as Keanu's probably a bit overexposed and I don't think we could have a merkin doctor...

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 14

IctoanAWEWawi

And why not? Someday you may need someone to doctor your merkin.
smiley - laugh

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 15

Narapoia

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh
or at least give it a trim...

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 16

Hoovooloo

Interesting to see Anne Robinson get a namecheck so early in this thread, given that she ended up having a part in the penultimate episode of the first new season.

And nobody, back in the day, named anyone else who made it in.

Given that Peter Capaldi is likely to regenerate at the end of the 2017 season... who's Who next? Any suggestions?

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 17

Bluebottle

Whenever there's a new role up for discussion, newspapers always say it is going to be played by Idris Elba, Benedict Cumberbatch, Henry Cavill, Daniel Radcliffe and Eddie Redmayne – so obviously it's not going to be any of them.

Mind you, it does seem to be one of the few roles left on television that hasn't been played yet by either Judi Dench, Helen Mirren or Maggie Smith.

<BB<

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 18

Hoovooloo

Marvel, DC Comics and the Potter franchise between them have ALL of those people either contracted or (in the case of Radcliffe) set for life and no need of the work. (Heimdal, Dr. Strange, Superman, Potter and the Fantastic Beasts bloke). You couldn't pay any of them anywhere near enough for the amount of time and effort required. No disrespect, either, but I don't think Radcliffe has it in him.

History suggests looking at *television* stars rather than movie stars (Eccleston was an anomaly having an actual movie career) and specifically relatively medium-level up-and-comers. I no longer watch enough television to have any idea who might be in the running.

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 19

Bluebottle

Tom Baker was cast after the producers saw him in film 'The Golden Voyage of Sinbad'smiley - winkeye
But you're right - it is unlikely to be anyone who has made it to Hollywood and is far more likely to be a relative unknown actor.

<BB<

Who is your new DR Who?

Post 20

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Movie stars have been moving into TV and TV stars have been moving into movies for several years now, so it wouldn't be so unusual. That's mostly with HBO series though.

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post