A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13881

Cheerful Dragon

The following is a link to the Kindle Books page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-eBooks-books/b/ref=nav_shopall_kbo5?ie=UTF8&node=341689031

Click on one of the Kindle Daily Deal links and you *should* see today's deals. Like I said, it works for me on Internet Explorer, but not on Firefox or Chrome, but the woman and Customer Support said it worked for her on all three.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13882

Sho - employed again!

at the risk of being a pest it's working for me in Chrome from Germany

Petty Hates

Post 13883

Lusus

It seems to work for me too on Firefox. I hope Pastey or someone has been able to help you resolve this problem for you.

Petty Hates

Post 13884

Cheerful Dragon

Time and again I'm hearing "It works on *my* computer", although one person on the Kindle help forums also has this problem. I'm beginning to think I may have to contact Chrome and or Firefox to get help on this one.

Petty Hates

Post 13885

Lusus

The one suggestion that comes to mind is, in Firefox, right click on the Kindle page then click on 'View Page Info'. Then in the window that opens check under the tabs that you haven't blocked anything, especially cookies.

Petty Hates

Post 13886

Pastey

Well, it looks like that element of the page is a "widget", so I'd guess that it's created by the browser itself from information sent over.

All I can guess, seeing as it's working on some computers and not others, is that it's either down to a setting on your browsers, or your browsers are old versions and they're using new code that they don't support.

The first thing is to make sure you're on the latest versions of those browsers. If you are, then I'd suggest just totally deleting the browsers to remove all settings, and then reinstalling them.
The major downside with that though is you'd lose any bookmarks.

Petty Hates

Post 13887

Lusus

There is a free system for backing up and syncing bookmarks in both Chrome and Firefox by using Xmarks. There may be other ways, but this is the one I know and use. http://www.xmarks.com

Petty Hates

Post 13888

Pink Paisley

It's been poted here before. But not by me.

Scratchy clothing labels. Particularly on underpants. They are new and were a pack of three and I've been stupid enough to have had the problem 3 days out of 4 so far this week.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13889

Pastey

I've been finding the label thing myself this week with my running gloves. There's one label, on the right hand glove, that goes onto your palm. Why? It's not even needed as all it say is the brand of gloves, which is printed on the outside of them!

Petty Hates

Post 13890

Cheerful Dragon

Thanks for the advice, Pastey. The browsers on all three devices are up-to-date. I'll try uninstalling the browsers from my tablet first. They're the ones with fewest settings to worry about. If that works, I'll try doing it on my laptop and netbook. If it doesn't work...!smiley - shrugsmiley - headhurtssmiley - huhsmiley - wah

Petty Hates

Post 13891

Cheerful Dragon

I just tried uninstalling Chrome from my tablet as it's the browser with the fewest bookmarks to lose. It worked, so I can now access Daily Deals from my tablet. That's the most important device as I usually shop for Kindle books from that.

Thanks for your help, Pastey.smiley - cheerssmiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

(As an aside, would clearing cookies work, as it's a widget that's causing the problem?)

Petty Hates

Post 13892

Pastey

It's hard to say. It might be a cookie, or it might be some setting somewhere.

Petty Hates

Post 13893

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Petty Hate: The fact that elevators in movies always have elevator music, whereas in real life elevators don't. The reason is obvious of course: it's inherently funny. But still completely defiant of real life.

I wish elevators had elevator music in real life. smiley - blue

smiley - pirate

Hidden

Post 13894

ITIWBS

The link in 138881 comes up just fine on my VZW Elipsis 7 tablet with Android/Chome OS on the Firefox Web browser (in southern California).

Haven't yet tried it with Chrome or Opera.

Opera is a sturdy workhorse that often comes through when nothing else does.

Of course, Amazon and Kindle apps come preinstalled on this system and I've a number of other supporting apps besides.

Hidden

Post 13895

Cheerful Dragon

I take it back. Uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome on my tablet did not fix the problem. It worked once yesterday, but it won't work today. I've tried clearing cache and data, uninstalling all browsers, turning the tablet off and on, and installing a different browser (Opera). Daily Deals don't appear. This makes me doubt that uninstalling and reinstalling on my laptop would have any effect.

This has gone from a Petty Hate to a major source of frustration and stress. I'm off to read some tree-books.smiley - cross

Hidden

Post 13896

Cheerful Dragon

OK, now I'm totally confused. Having just posted that the Daily Deals don't appear on Opera, I went back to look at some other books on the Kindle store. I tapped on the Daily Deals link out of habit and the deals were there! I'm not going to celebrate just yet. First I have to be able to access the deals from the email, then I have to be able to access them over several days. Wish me luck!

Hidden

Post 13897

Lusus

This may be a long shot Cheerful Dragon, but I am wondering if you have family browsing set on your anti-virus software. If so this may be treating Amazon's Daily Deals page as adult content and therefore blocking it.

Petty Hates

Post 13898

Lusus

I should also point out that family browsing can also be set in browser preferences, and I believe automatically with your ISP.

Hidden

Post 13899

Cheerful Dragon

I never set Family Browsing or any other kind of Parental Control on browsers or anything else. We have no children and there's no chance of anybody else's children getting access to my laptop, netbook or tablet.

Since my last post, I've been on Amazon via my netbook using Firefox. Daily Deals were accessible there, too. It makes me wonder if somebody at Amazon has tweaked their widget. (Stop sniggering at the back!)

Hidden

Post 13900

Pink Paisley

I say chaps, there is a thread specifically for this problem. Would you mind awfully taking it over there and let get back to hating things pettily here?

PP.

Key: Complain about this post