A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1181

Viojen 2*16+1+3+6=42. Fencing-it's escrime!

I'm also reading 1984 (Orwell).
And Jane Eyre (Bronte).

Post 1182

azahar

Have finished reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Not sure if it has made me believe in god, but there is no doubt about Richard Parker!

Post 1183

dasilva

About a third of the way through "Hitchhiker" but have paused as I have a month to get through Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" - the film was dreadful and I want to see just how much a hash they made of it smiley - tongueout

Post 1184

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

am listening to Lord Of the Rings (full version, proper audio book not radio edition)!

omy smiley - cheerup

Post 1185

DogManStar

A History Of The Soviet Union, by, oh, I forget, it's at home. Good though. Those revolutionaries were such minxes.

Post 1186

Renee6612 - resurrected

Bird By Bird - Anne Lamott

~Renee smiley - tomato

Post 1187

Amy

I have been reading all of Robert Harris' fiction: Archangel, Fatherland, and Enigma - all brilliant. You don't need to know a lot of history, but with Fatheralnd espesially it helps to have an encyclopedia beside you to look up the futures that might have been (President Joseph Kennedy is a beautiful example)

Also Catch 22, which is lovely. Washington Irving has been mysteriously turning up in our school's sign-in book ever since I read it.

And anyone who likes fantasy should be reading the Song of Ice and Fire serise by George RR Martin. vvv good.

Post 1188

puzzlella (playing word games, solving puzzles)

Passing go by Libby Purves

I seem to read a lot of contemporary fiction these days.

Post 1189

Mammuthus Primigenius

I'm reading, How the Universe got its spots. Janna Levin's diary arguing that the universe is not infinite, just very big.

Best book on cosomology I can remember reading.

Post 1190

Wulfric

I enjoyed How the Universe Got It's Spots. smiley - ok

Reading "The Mist in the Mirror" by Susan Hill. Spooky smiley - ghost

Post 1191

Cheerful Dragon

Shakespear's Kings by John Julius Norwich - a look at the Plantagenet kings from Shakespear's plays and how accurate the depictions are.

Tutankhamun and the Valley of the Kings by Otto Neubert - a rather old book on Tutankhamun by one of the team that discovered the tomb.

Post 1192

azahar

who wrote How the Universe got its Spots ? Intriguing title.

Post 1193

Wulfric

Janna Levin.

It's written as a series of letters explaining various theories about the universe - black holes, etc. Also includes more mundane things like moving house, boyfriends, etc.

Post 1194

Abi

John Le Carre - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

It's very dense but very good. smiley - smiley

Post 1195

Sho - employed again!

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

so far it's fab, which is saying something (I'm reading it hot on the heels of one of my absolutely favourite novels)

Post 1196

psychocandy-moderation team leader

At the moment I'm re-reading Tolkien's 'Unfinished Tales'.

Earlier last week, for some inexplicable reason, I read Roget's Thesaurus from cover to cover. smiley - weird Hopefully I've at least improved my vocabulary.

Post 1197

Bagpuss

The things we do to stave off boredom, ennui, tedium, the doldrums, listlessness, languor.

Finished "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. Started "Mythology 101", can't remember the author, but it's about elves living in a university library basement.

Post 1198

Jane Bane

finally read Their Eyes Were Watching God which was a lot more enjoyable than i expected for some reason, seems like everyone was reading it back in high school... best american lit reading so far, definitely.
now i plan to start Oscar Wilde Discovers America, a novel by louis edwards.

Post 1199

Little Mischief

'The Bourne Identity' by Robert Ludlum. It's been so long since I've read it I can't tell how much they screwed up the film, so I'm refreshing my memory.

'Primary Colors' by Anonymous. I know this was very popular when it was first published but the subject didn't really interest me too much. Politics still isn't what I would call "riveting reading", but I'm enjoying it much more than I expected I would.

Revisiting my youth with 'Bunnicula' by James and Deborah Howe, for the little one at bedtime smiley - smiley

Post 1200

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

read 'dragonsong' this morning. now half way thru 'dragonsinger' (~UK time btw) both Anne Mcaffreys for those poor souls who dint know smiley - smiley

omy smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post