A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15021

Sho - employed again!

that is a good point, CD. That's where my gym is particularly good, we have a few disabled members, and they've had to be a bit creative with some things (there is no access to the upstairs facilities except via stairs - one of which is only for women, one which is a spiral staircase)

As to the women staircase: the owners are 3rd generation Turkish immigrants. After a few enquiries, and against their initial judgement, they have made a ladies only area which is accessible only from the ladies' changing room, because one of their mothers was moaning that their sister was getting a bit chubby (sigh). But she is shy, and wears a hijab and full length clothes. She wanted to use their gym rather than a competitor's place, but didn't want to use a gym that wasn't ladies only. So they made that compromise, and now there are several ladies who use the facility, not all of whom wear a hijab.

If they now get a request for a male only part, I'm guessing they'll try to accommodate it but I'm not sure how smiley - smiley

I was at my recently leanest/fittest when my car died on me and I had to cycle 5kms each way to the station so I could get to work. I could do that now but I'm just too darned lazy (plus i can read when I use the cross trainer which I can't when I'm out and about on my bike)

Petty Hates

Post 15022

Cheerful Dragon

Stairs can be an issue for me, but I can cope if it's only one flight. I like the idea of women only facilities for exercise, and it's good to hear about Muslim women going to a gym. I've read that exercise can be an issue for them because of their need to be modestly dressed at all times. Having said that, I read recently that House of Fraser in the UK have started stocking sportswear aimed at Muslim women, including hijabs. Some of the hijabs look quite funky.

Petty Hates

Post 15023

Cheerful Dragon

Oh, and regarding reading while exercising, I found that I can read while walking on a treadmill, but not while doing Freestep on my Wii-fit. Listening to music plays havoc with the rhythm of my steps, so I listen to an audiobook or other recording instead. Right now I'm working my way through the BBC Radio 4 production of This Sceptred Isle.

Petty Hates

Post 15024

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

PH: Anti-vaxxers. Especially the ones to a) blame autism on vaccines and b) treat autism as if it were some crippling condition that destroys lives.

smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 15025

ITIWBS

Of some relevance on anti-vaxxers, a recent reading, a novel, titled "Jewel", an early 20th century classic of Christian Science propaganda, not for the weak-minded or faint of heart, important since it provides some sense of the climate of opinion that led to the prohibition era in the USA.

Available free of charge at Gutenberg.com.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2778

Meanwhile, with respect to efforts to stigmatize on mental health issues, a rather morbid trend in tge same vein as the holocaust deniers and conspiracy theory advocates who deny tbe Apollo Moon missions ever took place, irresponsible and otherwise questionable writers and editors at work, apparently driven to do all they can to generate baseless and groundless prejudice.

Disgusting.

Petty Hates

Post 15026

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Surely Anti-Vaxxers are more than a "petty" hate? smiley - erm

"Bic were actually the first to make them as far as I know, we weren't allowed to use them at school, you had to use a fountain pen"

Why on earth would they care what kind of pen you use?

For that matter, why would they insist on the less reliable, more expensive kind?

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15027

hammondorgan

Sorry Flo, I didn't mean to upset you honest, I was just writing in to the Petty Hates thread about one of my petty hates that's all, I'm really glad the gym works for you, what I was rather clumsily trying to say is I don't like the way going to a gym is sold as a cure all for the so called sedentary occupations we're all supposed to have these days, much better get out the workplace for half an hour to de-stress and take some exercise, then you've got an extra hour in the evening to do something interesting rather than meaningless exercising and paying through the nose for it, just my opinion.

Petty Hates

Post 15028

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

my petty hate....

my printer that almost always takes in two pages of paper at a time...
especially it seems if I only have two or three sheets of paper in the tray
unfortunately I forgot about this feature of the printer so when i asked it to print a double sided sheet I now have two separate sheets not really that big of an annoyance though i feel it is something of a waste of paper

Petty Hates

Post 15029

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

Actually, the thing that most convinced me, after watching hours, and hours, of "The moon landing were fake" vids, in response to "a rather morbid trend in the same vein as...conspiracy theory advocates who deny the Apollo Moon missions ever took place", was a quote from someone who'se name I'll never remember, but will be eternally grateful to, was...
"The one thing that convinced me the Americans did go to the Moon, was the fact that the Russians didn't", and then went on to explain the cost verses the prestige gained. The Russians wouldn't have binned their chance to be the first one's there for a fake!

Petty Hates

Post 15030

Sho - employed again!

no probs, Hammond.

although another PH of mine is being called Flo smiley - winkeyesmiley - kiss

Petty Hates

Post 15031

Cheerful Dragon

Sho, didn't you once have your name tag as 'Sho/Flo - what's the difference' (or something similar)?

Petty Hates

Post 15032

Sho - employed again!

I did because someone called me Flo...

Petty Hates

Post 15033

Cheerful Dragon

I guess your added slapping hand would soon put a stop to that kind of behaviour!smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 15034

hammondorgan

No mo' Flo Sho, sorry.

Petty Hates

Post 15035

Cheerful Dragon

I think h2g2 has been infiltrated by the Judoon!smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueout

Petty Hates

Post 15036

Sho - employed again!

no probs smiley - tea all round!

Petty Hates

Post 15037

Cheerful Dragon

Do the Judoon drink tea?

Petty Hates

Post 15038

quotes

My old gardening boots need discarding, but my newer ones are too good to demote to gardening duties. How about that for a really petty hate?

Petty Hates

Post 15039

Teasswill

My next PH: ladies will understand - people who stuff toilet paper/paper towels/ other erroneous items into the receiving bit of sanitary bins, so the next person can't effectively use the bin.

Petty Hates

Post 15040

Smudger879n

People who talk very LOUDLY when you are sitting outside in a beer garden, when you are trying to enjoy a quiet drink and chat with your company.smiley - sadface

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Key: Complain about this post