A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15801

Deek

That must be a tough one to gauge.

Until recently a local PH had a beer festival over the August bank holiday weekend... Friday to Monday. They would have an array outdoors of about thirty small casks of different beers from various independent brewerys, which (to support local trade smiley - smiley I usually made a point of sampling a different one each lunchtime.

They were always busy and their garden often overflowed onto the local green, but they never seemed to quite get the hang of having sufficient supply for the whole weekend.
As often as not, and especially when the weekend was warm, they began to run out on the Saturday and were into the usual house beer by the Monday.

Petty Hates

Post 15802

Teasswill

That reminds me of staffing levels at work. Really busy this week, loads of patients waiting for ages.
The diary shows many staff booked on annual leave - so why wasn't clinic adjusted to suit?
Then another day we run out of patients to see...

Petty Hates

Post 15803

Baron Grim

smiley - headhurts

I had to reread that several times as I couldn't figure out what it might mean for a Petty Hate to host a beer festival.

smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 15804

Sho - employed again!

when people use the word "spud" to mean potatio. I loathe it actually. But I'm not sure why

Petty Hates

Post 15805

Teasswill

That just reminded me of when my young son called them potapatoes - it stuck as our family name for that humble veg.

Petty Hates

Post 15806

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Excuse the cut and paste but am in a rush to go out ....

"spud. mid-15c., "small or poor knife," of uncertain origin probably related to Danish spyd, Old Norse spjot "spear," German Spiess "spear, lance"). Meaning "spade" is from 1660s; sense of "short or stumpy person or thing" is from 1680s; that of "potato" is first recorded 1845 in New Zealand English."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spud

Petty Hates

Post 15807

ITIWBS

smiley - smileyGood to see you, Feisor.

Was just thinking of you.smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 15808

Baron Grim

The only times I use the term spud usually I'm referencing potatoes as projectiles. I used to own a 12 foot long potato cannon, or "spud gun".

Petty Hates

Post 15809

Sho - employed again!

I don't care if it's ancient use is in the dictionary. I just don't like it smiley - nahnah

Petty Hates

Post 15810

ITIWBS

'Spud' is well established in American country and western dialect, perhaps has to do with an Anglo-Saxon preference for monosyllables.

Petty Hates

Post 15811

Thanks for noticing ITIWBS smiley - ok

My latest PH is one that I have been noticing in TV and radio shows from the UK. At first it was rare but it seems to be getting more and more common.

When (and why) did people stop saying "us" and start saying "uzz"?

smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 15812

Pastey

When they started watching too many American shows and picking up on the accented smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 15813

Icy North

Isn't it a Yorkshire thing?

Petty Hates

Post 15814

Possibly.
To be honest I can't say that I've noticed it on the American shows.

Petty Hates

Post 15815

Pastey

You mean you've never heard an American trying to do an English accent!? smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 15816

Teasswill

PH: inspection at work tomorrow so haste to get things mended, tidied, everyone urged to adhere to policies etc.

Afterwards, I bet we'll be back to normal...

Petty Hates

Post 15817

Bluebottle

We had to line up drawing pins at the bottom of noticeboards, and not have coats or bags in the office. Where we were supposed to have them wasn't made apparent...

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15818

Cheerful Dragon

Two Petty Hates at once. First, the mobile phone signal is variable in our area. Second, because of this, I've asked the company that delivers my medication to call me on the landline when they need to arrange a delivery date. I've just had a call from them - on my mobile phone.smiley - cross

On a number of occasions I've asked the caller to make a note on my file to use my landline number first, and only use the mobile number if they don't get an answer. I'm getting fed up with people who can't get a simple thing like this right.

Petty Hates

Post 15819

Baron Grim

I've had an ongoing issue with people calling for me at my parents' number. I haven't used my parents' phone number since school, decades ago. I suspect that someone sold my information. I suspect it might either have been the Columbia Tape & Record Club, or Amnesty International. Amnesty International, most likely, because they called that number for several years asking for me. They would seem receptive and apologetic when we would tell them to take this number off their list, but they'd call back six months later. What's really annoying is that I have rejoined Amnesty International, they have my current contact email address and post address, but my parents were still getting calls. They also occasionally got calls from fraudulent "debt collection" agencies asking for me. I have been debt free for well over a decade, and again, I've never given anyone my parents number since the '80s. Typically, just when I take the time to walk a caller through all this, explain that I don't live there and haven't used that number in 30+ years, and finally get them to take my name and that number off their list, a new caller starts using it. smiley - steam

Petty Hates

Post 15820

hammondorgan

Beenies, can't anyone make a beanie that doesn't ride up and you end up looking like Wee Willie Winkie with a pile of loose wool on the top of your head, and with your poor ears exposed to the freezing cold? I wouldn't wear one of those daft things that you can fasten under your chin, pom poms all over the place, no not for me. I never learned to knit unfortunately.

Key: Complain about this post