A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15861

Wand'rin star

As a very long term English teacher... (I started in 1965 and retired seven years ago, although I'm still doing on-line marking)...
I would point out that these are PETTY hates. It's perfectly reasonable for anyone to hate individual words or endings and not use them. I tend to avoid 'ergonomic' and 'hedge' myself. smiley - starsmiley - star

Petty Hates

Post 15862

Teasswill

I hate the word incentivise - and plenty of other proper words!

Petty Hates

Post 15863

ITIWBS

More PH: neologisms and malapropisms.

Sometimes I wish English standard usage were established the that of the French language is, by means of legislation.

On 'ergonomics', its an outgrowth of early 20th century efficiency planning.

A classic example, an attempt to organize a laundry on the same lines as assembly line one task per worker, failed, the reason being that being forced to stand over an ironing board doing nothing but ironing, rather than each worker performing all the tasks required on any given item, rotating between tasks, the workers would develop intolersbly painful muscle cramps and productivity would collapse.

'Ergonomics' is conceived as the process of making the task as painless and pleasant as possible, working in harmony with the natural capacities and limitations of the human form.

Petty Hates

Post 15864

Baron Grim

Yes, Mr. X, chocoholic is a "real" word. But it's a very stupid word.

I'm not against neologisms, but some new words are better than others. And yes, this is explicitly a PETTY hate. My problem with chocoholic and shopaholic is that they use a suffix that arbitrarily splits the word alcoholic. In my logic it would make more sense for these words to be "chocolatic" and "shopic" since it's the suffix "ic" that turns "alcohol" into "alcoholic". But then again, shopic is an ugly word and I'd probably pettily hate that word too.

smiley - nahnah

Petty Hates

Post 15865

Icy North

I confess I quite like chocoholic, workaholic and shopaholic. There's something playful about comparing these non-addictions with a serious one.

But they're probably approaching their sell-by date now.

Petty Hates

Post 15866

Cheerful Dragon

Chocolatic - hiccups induced by the consumption of too much chocolate.smiley - tongueoutsmiley - run

Petty Hates

Post 15867

Pink Paisley

Diarise.

What an abomination for a word!

I have to admit to having used it once and then to poke fun at a colleague.

The poke was missed - he just thought I was talking normally and as I said it I felt a bit of a smiley - tit.

Backfired.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 15868

Baron Grim

I'm not familiar with the term, so I looked it up.

It is a dreadful, tinny word.

Petty Hates

Post 15869

You can call me TC

I am assuming it's something to do with writing diaries. Although it sounds awfully close to something to do with the digestive system.

Petty Hates

Post 15870

Pink Paisley

Farcebook.

I know that Farcebook has been done to death here over and over, but I am specifically niggled by the way that the notion of logging onto a website should be done using a Farcebook log in. Please remove the massive 'Log in with Farcebook' button from websites so that I don't have to complain about it here.

Presumably this is so that everybody that is stalking you or you are stalking on Farcebook knows that you are playing Candy Crush / logging onto your BNP account / looking at pictures of naked women / downloading knitting patterns.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 15871

Icy North

Hey! I've been on Facebook for years and I've never once downloaded a knitting pattern smiley - cross

Well, I think I accidentally stumbled upon one once, but I left immediately.

Petty Hates

Post 15872

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"I would point out that these are PETTY hates. It's perfectly reasonable for anyone to hate individual words or endings and not use them."

I know. I'm just sayin', you can't claim they aren't "real" words. smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 15873

Baron Grim

And that's a perfectly good petty hate. smiley - cheers

Petty Hates

Post 15874

Sho - employed again!

it's International Women's Day.

And therefore, as usual, I spent my journey to work tweeting back to *certain people*

Yes there is. It's 19th November.
Yes, there was a hashtag
Yes, lots of us non-men joined in and used it to raise awareness about men's health issues, in particular men's mental health issues
No, nobody is organising it for you. Get out there and do it yourself
Yes, if you contact facebook / google / twitter you will probably also have a reminder / doodle / hashtag all of your own
Seriously, do it yourself. I have enough on my hands tackling very real issues that affect women
#NotAllFeminists
and
Stop it - this day is for and about women. Take your precious snowflake fragile male ego and bleat about it another day.

smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 15875

Icy North

I can't think of anything so ghastly as having ones own special day to talk about men's health issues. I hope yours is a lot more fun!

smiley - divasmiley - seniorsmiley - zoom

Petty Hates

Post 15876

Bluebottle

It is also British Pie Week this weeksmiley - shrug. But how much attention do people pay to these 'National/International X Days' really?

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15877

Sho - employed again!

it's only one thing that gets talked about though
I also talk about beer and football on that day smiley - whistle

Petty Hates

Post 15878

KB

International Women's Day is a celebration going back well over a century, though. It's not quite the same thing as "British Pie Week" or "National Bring-your-pet-to-work Day".

I really wish people would educate themselves about the history of it a bit. It's a slightly-more-than-petty hate that they don't.

Petty Hates

Post 15879

Baron Grim

Here's an SMBC comic for International Women's Day. Not so good for Redhead's Day. smiley - erm

http://smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=4039

Petty Hates

Post 15880

Wand'rin star

I used to love getting bunches of flowers on 8th March when I worked in the old communist countries. Much as I love my sons, I'd far rather celebrate International Women's Day than Mother's Day.smiley - starsmiley - star

Key: Complain about this post