A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 14781

quotes

>>I have a particular interest in the Isle of Wight.

After hearing reports on it a couple of years ago, I found myself fascinated by the submerged Mesolithic boat yard at Bouldnor Cliff, and wondered what sort of vessels they would have been producing. An artist's impression would have been handy.

Petty Hates

Post 14782

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

"It isn't a world-encompassing war that claimed the lives of tens-of-millions of people and shifted the fate of everyone else left on the planet besides."

PH - the idea, which I often see so I hope I'm just misinterpreting here, that the world wars (and occasioanlly the American Civil War) are the only history worth a damn and the people who are condescending to those who think otherwise.

Petty Hates

Post 14783

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Yes, you're misinterpreting.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14784

I stand by my original statement, however.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14785

PH - people who confirm that I am misinterpreting something, but then don't elaborate so I can learn from the experience. smiley - tongueout

Petty Hates

Post 14786

Maybe those people are frosty.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14787

I don't understand... smiley - erm

PH - the difficulties my neurodiversity causes when communicting online.

Petty Hates

Post 14788

PH: Unreliable technology that undoes hours of work in an instant. Twice. smiley - grr

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14789

Pastey

PH: having a plaster on your finger/hand that pretty much stops you from doing anything involving liquid or food.

I can't make bread, I can't wash the paint rollers properly, I can't clean out my boiler properly. It's getting annoying.

Petty Hates

Post 14790

quotes

Pastey, it might be a good time to get something which kneads the bread for you.

Petty Hates

Post 14791

ITIWBS

...a quick spray of WD 40 and a rubber glove...

Petty Hates

Post 14792

You can call me TC

Use those surgical gloves that you can now get cheap in pakcs of 100 anywhere. You still have the same sense of touch as with bare hands - much more than with rubber gloves. For heavy mechanical work they wouldn't be any good, but for kneading bread they're fine. And afterwards you just peel them off and don't have to wash your hands.

Petty Hates

Post 14793

Pastey

I've tried gloves of different sorts in the past, afraid I just don't get on with them smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 14794

swl

Try being less critical and condescending with them Pastey.

Petty Hates

Post 14795

Pastey

Not possible smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 14796

swl

smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 14797

Thrice.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14798

ITIWBS

The WD 40 has a soothing and mild styptic effect, something I discovered doing a mechanical task I bled over, a little.

I meant gloves of the same type TC referred to above, also used by mechanics these days, since it beats lengthy scrubs to remove mechanical lubricants laden with microscopic particles of metal.

Petty Hates

Post 14799

Teasswill

Today's PH: eateries that don't show you the dessert menu until you've had mains. I like to plan my entire meal ahead - might prefer starter & no dessert, or lighter main if I fancy dessert.

Petty Hates

Post 14800

Bluebottle

Souvenir shops that sell nothing but tacky souvenirs of London, but are actually 300 miles away from London. Obviously there are people in York and Edinburgh etc who desperately want to buy plastic models of Queen Elizabeth Tower and the Houses of Parliament or they'd shut...

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more