A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2961

aka Bel - A87832164

And some Spanish lessons would probably not be wrong, except you already speak Spanish smiley - biggrin

Post 2962

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

smiley - erm Spanish is like a foriegn language to me smiley - winkeye
fortunately I'm travelling with someone who can speak pretty good Spanish

Post 2963

aka Bel - A87832164

That's ok then, but it certainly can't harm if you know a few essential words yourself. smiley - ok

Post 2964

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I shall add it to my to do list (if I can find where I put it) smiley - smiley

Post 2965

aka Bel - A87832164

There's a Spanish section here : <./>A2660087</.>

Post 2966

that looks like work smiley - yikes

Post 2967

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm sure you'll pick it up soon enough smiley - cheerup

Post 2968

ok, I shall take a look smiley - smiley

Post 2969

Lizzbett

This week I have finished "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell. I think that what interested me most about this book is just how firmly rooted it is in time it was written. I think it says a lot about the post war era. I felt slightly disappointed by the ending, but then again I don't think Orwell did 'happy ever after' endings.

I have now started "Mrs Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf. Her stream of conciousness style is going to take some getting used to. I'm already about half way through the book and have completely lost track of what is going onsmiley - laugh I think this is probably a book that will require a second reading.

Post 2970

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

Travels With A Donkey In The Cevennes. by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Has anyone else here read this quirky little volume? More power to Donkeys I say!smiley - laugh

Post 2971

Sho - employed again!

Just started The Two Towers. I love this one. I remember the first time I read it and it just knocked me out.

Still reading HP1 to the Gruesomes, we can only do a chaper a night, and the chapters are flaming long.

Can I jump into the MZB discussion. Mists of Avalon was great, didn't read any of the others in that series. I did read the Atlantis one (Web of Darkness) and The Firebrand, but by that time I'd read all the Darkover novels. I love the Darkover stuff, but to be honest her writing does get very very samey. Some of the collections of short stories are good, and especially those by "fans".

I'm determined to read something new (and good) since I just finished an excrable John Francome thing. Then I'll go into The Far Pavillions. This year is a year for rereading I think.

Post 2972

Mists of Avalon is 1 of my favourite Arthurian novels, the others being the trilogy 'Down the Long Wind' by Gillian Bradshaw and 'The Once and Future King' by T.H. White.
The U.S. TV mini-series of MoA stank however smiley - grr

Post 2973

aka Bel - A87832164

I've never seen the series, so can't comment. The very first Arthurian legend novels I read many years ago were: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment, by Mary Stewart. They focus on Merlin, and I really loved them. Perhaps I should reread them.

Post 2974

archShade

The long dar tea time of the sole. by dougless adams (again)
SuperNature. and The gods by Issac azimov

Post 2975

I quite enjoyed the Mary Stewart series
If you can get hold of the Gillian Bradshaw series it is very good
Focuses on Gwalmachai (Gawaine)

Post 2976

aka Bel - A87832164

I think I've read 'Kingdom of Summer', but don't know for sure. If it is what I guess it is, I liked it, so maybe I should watch out for the other books smiley - ok

Post 2977

Thats the one smiley - smiley
The others in the series were 'Hawk of May' and 'In Winter's Shadow'

Post 2978

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Lilith by George Macdonald - it's fantastically unusual!

Post 2979

Lizzbett

I have finished reading 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf. It was rambling, irrelevant and beautifully described nonsense and I loved it! What fantastic prose writing.

I am now without a library book until later in the week, so I am reading issue 46 of QWF, which is full of many very fine short stories.

Post 2980

Abderian_sophist

I'm about half-way through 'Main Street' by Sinclair Lewis. The 'comic' depiction of group-think, small mindedness, greed, class conflict, xenophobia and ubiquitous prejudice in small-town America in the early 20th century is eerily evocative of the state of things in much of early 21st century America.

A good read? Yes.

Funny? Not so much.

smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more