A Conversation for Sherlock Holmes Part I - the Character

Mycroft - the Cleverer older brother

Post 1

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Of course, as has already been noted, Sherlock might be the most famous member of his family, but even he defers to the brilliance of his older brother, Mycroft. His mind is only surpassed by his laziness.

So, what can we remember about him? Which story saw his first appearance?

Post 2

Researcher PSG

Well he first appeared in "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter", he frequents the Diogenes Club from quarter to five to twenty to eight, he works in Whitehall auditing some of the government’s accounts due to possessing a remarkable faculty for figures, and he lives in Pall Mall. The most significant aspect of the Diogenes Club was that it was founded by, and still contains, the most unsociable and unclubbable men. It is in fact part of the club rules that no member is allowed to take the least notice of any other, except for the Strangers room, and that no talking is permitted.

Yes I did just look up the story.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Post 3

Researcher PSG

corrections:

the most unsociable and unclubbable men -> the most unsociable and unclubbable men in London

except for the Strangers room ->except for in the Strangers room

Post 4

Minsu

The first time we saw Microft was the Bruce Parkington plans, he enlisted Holmes help

Post 5

Researcher PSG

The Bruce-Partington Plans was written later than the Greek Interpreter.

Researcher PSG

Post 6

Primord

Mycroft's appearance is nothing like Sherlock's.
Mycroft is 'portly', with fat hands 'like the flippers of a seal'. smiley - smiley Mycroft Holmes has been played by Charles Gray alsongside Jeremy Brett-and by Christopher Lee in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Post 7

Researcher PSG

I didn't think much of the Mycroft used in the Jeremy Brett series. It should have been Richard Griffiths as far as I'm concerned.

Researcher PSG

Post 8

Primord

Hmmm!

He would have been good. Charles Grey (Gray?) was an odd choice....Maybe the casting director had just watched The Devil Rides Out...or The Rocky Horror Picture Show smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more