A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8561

Sho - employed again!

just finished the 2nd GoT book - up to about the last 150 pages (and just about all of the first book) the TV series was pretty much a direct translation to the small screen of the books.

I'm reading Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight as light relief before starting the 3rd GoT :D

Post 8562

Cheerful Dragon

That's where I have a problem, Sho. I have the complete GoT series on my Kindle. I've read the first two and I've been taking a break from them. While I'm on holiday I can either start book 3 or read something completely different. I've got so many books on my Kindle that I'm spoiled for choice!smiley - biggrin

Post 8563

Sho - employed again!

I have really really enjoyed the books - I'm pacing myself because I don't want to finish them too quickly! But I've only seen the first two seasons on DVD and am impatiently waiting for the 3rd (I won't have read the book by then) but after that my reading will be ahead of my viewing.

Have a good holiday!

Post 8564

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Halfway through Zone One by Colson Whitehead.

It's not a bad take on the zombie genre, but is a bit too slow-paced and navel gazey for me.

Post 8565

Cheerful Dragon

Just back from my holiday and here's what I read (in no particular order):

Finished Claudius the God by Robert Graves
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
A Storm of Swords part 1 by G R R Martin
Antonina by Wilkie Collins (his first novel)
The Creation of Anne Boleyn by Susan Bordo
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Catherine the Great by Robert K Massie

I also read a bit more of Decline and Fall - about 5% through now.

Now I'm home I'll be giving the Kindle a rest and concentrating on tree-books for a while. Wilkie Collins' novel and Decline and Fall are products of their time as regards attitudes to Romans and barbarians, and I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of the Goths' behaviour in Antonina, so my next tree-book will be Terry Jones' Barbarians.

Post 8566

Cheerful Dragon

Finished Barbarians and started All the King's Women by Derek Wilson. According to the subtitle it's about 'Love, sex and politics in the life of Charles II'.

Post 8567

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes
Picked up a copy of Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
at a jumble sale the other day. I can see now why
he was invited to write book six of the HHGG trilogy;
he has a colourful way round a non-sequitur, but, my
goodness, it is tame stuff. Yeah I know it's supposed
to be a kids' book but my mind is actually creating
cartoon versions of the action as I read.

Somewhere between Ninja Turtles and Scoooby Doo.
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Post 8568

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I reread Filth after watching the film and completely fell in love with Irvine Welsh's Edinburgh all over again.

Post 8569

Cheerful Dragon

A while ago I said I would only have one book on the go at a time. Well, I've got a cold and it's reached the headachey/painful sinuses stage. I can't cope with history, so I've switched to The Non Born King by Julian May.

Post 8570

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - headhurts
>> headachey/painful sinuses <<
smiley - sadface Seasonal allergies are no fun.

smiley - doctor So... yeah...
Lay off the serious stuff like History smiley - prof
and dive into some lighter material. smiley - jester

smiley - cheerup
~jwf~

Post 8571

Sho - employed again!

I hope you feel beter soon, CD

I'm reading the third book in the Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones) series. Gripping stuff and I'm really seeing differences between this and the TV series.

Also reading Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese which is described* thusly
"While on assignment in Utah, Christine Temetri isn’t surprised when yet another prophesied Apocalypse fails to occur. After three years of reporting on End Times cults for a religious news magazine, Christine is seriously questioning her career choice. But then she meets Mercury, a cult leader whose knowledge of the impending Apocalypse is decidedly more solid than most: he is an angel, sent from heaven to prepare for the Second Coming but distracted by beer, ping pong, and other earthly delights. After Christine and Mercury inadvertently save Karl Grissom—a film-school dropout and the newly appointed Antichrist—from assassination, she realizes the three of them are all that stand in the way of mankind’s utter annihilation. They are a motley crew compared to the heavenly host bent on earth’s destruction, but Christine figures they’ll just have to do. Full of memorable characters, Mercury Falls is an absurdly funny tale about unlikely heroes on a quest to save the world."

*Praise be, an actual blurb rather than 42 gushing review extracts. smiley - boing

Post 8572

Pastey

Sounds like my kind of book too smiley - smiley

Post 8573

Sho - employed again!

I'm really enjoying it - it remiinds me a little of Dirk Gently and Second Coming. Sort of. But not exactly.

Post 8574

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I really should finish my book of Scottish folk tales. It's the sort of book that works if you dip into it every now and again, like Grimm's Fairy Tales or something of that ilk.

Post 8575

Cheerful Dragon

Still suffering with a cold. I know that flu lasts a month or more when I get it (messed-up immune systemsmiley - sadface), but a cold lasting more than two weeks is a real bummer.

Skip to the end if you don't want to read a lengthy explanation / self-justification.

I actually have two books on the go, despite promising myself I wouldn't do that any more. Most of the time it's Non Born King. However, I've been trying to compile a spreadsheet of which books I can replace on Kindle and how much it will cost. (I've done about 500 out of 1100 books, not all can be replaced and the total is already £1300!smiley - yikes). I have a music stand next to my desk and I use it to support tall books. I started to read Prehistoric Life by David Norman as it was on my 'Not Read' list. About 1/3 through I realised that I *had* read it, so I put it aside. I'm now reading Ape Man by Rod Caird.

OK, so that's Non Born King by Julian May and Ape Man by Rod Caird if you didn't want to wade through the explanation.

Post 8576

Sho - employed again!

I have just finished Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese. Totally brilliant. I think if you liked the Hitchhiker books - this will be right up your street.

Post 8577

Cheerful Dragon

Finished Ape Man. Halfway through Non Born King and back on to King Charles' women.

Post 8578

Metal Chicken

I've been reading 'The Minority Council, one of Kate Griffin's Midnight Mayor series - urban fantasy I suppose. An entertaining light read.

Post 8579

Cheerful Dragon

Finished with King Charles' Women. Just starting Captain Cook: The Seamen's Seaman by Alan Villiers. (Stop tittering at the back!smiley - rolleyes) I don't think the author was related to one of King Charles' mistresses. It's a very distant relationship if he was! (Villiers was an Aussie.)

Post 8580

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>I have just finished Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese. Totally brilliant. I think if you liked the Hitchhiker books - this will be right up your street.

Sho, I read that one a while back and I loved it! I was actually planning to re-read it soon (I was going to start with all the books on the shelf that one is on), but I got a few new ones for my birthday...

... One of which was "Zone One". One of the best books I've read in a while. I wish that I'd found this when I was in a post-apocalyptic mood last year, and wasted my time reading the tedious "The Road".

Key: Complain about this post