A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Fads

Post 1

Peta

We were just talking about fads. Like Rubiks cubes. Then we went onto other fads.. do you remember those really long plastic yellow arials people had on their cars, do you remember when it was fashionable to paint your car red with a white stripe down it when Miami Vice was on TV? There must be thousands more - anyone?

Fads

Post 2

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

I thought the red with wide stripe came from Starsky & Hutch.

Bell Bottoms.

Ripped Jeans - amazingly still found.

Blue Jeans with White Boots.

Mohicans.

White Trousers with a Tartan Stripe (From The Bay City Rollers).

Bondage Trousers.

Body Warmers.

Shell Suits (Ugh).

Sorry, this is more like fashion mistakes than fads.

Let's see......

NO. will definately come back to that one though.

Fads

Post 3

Slartibardfast

Yo-yo's are a great example of a fad, around every three years they become really popular for about 6 months and then die away again untill the next time. Does anyone (probably only English people) remember when the coca-cola ones came out?
COOL!

Fads

Post 4

Anonymouse

Yoyos are a thriving world-wide competitive sport. smiley - winkeye

As for vehicles.. Psychedelic Vans! (and similar paint jobs on other vehicles... I once had an Old[s] Jetstar 88 with a psychedelic paint job and "La Gringa" written across both sides and the top. Jalopies were 'in' (along with the torn jeans that hung 2 inches below the soles of your shoes so no one pointed and laughed, "Is it going to flood? (High-water pants.)" smiley - winkeye)

hoola hoops
fuzzy dice
CB radios

hoop earrings.. I mean BIG HOOP earrings! (worn with gypsy-style scarves) smiley - musicalnote I was born in the wagon of a travelin show smiley - musicalnotesmiley - bigeyes

Peanuts in coke
fringed jackets
embroidered denims
patches
carpet-bag pocketbooks (purses)

beads (on persons and in 'pads')
blacklights

Fads

Post 5

Slartibardfast

Peanuts in coke? Please elaborate. Either you mean peanuts in cocaine or peanuts in coca-cola. Both ways seem pretty strange to me.

Fads

Post 6

C Hawke

I think the unknown rodent means placing peanut in Coke (the drink) or any fizzy beverage. The nut rises as gas attaches to it, then sinks after all the bubbles disperse on reaching the surface.

Hours of amusement when drunk, stoned or labotomizedsmiley - smiley

CH

Fads

Post 7

Anonymouse

Yes... Or just into country music.. Which I'm not.. now. smiley - winkeye

Fads

Post 8

Yelbakk

Ah, lovely and old.

Now it would seem that what was wicked cool at the time THIS thread began is now seen as nothing but a fad...

So what other fads were there?

We had those little rubber balls, about the size of a table tennis ball, that would bouce in pretty strange ways: you drop them from about three feet height, they will almost come up to that height again, then fall down again - but then they won't come back up, but bounce off sideways... They were cool for about a year, and then gone forever.

Y.

Fads

Post 9

The Groob

We had fads at school.

Paper aeroplanes were around for a while.
Chewing up bits of paper and blowing it through pea-shooters.
Penny-up the wall.
Rubber dinosaurs.

Fads

Post 10

C Hawke

Gosh a conversation from when I had been here less than a month - gosh doesn't time fly.

Anyway, of course the is the current fad of having St Geoge flags on cars - no idea why as St Geoge's day was months ago.

CHawke

Fads

Post 11

gadarene

deely boppers!

What more can I say?

smiley - biggrin

Fads

Post 12

Yelbakk

Well, you could tell the uninitiated what Deely Boppers are smiley - winkeye

Y.

Fads

Post 13

gadarene

http://justdolphins.safeshopper.com/107/1037.htm?529

See the above link.

smiley - biggrin

Fads

Post 14

Yelbakk

Ahh, yes, I see. It's a sad world.

Y.

Fads

Post 15

Mina

Original deely boppers had the springs on the top of the hair grip, not on the side. They were much cooler. When I was a kid, I wanted hearts, but only if they were red. The shop I went into only had blue ones, so i ended up with windmills instead, as my dad liked them.

I've never got over that. smiley - wah

Fads

Post 16

Trin Tragula

I think I've still got one of those coca-cola yo-yos somewhere

*rummages around in cupboard*

Ah - string's gone

Fads

Post 17

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Chopper Bikes
I had a Tomahawk smiley - smiley
Now that shows my age smiley - winkeye

Fads

Post 18

Trin Tragula

I always wanted a Tomahawk

*cough* I mean, I remember my grandfather telling me about them *combs hair forward with hand*

Fads

Post 19

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I wanted a Chopper but only the big kids had them smiley - sadface

Fads

Post 20

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

>>hoop earrings.. I mean BIG HOOP earrings! <<

And now, 5 years later, the height of fashion smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post