A Conversation for Ask h2g2

ID Cards - What's the problem ?

Post 401

azahar

I think the main argument against ID cards in the UK is that they are apparently going to include a lot of extra information and that people will have to directly pay for them.

In Spain the ID card has a photograph, fingerprint, date of birth, signature and home address. Pretty basic ID stuff. And although we obviously pay for it with our taxes, we don't have to pay cash for it.

Basically, it's the same information that is on my Canadian driving license (without the fingerprint). But what about people who don't drive - what do they do when they need to produce photo ID?

I find it very convenient to have easy-to-carry photo ID that is accepted everywhere here (to open a bank account, etc - also some, not all, shops ask to see it when you use your credit card). So it isn't something that you *have* to carry on your person at all times.

It also takes the place of a passport for travelling anywhere in the EU (excepting the UK), which is also convenient. If I lose my ID card I can just apply for a replacement at no cost. If I lose my passport it will cost me something like 80 euros to get a new one.

I wonder why the UK just doesn't adopt the same sort of simple ID card that is used in most other European countries.

az

Ictoan (Post 389) is an optimist

Post 402

MrMaven

It's worse than you think. Politicians will devise it and civil servants will implement it.

Not only that but if it's a single card we are using there will be absolutely no back up. Not only will people assume it's right, even if they are prepared to believe you when you say it's wrong, there will be no way of checking the data

If anybody believes that politicians are 100% trustable and civil servants infallible please say so but I'm not holding my breath

Ictoan (Post 389) is an optimist

Post 403

azahar

<> (MrMaven)

Um, a single card used how? Back up? I think I don't really understand the UK version of ID cards. Why people find them so threatening. Can anyone enlighten me?

As I say, the one I have here in Spain is simple photo ID. Not a problem.

az

Post 404

Ancient Brit

It's all in the thread.
All it needs is a 21st century version of the birth certificate to be issued to all new British Citizens as and when they are born/arrive.
Then take it from there. Pity it wasn't started in the year 2000.
IMHO in addition to the basic requirements it should have blood group and DNA details.

Post 405

Whisky

I think a lot of people are panicing under the misconception that the card itself is going to hold your life story...

No-one would be _that_ stupid...

All the information will be held on varioud databases, with the ID card used to access these databases.

As I've said a million times on the subject - do you _really_ think the banks are stupid enough to give you your credit records to carry around with you and the NHS stupid enough to give you your medical records.. and the council stupid enough to give you your council tax records... etc...

If that were the case then about 2 days after the first card were issued you'd see a thriving black market for various card services...

For a small sum (to be negotiated)
- we'll re-write your credit records to get you an AMEX gold card
- We'll re-write your medical records to get you a repeat prescription for heroin/morphine/the drug of your choice
- We'll re-write your tax records to show you've paid your next five-year's council tax in advance.

Post 406

Ancient Brit

smiley - okWhisky - You put it plain and simple.

This is the important bit.
< All the information will be held on various databases, with the ID card used to access these databases. >
At present who knows who holds what on these 'various' data bases ?

Post 407

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

<<This is the important bit.
< All the information will be held on various databases, with the ID card used to access these databases. >
At present who knows who holds what on these 'various' data bases ?>>

What difference would it make where the information will be help and what information will be held by whom?
Do you know where the information that is out there about you is being held as things are today?

The ID card would be a way for a person to not have to drag along two bills with your address on them, a photo ID, your driver's licence and your birth certificate to open an account at Blockbuster.

Post 408

MrMaven

Stangely Strange(Post 400) That is a very big assumptiom. Based on my trust of politicians and my knowledge of Civil Service efficency is there any shred of evidence that that is the case. I would submit that the opposite is almost inevitable. Any brave soul want to try and come up with conflicting evidence?

Post 409

GreyDesk

Going back to AB's question about chip & pin to protect my cash. Well no, I rather liked the back-up of having a piece of paper to which I could say, "that's not my signature."

But then myabe I'm a bit of a stick in the mud over this. BH (Calcutta) failed tells me that it is common for US folk not to sign the backs of their credit cards; and that in effect they are perfectly happy to wander round with cards that have no security to them what-so-ever, and might as well be cash!

Post 410

Xanatic

Well, in some countries they have pin numbers. I do not like the idea that in order to use my credit card, all anyone have to do is imitate the signature on the back of it.

Post 411

Ancient Brit

In the move over to chip and pin it is interesting to note that the credit barons can make and issue cards and give them away . In addition 'they' are talking about introducing biometric identity/protection all 'at no cost' to the end user. Yet indications are that British subjects are going to have to pay for an ID card using similar technology.
Go back to post one.
Anyone agreeing to carry an ID card should be offered inducements to do so. smiley - smiley
It goes without saying that if a credit card is needed to gain access to cash then an ID card should be necessary to obtain any form of government benefit.

Post 412

Ancient Brit

In the move over to chip and pin it is interesting to note that the credit barons can make and issue cards and give them away. In addition 'they' are talking about introducing biometric identity/protection all 'at no cost' to the end user. Yet indications are that British subjects are going to have to pay for an ID card using similar technology.
Go back to post one. Anyone paying for and agreeing to carry an ID card should be offered inducements to do so. smiley - smiley

Forget terrorism and human rights . In the end it's all about money. smiley - biggrin

Post 413

handsomeTurboMan

im not spending £160 pounds on a ID card i'll emgrate firstsmiley - cross

Post 414

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

So how much will it cost to emigrate?And where is the wonderful country that you would go to?smiley - smiley

Post 415

pieshifter

Ok, speaking about databases...

How about a basic card with info on for ID purposes only that can't be changed, but that card links to optional information fields that can be updated by the individual online as and when desired, so you can disclose as much or as little as you like, ie

medications
next of kin
etc etc

Obviously relying on the individual to input data could lead to people bullshitting, but if you were stopped by the police and gave them an ID card that had references to a dodgy license/mot no. then you would only be creating hassle for yourself. I personally would rather hand over a card with all the ref no.s on than take my documents to the station at a later date.
And if you were in an accident, they swipe at your ID, you have medical details, who to contacet etc.

Im all for the card, just make the extra info optional and accessable by me.

Post 416

azahar

I still do not understand why this new UK ID card needs to include all this 'extra information' or why it should cost people anything (out of pocket).

Why isn't the UK simply proposing ID cards similar to those used in many other European countries?

az

Post 417

Ancient Brit

An ID card needs to be no more than a positive proof of identity.
Once established it could be used to officially/efficiently register 'all' electronic data that is presently held about you. This could be of advantage to the citizen as well as the state.
Of course in the long run it would detract from the pleasure of searching for your family history. smiley - biggrin
A958719

Post 418

Ancient Brit

For A958719 Click here:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/approved_entry/A958719

Post 419

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Why doesn't the /dna link work? smiley - huh

Post 420

Ancient Brit

The entry was written for 'Book of the Future'
Barlesque happened to reveal them.

Key: Complain about this post