A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15281

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

You ever wonder if historians and linguists 300 years from now are gonna' be looking at copies of these forums and trying to figure out how we pronounce things and where all these "R"s and "F"s go?

Probably not, since we have sound recording technology now. But it crosses my mind from time to time.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15282

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh... Excellent smiley - simpost

Petty Hates

Post 15283

I know you can hear "leff-tenant" a number of times in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It's possible that "lew-tenant" is in there as well, but I never noticed it. smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15284

hammondorgan

Is a left tenant someone who has moved away without paying the rent? Perhaps a loo tenant is someone who rents their WC?

Petty Hates

Post 15285

You can call me TC

My father always pronounced it loo-tenant. He was in the (Royal) Navy in the war and he said that's how they pronounced it in the Navy. He also pronounced schedule the American way. I always get confused about how to pronounce those 2 words.

Petty Hates

Post 15286

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

One good example I found is in the film 'Assault on a Queen' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060135/ after much practice one of the thieves uses 'Lew-tent' as his title instead of 'Left-tenant' , every one of the gang is sure he has given away the scheme! The cruise ship captain merely 'you must have served with the Canadians'.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Petty Hates

Post 15287

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

"Can we blame them for "Colonel" not having an "R" as well?"

Turns out we can! As with 'solder' the Latin root word has an 'L' where you'd expect it, but the French word we derive the modern English term from removes it, and then it got put back in because why not.

Petty Hates

Post 15288

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

PH: feeling like I have Boulder of Agony in my eye, but on removing my contact lense being able to find even the slightest speck.

Petty Hates

Post 15289

Teasswill

Ah, with my professional hat on, that's probably because the irritant was floating in your tears rather than stuck to the lens.

Petty Hates

Post 15290

hammondorgan

Why do they fade out the records on Desert Island Discs? Drives me daft. Mind you there's an upside, the lady on today's programme picked Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf, and that can never finish fast enough, if I had that on a Desert Island I'd make it into an ashtray, or use it as a Frisbee or something. But then again, where would I get the fags from, and I don't even smoke! And who would I throw the Frisbee to? Complicated isn't it?

Petty Hates

Post 15291

Pink Paisley

It would be worth not having someone to throw it back, just to lose HooH. Or even to take up smoking to legitimately turn it into an ashtray.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 15292

quotes

...further to this conversation, I have ordered a new soldering kit. Thanks, ITIWBS. smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 15293

You know, as much as I complain when people accidentally misspell a word, you could just... y'know... spell it without the "L". Eventually it might, say... catch on...

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15294

hammondorgan

If you had a soldering iron on a desert island, you would need electricity, or a means if starting a fire it was an old fashioned one, leadpot, thinning metal, flux, it wouldn't be allowed.

Petty Hates

Post 15295

hammondorgan

And there isn't an L in it.

Petty Hates

Post 15296

Baron Grim

Actually, it's more than whether or not the L is silent. How is the O pronounced? I've always heard it pronounced such that the O (and silent or nearly silent L) sounds like the O in 'body'. Do others pronounce it such that the OL rhymes with those in 'bold' or do they sound like 'Saul'?

Petty Hates

Post 15297

Cheerful Dragon

For me the OL is as in 'bold', although I have heard people pronounce it as in 'boll'.

Petty Hates

Post 15298

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

I've only ever heard it pronounced as in 'older' or 'bold' smiley - shrug Do some countries just go out of their way to pronounce stuff as differently from elsewhere as at all possible?smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 15299

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Actually this is an odd one; normally the Americans tend to pronounce things more closely to the way they are spelt, and it's the Brits who pronounce it less intuitively eg, in American movies I hear 'lifebuoy' pronounced pretty much as if you are pronouncing each of the letters. In the UK we pronounce it 'lifeboy'. I wonder why with solder, it's the British who pronounce it exactly as it is written smiley - huh

Petty Hates

Post 15300

ITIWBS

Amendment on soldering tips, something I tend to unconsciously without thinking of it.

Taking it from step 4, holding the tip of the soldering iron with the bead of solder on its tip steady near the center of the area to be joined, bring the solder into contact with the wire to be joined on the side of the tip of the soldering iron.

Stroke slowly away from the tip of the soldering iron along the wire with the solder.

Repeat on the other side of the tip of the soldering iron.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more