A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 621

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Just finished Toby Litt's Deadkidsongs - disturbing, but very good.
Then I sprinted through P.G Wodehouse's 'Service with a Smile' on the train home today - felt like a little Uncle Fred to lighten things up!

Post 622

Fish Dispenser 31292b

Well, the US version doesn't have that part... and besides the ones from HP the only prefect I've heard of is Ford. (Heh-heh.) Well, anyway, at some point I'm going to start reading So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish, (I've read the first three again because I saw the DVD of the TV version and thought it was cool so I re-read the books.) and hopefully we'll find it.

Post 623

Beatrice

Barry Norman's "Death on Sunset". I dont usually read murder/ thriller type books, but this is so well written that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's also very funny. Plus the police inspector shares his name with my son....

I usually read in bed before going to sleep, so short chapters are very welcome.

Post 624

friendlywithteeth

Gormenghast: Mervyn Peake

Post 625

Henry

"The Surgeon of Crowthorne" by Simon Winchester. A true tale of murder, madness, and the compilation of the OED.

Followed by "Climbing Mount Improbable" by Richrd Dawkins. If he's lucky.

Post 626

Metal Chicken

Just starting Joanne Harris's 'Five quarters of an orange'

Also reading every gardening book and website I can get hold of - in need of plants my voracious slugs won't eat for breakfast smiley - sadface

Post 627

Mister Matty

"I, Claudius" by Robert Graves.

It's quite a different book to "Count Belisarius" by the same author. "Count Belisarius" was mostly about the wars of the Roman Empire in the early Byzantine period as well as some of it's politics. So far "I, Claudius" is about interpersonal relationships and Roman politics at the time of the beginning of the Empire.

Post 628

friendlywithteeth

my mum uses eggshells baked in an oven: I'm not sure what it does or how nice it is to the slugs and snails but as mum says, when they eat your geraniums it becomes personal!

Post 629

mctrmt...

"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon

Post 630

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

The Pickup by Nadime Gordimer

Post 631

liekki

I just started reading Jane Austen's Persuasion. (she's my favourite writer) But this time I'm having a go at reading it in English. It's complete hell! Nobody talks that way in real life! A forty minute's train ride got me to page three...smiley - blush

Post 632

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

Just finished Ian M. Banks' Feersum Endjin and am just about to start Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

So I'm currently between books.

Liam.

Post 633

Mr. Legion

Just finished Dead Famous by Ben Elton. Great satire on Big Brother, and if you watch the show you can totally match real people to the characters. Which may not be a healthy thing...anyway, very funny and with a great ending. I read it in about six hours straight. Once again, not healthy...but compelling.

Post 634

Beatrice

yeah i couldnt put dead famous down!

now onto Dirk Gently. I bought the salmon of doubt but decided to reread the first 2 books first

Post 635

Ommigosh

Have also read "The Surgeon of Crowthorne" (see Frogbit's post above). Very fascinating and sad. A good read.

Have just finished "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. A very anti-war science fiction classic written by a Vietnam veteran. Soldiers who survive tours of duty return to Earth many years into their own future due to too much zipping about at near light speed.
They are almost like aliens on their own home planet which has changed a lot and can then choose the only life they know....more active service in a pointless war against an unknown enemy.

Also reading Philip K Dick's acclaimed "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" which gave birth to the Bladerunner film. Weird, sad and more than a bit depressing.

Post 636

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

'I Claudius', and 'Claudius the God' have got to be two of the best books ever written in the 20th century! Ever. Anytime. Ever! I read them at the same time as William Horwood's 'Duncton Hill' and borrowed Suetonius from a boyfriend, to see what Graves had used for source material. Amazing, he hadn't fictionalised very much at all! smiley - magic

Post 637

Cheerful Dragon

Reply to posting 631: Yesterday I finished reading 'Emma' by Jane Austen. I agree, nobody talks like that in real-life *these days*, but language was a lot more formal then. The thing I had problems with (other than having any sympathy with Emma in the early chapters) was the lack of verb contractions. Nobody said 'don't you' or 'won't you'; it was always 'do not you' or 'will not you', which sounds wrong - 'do you not' or 'will you not' sound better, but still awkward. And "aren't I" (the only contraction) was written as "an't I", which kind of supports the attitude I took in another conversation some months ago. (Can't remember the thread, but we were discussing why we never say "amn't I".)

Post 638

Cheerful Dragon

Oh, nearly forgot. I've just started reading 'River God' by Wilbur Smith. Richard gave me the sequel, 'Warlock' for my birthday, and I wanted to reread 'River God' first. I'm also reading 'Watership Down' again, for the first time in years.

Post 639

liekki

"An't I"? Maybe Ms Austen was bored in her little cottage and thought it might be fun to re-arrange the English language a bit...smiley - erm

Post 640

Jack-oh, back on dry land for three whole weeks...

Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton....

space opera, alien planets.... humans gone bad in the future... lost first love... and so and so forth... lots of daring do... and technology

smiley - rocketsmiley - rocketsmiley - rocketsmiley - rocketsmiley - rocketsmiley - rocket

can't put it down

Jack-oh

Key: Complain about this post