A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 9001

Cheerful Dragon

Correction: it should have been The Science of Shakespeare, not Shakespeare's Science. It's still another book about the 16th century, though.

Post 9002

Cheerful Dragon

According to my Kindle app I have 795 books, of which 593 are unread. Yesterday I checked my Amazon account and found that about 200 of them were bought more than five years ago. 24 of those are "Complete Works" by various authors, so I probably have more than 1000 unread books that were bought more than five years ago.

I've added some old books to my Currently Reading collection, so I now have fourteen books on the go on Kindle, plus one print book - Perdita by Paula Byrne.

Post 9003

Cheerful Dragon

One of the ebooks I'm reading is City of Sin by Catherine Arnold. It's about the sexx trade in London from Roman times to the present day. So far I've learned the origins of the words fornication, whorehouse and why some brothels were known as stews. I've also discovered that in Roman times Jay Leno's surname meant pimp (lena meant a madam). Over all it's an interesting book - the level of church involvement was an eye-opener.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more