A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 14401

Cheerful Dragon

Advice on first aid has changed over the years. When I was in St. John Ambulance 30 years ago were told to carry TCP or Savlon in our first aid kits for treating cuts and grazes. Now first aiders are told to just wash the cut in water. No antiseptic, not even soap. So don't let this smell of Dettol stress you out.

Petty Hates

Post 14402

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I imagine it's probably to prevent creating anti-biotic resistant strains of bacteria. Since it's only a minor wound.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14403

Cheerful Dragon

According to the NHS website, using antiseptic can damage tissue and slow healing. Antibiotic resistance has nothing to do with it.

Petty Hates

Post 14404

ITIWBS

Beats hell out gas gangrene, though.

Petty Hates

Post 14405

loonycat - run out of fizz

Dettol or witch hazel at school,TCP at home when I were a lass smiley - bruisedsmiley - nurse

Petty Hates

Post 14406

ITIWBS

...and I actually like witch hazel, which I use for a hair tonic and aftershave lotion... ...I had been thinking of mentioning that myself...

Petty Hates

Post 14407

Pastey

Stay away from me then, I'm allergic to witch hazel smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 14408

hammondorgan

Boils, whatever happened to boils! Have they been eradicated? Me ma used to put like a sugar and soap compress on the boil if I got one, the idea was I think that this would soften the skin so it would break easily and the boil burst, if it didn't she squeezed it which was a barrel of laughs. I remember great importance was attached to getting the 'core' out, something that seems to have been akin to a mandrake root, the amount of torture it took to extract it. I've never heard of anyone having boils for years, and blackheads, what happened to blackheads? I remember small ads in the Daily Mirror for this instrument for removing blackheads, I never knew anyone who would admit to buying one!

Petty Hates

Post 14409

Teasswill

Mums used to do a lot of home treatment didn't they!
Yes I think boils & blackheads still exist…..

Petty Hates

Post 14410

hammondorgan

Well Teas if I've got any I can't get to them and my missus refuses to carry out a detailed inspection!

Petty Hates

Post 14411

Pastey

Today's PH: Runners who make it look so easy.

Petty Hates

Post 14412

ITIWBS

Point on witch hazel noted, Pastey, I'll be sure and remember if I happen to be in your part of the world and refrain from using the witch hazel.

On runners who make it look easy, that was traditionally part of the training of the classical Olympians of ancient Greece, not to show the pain and to look as though they enjoyed it, rather than wearing their emotions on their sleeves.

Its an acquired habit often enhanced by training before a mirror.

Petty Hates

Post 14413

Cheerful Dragon

I'm having strange visions of runners with mirrors strapped to their heads so they can practice not showing pain.smiley - huhsmiley - weird

Petty Hates

Post 14414

ITIWBS

Having one posted at the finish line where they must face it usually turns the trick.

Petty Hates

Post 14415

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Speaking of mirrors: My Petty Hate of the Day is mirrors. And especially the kind of mirrors they always have in acting anc dance studios that take up an entire wall.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14416

loonycat - run out of fizz

Or in shop changing rooms that completely distort your appearance smiley - ermsmiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 14417

Sho - employed again!

but in dance studios and gyms, you need the mirrors to make sure you're moving correctly

my PH: public toilets if I'm wearing short sleeves and they don't have paper towels so I can open the door. I hate that bit between touching the handle and getting my hand sanitiser on my hands

Petty Hates

Post 14418

Teasswill

Public toilets - so rarely in a satisfactory sanitary condition. smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 14419

Cheerful Dragon

Cooking instructions that are wrong/don't make sense. I've put two pies in the oven. The instructions said 190 C/gas mark 6 1/2. For a fan-assisted oven, 180 C/gas mark 6. 190 C is gas mark 5, 180 C is gas mark 4. Luckily my oven is electric. Who knows what the pies would be like if I had a gas oven and didn't know the right settings.

Petty Hates

Post 14420

Pink Paisley

All the way back to post 14399.

'I love the smell of Old Spice, it reminds me of my dad. It's much nicer than some of the modern stuff.

Deb smiley - cheerup'

It is SO damaging for a man to be told that they smell like a woman's father. smiley - laugh

PP.

Key: Complain about this post