from pedant to motorist to...

Post 4961

six7s

isn't that *quo voidis?* <?>

Quo voidis?

Post 4962

Spiff

smiley - laugh

er, i came across a new word on h2g2 today and thought I'd throw it into the mix here: conspiracists.

Not in my Chambers; about 2,000 hits on google (compared to 26,000 for "conspiracy theorists")

any takers?

Post 4963

You can call me TC

makes you feel smiley - ill ill

Quo voidis?

Post 4964

alji's

One holding a conspiracy theory - Yes you can count me in on that one, perhaps I should write an entry.

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Member of The Guild of Wizards U197895)

Post 4965

alji's

ectopia - An abnormal location or position of an organ or a body part, occurring congenitalOf the heart. ly or as the result of injury

cordis - Of the heart.

ectopia cordis - An abnormal location or position of the heart.

pericardial - Of, relating to, The membranous sac filled with serous fluid that encloses the heart and the roots of the aorta and other large blood vessels.

sternal - Of, relating to, or near the sternum.

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Member of The Guild of Wizards U197895)

Post 4966

IctoanAWEWawi

Thankyou !

I never knew there was a sack round my heart with some serious fluid in it.

Post 4967

PQ

This one has been bothering me for years...

Why are hail stones called hail stones - I understand the stoney bit - but why the hail????

Post 4968

Is mise Duncan

It's a case of two words evolving into one spelling..."hail" as in stones is from Old English "haegel" whereas "hail" as in call seems to be from middle English "heille" which also has something to do with health..

Hail

Post 4969

Gnomon - time to move on

Hail just happens to be the word for small balls of ice falling from the sky. It has to be called something. The word is very old, dating back to Anglo-Saxon times, (pre-Norman Conquest) when it was spelt hægl.

Gooogle aint no spillchekkerh>

Post 4970

six7s

Being a quiet WENSDAY night, I thought I'd do some RESEACH into GOOOGLE and maybe try some PSYCHANALYSIS regarding the PREVALANCE of SPELLLING mistakes in COMMERCIAL and PRIVITE web PAGIS.
The RESULLTS were STAGERING. I think the UNIVERSTY poeple must shoulder some RESPONSIBLITY

Typo==========================Number of Hits
=========================================
Seperate============================= 596,000
Developement===================== 180,000
Commerical==================== 176,000
Reseach====================== 88,600
Poeple==================== 61,400
Responsiblity============ 59,200
Universty============== 21,200
Pagis=============== 17,200
Wensday============ 8,250
Privite============ 6,610
Prevalance====== 4,720
Spellling======== 1,360
Gooogle========= 876
Stagering======= 855
Psychanalysis = 549
Resullts====== 495

Post 4971

Gnomon - time to move on

Interesting, but I'll bet it is a drop in the ocean compared with the correct spellings. Remember that Google has indexed more than a billion pages.

Post 4972

DoctorGonzo

NTK has had a few links to google with rude misspellings of words (Damn, I wish my dictionary was at the top of that box, so I could check misspellings). Stuff like 'county council', but with a missing 'o'. Most amusing. Well, the first couple were...

British slang

Post 4973

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> We're *NOT* pedants! <<

Darn right we're not TC. smiley - ok Well, I know you're not and I refuse to believe what they say about me at the best of times, good or bad. smiley - bigeyes

My point was that an open account 'user' page that anyone could log into as 'Brit Eng' might prove too tempting for some. Especially 'the Pedants'.

They might scurry like a whirlwind through hootooville, posting retorts, criticisms, corrections and disdainful comments in the relative anonymity of 'Brit Eng'. We would all be held accountable for someone else's abuse of the British English community's authourity.

So a very small committee of say five or six founders and long time contributors - say Gnomon, Kaeori, Star and TC for starters - would have to establish the user page and keep that ID password to themselves. The rest of us would have to be ourselves. I usually am anyway.

Except when I'm <./>AGGGAG</.> and then everyone knows it's me - unless of course it's tonsil revenge or Subcom.Deidzoeb or Martin or Bossel or Spiff or Zaphod or....
Anybody seen Hobbes?
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Hail

Post 4974

Munchkin

So, how does the religious Hail Mary fit into that? Are they calling down Mary from the sky, weather like, to sort out their problems or are they calling upon her in a chatty Good Afternoon sort of way?

Psycho analysis

Post 4975

Researcher 188007

At least 'psychanalysis' reflects how the word should be formed.

Hail

Post 4976

Mycroft

Neither, Munchkin, it's more of a Hail to the Chief sort of way. Hail Mary is the standarized English translation of Ave Maria.

The pedants are revolting!

Post 4977

plaguesville

J'accuse!

jwf
"My point was that an open account 'user' page that anyone could log into as 'Brit Eng' might prove too tempting for some. Especially 'the Pedants'."

We pedants provide a useful function. Not only do we correct erroneous or sloppy writing or thinking which could misinform lesser mortals, but we offer an easy target for anyone looking for an unguarded back in which to bury a hatchet.

smiley - tongueout

Post 4978

six7s

Not only do we correct erroneous AND sloppy writing or thinking THAT could misinform lesser mortals, but ALSO we offer an easy target for anyone looking for an unguarded back in which to bury a hatchet.
smiley - tongueout
smiley - run

six7's smiley - winkeye
*living by the sword*

Post 4979

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> We pedants provide a useful function. <<

Hail me a cab woodja.

~j~

Post 4980

six7s

U162344

Am so pleased to find a site with intelligents. And educated input!
Pleasure to read even the pedants on Grammer/GrammAr an' spelin.
Must resist temptation to campaign for more understanding and tolerance from Anglophonies...

smiley - run

smiley - tongueout

six7's smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post