This is the Message Centre for KB

That poor kid!

Post 1

KB

God, I felt sorry for that kid! He can't have been more than five or six, and his dad was giving him a seriously heavy lecture about how he'd need to straighten up and fly straight because he has to go to law school and become a barrister! I mean...jeez.

Unless his dad lightens up, that kid will be no barrister: he'll have a nervous breakdown before he's thirty and spend the rest of his life drinking turpentine outside the bus station.

That poor kid!

Post 2

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

sometimes parents say terrible things to children and put them under so much stress to make up for their own failed dreams and expectations

That poor kid!

Post 3

You can call me TC

Why can't parents just talk normally to their kids? And anyway, conversations like that should never take place before the kid is 15 and definitely behind closed doors. But that was your point, really, wasn't it?

That poor kid!

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Even when the child is 15, there are limits as to how useful such a conversation would be... I know someone whose dad decided his career for him, so that he would be rich in future - he went to university, but disliked the subject so much, he couldn't do it and had to drop out... He found a different career path himself and is now doing well!

My dad must be a bit disappointed in me, as he was very driven and rose quickly to the top of his profession before retiring early, whereas I'm drifting about near the bottom of my profession because I'm not driven enough or something, but I'm happy to have a job that pays me enough to get by, and my dad is happy that I'm doing ok...

Must be difficult for parents, I don't know, but it seems to me that they are more likely to be happy with their children if they don't have fixed ideas of how their children should be!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for KB

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more