A Conversation for Sherlock Holmes Part I - the Character

Extra details on Sherlock Holmes

Post 1

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Firstly, Danny - this is magnificent!

The real 221b - the Abbey National (which runs from 215-229 Baker Street no longer handles mail for Mr Holmes; they now forward it on to the museum down the street.

Clothes
In A Study in Scarlet, he wears an ulster (a loose overcoat).
In 'The Boscombe Valley Mystery' he wears a long, grey tralleing cloak and a cloth cap, and later a set of waterproofs.
In 'The Adventure of Silver Blaze' he wears an ear-flapped travelling cap (dearstalker?)
In 'Hound of the Baskervilles', he wears a tweed suit and cloth cap.

In 'The Adventure of Black Peter' we learn that he keeps five other locations in London aside from 221b, in case he needs to disguise myself.

He has given up drugs by 'The Missing Three-quarter'.
In 'The Second Stain', Watson reveals that Holmes retired to keep bees on Sussex Downs, though he comes out of retirement in 'His Last Bow'.

Though in A Study in Scarlet, Holmes appears to be ignorant of the Solar System, by 'The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter' he has a very good astronomical knowledge.

Suffers at least one ('The Reigate Squires', possibly two ('The Devil's Foot') nervous breakdowns in his life
Watson
In 'The Red-headed League' Holmes accuses Watson of embellishing his cases when he writes them up.

Post 2

Danny B

Hmm... smiley - blush It may be magnificent by the time it's finished. At the moment it's a fairly random collection of ideas that I hope I've got in some sort of sensible order..! smiley - headhurts Work-willing, I'll find some time to work on this in the next couple of weeks or so smiley - erm

Anyway, thanks for the additional info - I'll add it to the Entry as soon as I can get round to it!

smiley - cheers

Post 3

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I think it's magnificent you've done so much! Hurrah to you!

Post 4

Researcher PSG

Hello

I don't suppose I could mention that it has been sais ACD drew upon Edgar Allen Poe's "Murder on the Rue Morgue" in creating holmes. I found a web ref that seems to go further:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outlaws/cops_others/sherlock_holmes/3.html?sect=18
//extract
A reporter asked Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1894 if he had been influenced by the work of Edgar Allen Poe. The creator of Sherlock Holmes replied, “Oh, immensely! His detective is the best detective in fiction.”

The reporter asked if that assessment included Sherlock Holmes.

“I make no exception…,” Conan Doyle declared. “Dupin is unrivalled.”

Chevalier C. Auguste Dupin is the amateur detective who appears in Poe’s stories “The Murders in the Rue Morgue” (1841), “The Mystery of Marie Roget” (1842), and “The Purloined Letter” (1844), predating Sherlock Holmes’s debut in A Study in Scarlet by nearly fifty years.
//Extract end

Might be worth a mention. Although I cannot confirm the authenticity of the above web reference I have heard it said in several places that murder in the rue morgue was an influence on the creation of Holmes.

Researcher PSG

Post 5

Danny B

I can certainly mention it in passing - "It has been suggested that..."; there's no need to make it a definitive statement if you're unsure of the details.

smiley - cheers

Post 6

Researcher PSG

That will be great, thanks.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more