A Conversation for Ask h2g2

should a gay man and a lesbian woman be able to foster children?

Post 1

Researcher 235040

?

Post 2

Perry Winkle & pussfoots

Certainly!

Post 3

SEF

...and adopt them if they want. smiley - divasmiley - cdoublesmiley - cool

Post 4

Researcher 240160

This is a non-question. Homosexuality is neither a qualifying or disqualifying characteristic to being a good foster parent. Nor should it be used by the governmental agencies concerned with child placement as such. To answer this question one must elaborate it. 'Should a gay man and a lesbian woman who happen to be drug addicts be allowed to foster a child?' - certainly not. 'Should a gay man and lesbian woman with no other unusual descriptors be allowed to foster a child? - why not? A more important question, however, might be asked before this one... 'Should a man and woman who wish to foster a child be questioned as to their sexual orientations?' - Absolutely not!

Post 5

Beanie

Is is not more important that a child is taken care of and loved, in a family that wants them rather than a family that does not care for the child.
I think someone that will look after the child and love them is acceptable as an adoptive parent regardless of their sexual orientation?

Post 6

Researcher 249819

it is against nature ...absolutely not!!!!!!

Post 7

SEF

That's a silly thing to say. On one hand you have people claiming that humans are superior to the rest of nature - which clearly means going against nature and this would not be a harmful way of going against nature if the couple were as good if not better than many "natural" parents. On the other hand you have the fact that in many species in nature children are fostered, eg by a near relative or other member of a tribe/group. Social insects even have a policy of all progeny being fostered by what might be considered to be the equivalent of lesbians given that they are non-reproducing females.

Post 8

TheHateMale

Are the gay man and lesbian woman a 'couple'? Housemates?

Or have I missed the point entirely?

Post 9

johnny60

Not if they are Practicing Gay and Lesbian it is not good for the Children

Post 10

SEF

Why should it make any difference to the children? Are you suggesting they are incapable of loving and caring for children quite separately from their own sexual preferences? You would first have to explain how practising *heterosexual* couples can possibly manage to love and care for children quite separately from their own sexual preferences and then prove that this did not apply just as well to *homosexuals*. So far you have no valid argument.

Post 11

stace8383

Homosexual people are just as capable of loving and looking after a child as heterosexuals. A person's sexual orientation or marital status should have no bearing whatsoever on whether or not they can foster or adopt a child. A child needs love, attention, and the more material things such as food and shelter. It is not necessary or even particularly influencial on a child's wellbeing that their "parent" be heterosexual. If anything, having a homosexual "parent" only causes a child to grow up with a more open mind, and that's never a bad thing.

I am bisexual myself, does anybody believe I shouldn't have/foster/adopt children? Because I fully intend to, eventually, and they will be loved and looked after just like any other child, whether it's another woman helping me do that, or a man.

Post 12

Ravenladyuk

I guess it's slightly different that my birth mother is gay, but she has been all my life and I'm a normal girl of 25. No-one in sociey would guess unless I tell them and it hassn't caused them or me any problems!
smiley - biggrin

Post 13

smurfles

i fully agree that it doesnt matter what anyones sexual inclination is.the fact that the couple ar are gay/lesbian doesnt mean thatthat they are incapable of loving a child.
they still feel love,just like anyone else.
a.
as long as the child has a loving,caring enviroment,then it shouldnt matter at all.
after all ,there are single parents put there,both men and women,bringing up their children alone.....so whts the dfference in a man and a woman bringing the child up together!!!

Post 14

spacegirlwannabe

why nit they have stable loving relationships the same as heterosexual cuoples. their sexuality should not be an issue if they can provide a warm safe loving home then surely that is all that matters

Post 15

top_quark

Of course! They should be able to foster children! But with Goesser beer from Austria not with Foster from Australia. It´s much more better! smiley - cheers

Post 16

taurus2

I agree what does it matter what your sexuality is.The deciding factor should be if you are capable of providing a safe and loving enviroment for children.

Post 17

bizziowen

My first instinct was, definitly not. After thinking about it more, I realised that surely a happy loving home is what a child needs, I have a baby great grandson, (yes, I am that old)and his single lesbian motheris such a great mother, I hope she finds a partner soon.
Love and devotian matters more than their sex life.

Post 18

Ascverlaren Cherry

It is refreshing to find an open and frank discussion on this topic.
Most times I hear it raised, the only responses appear to be versions "absolutley not" without any supporting evidence to back up the opinion that Homosexuals and Lesbians are any less qualified to raise children.

I agree that it is more relevant to provide a stable, loving environment for the child.

Post 19

Ascverlaren Cherry

It is refreshing to find an open and frank discussion on this topic.
Most times I hear it raised, the only responses appear to be versions of "absolutley not" without any supporting evidence to back up the opinion that Homosexuals and Lesbians are any less qualified to raise children.

I agree that it is more relevant to provide a stable, loving environment for the child.

Post 20

FranL

Why not? when you consider what so-called "normal" people have done to children, could gays and lesbians do any worse?

Key: Complain about this post