A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Stupid users

Post 121

Sorcerer

Using ALT-nnn will only work if your computer has the proper codes, etc. &code; works on any computer

Stupid users

Post 122

Sorcerer

Who's Art?smiley - winkeye

3smiley - biggrin

Recipe for Organisational Success

Post 123

Sorcerer

Engineering.

Recipe for Organisational Success

Post 124

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Spot on.

Stupid users

Post 125

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

On the stupidity of users, I had this thought: http://www.h2g2.com/A162497

Stupid users

Post 126

I think that's the point - Linus Torvalds is a - ahem - foreign gentleman, and I think he pronounces his name "linn-us"

Stupid users

Post 127

I would say that fits the observed facts smiley - smiley

As for no children, cheer all you like but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Stupid users

Post 128

Have you ever played "Famous Belgians?"

The aim of the game is to think of famous people from Belgium. The winner is the last person to actually think of one. Normally Hercule Poirot is allowed, but you can't have both Hervé and Tintin.

Stupid users

Post 129

Necro (Patron Daemon of Patron Saints)

On the subject of Belgians, Famous, try Guide entry A162334. For a diatribe on the inherent seriousness of some Guide entries, try entry number A162299.

Oh, is it my turn? Georges "l'Animal" de Bilde. Soccer player. See entry A162334 for more information.

Stupid users

Post 130

Leo Bakeland, inventor of Bakelite

Stupid users

Post 131

Anonymouse

Drug trafficing. smiley - winkeye

Stupid users

Post 132

Anonymouse

Bzzzt! smiley - winkeye

It's pronounced linn-ux (though commonly mispronounced lie-nux).

"How to Pronounce Linux

Pronouncing the word Linux is one of the great mysteries of the Linux world.   Americans pronounce the name Linus with a long i sound as in style.  However, because Linux was originally based on a small PC-based implementation of UNIX called Minix (pronounced with a short i), the actual pronunciation of Linux preserves this characteristic: It's LIH-nucks."

Hope that helps. smiley - winkeye

Stupid users

Post 133

Necro (Patron Daemon of Patron Saints)

Sorry, sorry. That should be 'dead', not 'deap'. Oh and the search should be for 'illustrious Guide', or 'thick wooly sweaters'. Thankyou.smiley - winkeye

Stupid users

Post 134

That was kind of my point smiley - smiley

Stupid users

Post 135

Anonymouse

I realize that now, but I'd ducked. smiley - winkeye

RIP Brouhaha

Post 136

Dandelion Pegleen

You can look up from your toecaps now - the requiem mass for Brouhaha is over. smiley - smiley

But seriously, although born in America and prone to over-enthusiasm, I was brought up in Britain (3½ to 26) and do mean what I say, even if I say it a bit emphatically. You are clearly a source of good ideas and clear writing for h2g2. Your home page is entertaining, and the Guide Entry you reference lower down this thread (http://www.h2g2.com/A162497) should be Authorised immediately! When I think of a suitably witty laudatory comment, I shall add it to your forum. Please keep up the good work!

Your fan, Dandelion Pegleen (Dad studied to be an engineer, Dad's brother is an engineer, Dad's Dad was an engineer - my maths was too weak but I think I could be a chaos engineer one day...) smiley - smiley

RIP Brouhaha

Post 137

My birth certificate says "Father's occupation: Electrical Engineer", as does my wife's birth certificate, as do those of our children. It's in t' blood, tha knows.

Have you read http://www.h2g2.com/a163108 ? I got carried away...

Stupid users

Post 138

Jan^

Guy, I think we fundamentally agree, and I can't argue with a fellow Flanders & Swann fan. Have some Madeira M'dear, so to speak.

Stupid users

Post 139

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

Cool jester smiley. Gotta use it.

3smiley - smiley

Stupid users

Post 140

Anonymouse

That drifting thread can be a problem...

(Only during Pass, of course! smiley - winkeye)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more