A Conversation for The Dining Hall

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1761

Beatrice

Funnily enough, I'm planning to start the 5:2 thing tomorrow! I've just done my first menu plan for a 500 cal day

Black tea
Breakfast of cottage cheese and blueberries
chicken noodle soup with tomato and cucumber salad for lunch,
spinach and mushroom omelette for dinner.

Will report back.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1762

Hypatia

SC, I can't get that link to load. Is this plan for two consecutive 500 calorie days or alternate days?

Good luck, Bea. I hope it works for you. What I have always done on down days is not eat anything at all until evening. I seem to be less hungry overall this way. Plus, you can get a decent meal for 400-500 calories.

I had a good down day yesterday. My Monday and Wednesday down days are easier for me to pull off because those are work days. Friday is more problematic since I'm at home. So.....in spite of what I said earlier, I have decided to weigh myself every Saturday morning. This should give me some incentive to keep to a proper down day on Friday.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1763

Beatrice

I do not function well without breakfast!

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1764

Hypatia

smiley - laugh There are a lot of folks like you, Bea. My husband was very dependent on his breakfasts. Heaven forbid it should even be delayed a couple of hours. I do really well without breakfast and seldom eat anything at work. So doing just one evening meal on down days is more practical for me than it is for some.

I'm not saying that this way of eating on up days is a good thing. One reason I'm overweight is because I snack a lot after supper. I am trying to have both breakfast and lunch on up days and then not eat anything at all after supper. Spread the calories out better.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1765

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Sorry about the link, it was to allow folks to preview the link, just in case...

Try this one, it worked for me. As far as I can see, the faster chooses the days they wish to fast...I think your pattern with JUDDDD makes more sense.

I'm with Beatrice, while I frequently skip breakfast, when I eat it, I tend to eat less the rest of the day...sometimes too much less, hence that too-rapid weight loss.

Which was icky, it made my previously fairly smooth (if fat!) thighs firmer -- now I look vaguely post-famine. NOT a good look for anyone. smiley - erm

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1766

Spaceechik, Typomancer

smiley - dohhttp://tinyurl.com/d4y9p9m

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1767

Hypatia

I am becoming more and more interested in using an eating window rather than an every other day plan. If the window is long enough, you apparently get the same anti-inflammatory benefits as with alternate day fasting. The most common window appears to be an 8 hour eating window/16 hour daily fast. There is also a popular plan called Fast 5 with a 5 hour window/19 hour fast.

I sort of experimented a year or so ago with the 8/16. I felt ok but didn't really lose any weight. Didn't gain any, either, (in spite of eating quite a bit) so that would work with me for maintenence. I'm not sure a 5/19 would be practical for me, but I think I could manage a 6/18. This would let me do a 1-7 window. If I am more careful about my food choices, I think it would result in slow weight loss.

There was a study some years ago that indicated that the participants observing the Ramadan fast showed improved anti-inflammatory markers with an average 16 hour daily fast for the 30 days. They ate as many calories as the study participants who were not fasting, so they were clearly not getting the results from a reduction of calories. It was from the timing. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/intermittent-fasting/inflammation-and-intermittent-fasting/

Sure, I want to lose weight. But becoming healthier is more important than quick weight loss. This seems like a very liveable way of eating, especially since I don't really care if I eat breakfast or not. I am really to give this a try. Shoot for a 6 hour window but make sure it never goes over 8 hours.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1768

Titania (gone for lunch)

I sometimes find it a bit tricky to figure out what will keep me 'unhungry' long enough for a 6-18 window. Last night at 9 pm, I had six stalks of fresh asparagus wrapped up in bacon, fried on low heat in lots of butter and chopped garlic. I added shredded cheese on top and waited until it had melted until putting it all on a plate and pouring what was left of the garlic butter over it.

At the time, I felt quite full after eating it.

But the next morning, at around 8 am, I was ravenous! Further thoughts on long-filling meals in my LCHF journal.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1769

Hypatia

I've settled on a plan that I think I can maintain forever. I'm going to combine JUDDDD (MWF down days) with a 8/16 window. The fast time will be greater than 16 hours on the down days and possibly on T/Th. I'm also going to stick with the Saturday weigh-ins.

After 2 weeks of being back on JUDDDD, I've dropped 5.6 pounds. If I can average a pound a week for the next few months, I'll be estatic.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1770

Hypatia

My eating window yesterday was a bit longer than I would have liked, but it was a start. Today is a down day. Nothing except black coffee for me until I get home from work this evening. I'll know that JUDDDD is working for me again when the swelling goes down in my hands. I think they're already a bit better. smiley - ok Now if it would only help this pesky shoulder.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1771

Hypatia

Yesterday was much more stressful than usual. I did manage one meal in the evening, but I wasn't particularly careful about counting calories. I suspect I went over the 500 limit. To be honest, when I finally got home, I couldn't be arsed.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1772

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hang in there, Hyp!smiley - hug

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1773

Hypatia

I managed a successful down day yesterday. 380 calories. Today I didn't have time to fix myself anything to bring to work, so I'll be extending my fasting window until I get off work. Then another hopefully successful down day tomorrow before my weekly Saturday weigh-in.

I am not in the habit of eating at work. I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to bring a healthy lunch with me on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm sure it would be better for my health and might keep me from overeating at night and winding up with indigestion.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1774

Vip

I think that would be wise. I seem to remember you saying that you struggle in the evenings. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1775

Hypatia

Yes, I do have major problems with eating at night. For many years, before I went back to work full time, F and I had our main meal of the day around 2 o'clock and then had a light meal around 7. That worked out really well for both of us. I felt good eating on this sort of schedule. Of course I was a lot younger. Then when I went back to work, supper became our largest meal. I keep telling myself that I need to bring a lunch to work, manage it for a couple of weeks, then stop again.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1776

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I think we're all looking for something that works, and that we can stick to.

I'm much more mobile now, but paradoxically, I'm gaining back the weight I lost. Can't be that I'm putting on that much muscle mass, although I probably have rebuilt a little. Also don't seem to be eating more. smiley - shrug

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1777

Hypatia

The more I read about intermittent fasting, the more I'm convinced that the actual length of the fast is more important than what you eat or how much you eat during your eating windows. In light of this,
I am flip-flopping my priorities.

Priority one is to maintain a minimum 16/8 window. Priority two is MWF 500 calorie or less days. Doing an eating window of 11-7 is fairly easy for me. On M/W down days, I usually wind up with 23 hour fasts and really have no problems with it. On Tu/Th at work, I can easily do a small lunch after 1 o'clock, giving me an 18 hour fast. Friday at home down days I will likely have my one meal around 3-4, so I'll have a 20-21 hour fast. Sat/Sun up days will use the 11-7 schedule. I think this is liveable for me.

One thing I read is that women often do better with a 14/10 schedule. So, if I can ever get to maintenance, I may ease up a bit and shoot for that.

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1778

Hypatia

I'm down 8 pounds since January 1. Considering my age and how inactive I've been this winter, I am extremely pleased with that number. Yay!!!!

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1779

Titania (gone for lunch)

Yay!smiley - diva That makes a nice weekly average - stick to it!

Calling all JUDDDDers

Post 1780

Beatrice

Excellent, great start to the year!

Key: Complain about this post