A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 12001

Pink Paisley

In which case you should probably meet Mike (Wooden leg) where I work. Although you probably know Mike. You know, he worked for the same people as Denise - the woman with massive eyes. Her sister was the one who swam the Atlantic blindfold. You MUST know HER!

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 12002

Pastey

Sounds like phone calls with my mother. You *know* your cousin Lucy, well her husband's brother in law, remember David?

Er, no. Last time I saw Lucy she was about 8 and I was about 6. All I ever know about her is when you try to convince me I know her. I'm sure she's a really nice person and all that, but I don't know her.

Petty Hates

Post 12003

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Oh for a 'like' button! Yes, my mum does that all the time. I now *feel* like I know these people I haven't clapped eyes on for 30 years, owing to the frequent mentions, but really? no.

Petty Hates

Post 12004

You can call me TC

I'm the Mum that does that. You see, lads, time goes at a different speed for us. So, we still think fondly of a distant cousin whom we may have only met once or twice 30 years ago, but it seems like 30 months to us, so we assume our offspring have the same memories. smiley - senior

Petty Hates

Post 12005

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

People posting links to things I don't find interesting or funny...unlike this one

http://9gag.com/gag/5743495

Petty Hates

Post 12006

Deb

Funny AND appropriate - well done smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 12007

KB

Jobs that are advertised with a ridiculously early closing date. It only went up this morning, so I've asked for an application form which they have to send me, and U have to complete and return before noon on Friday.

So, slightly cutting it fine. Especially when they insist it all has to be done by snail-mail. smiley - rolleyes

Petty Hates

Post 12008

quotes

KB, doesn't the early closing date mean that your prompt action has put you at a significant advantage over all those people who simply won't get their applications in on time?

Petty Hates

Post 12009

KB

smiley - laugh I suppose that's one way of looking at it - mine might not get there in time, but neither will anyone else's.

Petty Hates

Post 12010

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

The ones living above me. Communal living rules seem not to apply. Guess it's time for Rush at full volume then!

Petty Hates

Post 12011

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Fireworks that I can't see but can hear while I'm having to do work in the library

Petty Hates

Post 12012

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Speaking of closing dates; how 'bout when someone posts an apartment listing on, say, November 2nd that says the apartment will be available in October. smiley - huh

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 12013

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Ugh, studying in our library. Place is a shambles.

Question: do I follow the US election or do I go to bed? If I wake up and the US has that eejit for a president tomorrow, I'll be irked.

Petty Hates

Post 12014

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I've been having the same mental discussion

If I do decide to stay up I'll go cook myself pasta at about 2ish

Petty Hates

Post 12015

Pink Paisley

You may as well go to bed. The difference is being irritated before you go to bed tired or being irritated when you wake up refreshed and ready for it.

Or you could put off tossing and turning unable to sleep until tomorrow evening.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 12016

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I've never entirely understood why people in other countries take such an interest in this. Yes, I know that you're all influenced by it because of our massive military and economic power, but it's still not YOUR president, if you know what I mean.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 12017

Malabarista - now with added pony

It's a kind of horrified fascination that some of these things seriously come up as issues in an allgedly secular, first-world nation.

Petty Hates

Post 12018

HonestIago

>>I've never entirely understood why people in other countries take such an interest in this. Yes, I know that you're all influenced by it because of our massive military and economic power, but it's still not YOUR president, if you know what I mean.<<

Two-thirds of the president's job description is foreign affairs. Whoever gets chosen, he's arguably more our problem than he is yours. Plus *something* is going to happen between Israel and Iran in the next 4 years and whoever is in the Oval Office will influence just what that is. It's a truism that the only presidents who can get Israel to behave are second-term presidents with nothing to lose.

Some of us are just election nerds. I follow every national election I can understand.

Petty Hates

Post 12019

quotes

>>I've never entirely understood why people in other countries take such an interest in this.

We'll watch anything we're told to and imagine it's important. Before the Olympics, thousands of us watched a bunch of ordinary people take a torch around the country. What was the point? They could have been watching something really important instead, like Futurama.

Petty Hates

Post 12020

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Obama doesn't get the best three months of any politician now (as he's already president) - I've always thought being president-elect must be an amazing job

The US must have the longest run into a changeover of power after an election of any country

Key: Complain about this post