This is the Message Centre for Websailor

My Heart is still Thumping!!!

Post 2481

websailor

Scorp, I assume you meant the Dawn Chorus recordings? I was able to access the Wave one from the National Dawn Chorus but I can't access the podcast for the BIrmingham Dawn Chorus which is a shame. I might get up extra early on Sunday and have a listen live, if I can drag myself out of bed smiley - doh

Wed. 2md May 07
Weather: Mild, breezy

Silent NIght! No rats and no railmen. smiley - applause At 3.27am both the dishes had their lids lifted off and the food had gone. There was no evidence that it was the Vixen, or that rats had been near, as the Sensor sends the Alarm ballistic if they are running around. The fox sometimes get past the Sensor because she comes over the fences, but I think perhaps she is not fit enough to do that at the moment <smiley. I wonder if she will bring her cubs like last year.

THURSDAY Very cold dull morning, but after 1.30pm the sun came out and it was a scorcher apart from a creepy cold wind.

This morning the robin was collecting mealworms before I could tip them out, but he always looks so pleased and says thank you so nicely smiley - biggrin

I refilled the peanut feeders and the woodpeckers came 7.29am, 8.10am, 9.57am, 1pm and again late afternoon. The jays have been spending a great deal of time here and so have the magpies, but the other birds are very huffy at the lack of food on the groundsmiley - wah

Fingers crossed for smiley - goodluck that the rats have finally left us and that the other variety does not appear.

smiley - star A male house sparrow was rooting around on the path, completely ignoring the female dunnock making fluttery "kiss me quick" advances to him smiley - rofl She clearly has bad eyesight!!

Walking up the road I was pleased to see at least four house sparrows fluttering around in a garden, the most I have seen for three or four years round here.

smiley - starsmiley - star Delighted to see a pair of coal tits at last collecting moss from the wall and from the pile i picked off my tubs. We have seen just one for so long, but perhaps it wasn't always the same one?

smiley - cheers

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2482

websailor

Thurs. 3rd May 07
Weather: Cold overnight

A fox appeared at the bottom of the garden at 9.40pm but after a quick look he/she left.

The badgers appeared to have had their fill by 12.21am when two rats came scurrying round looking for scraps. Finding nothing, one had a drink and they both fled at the sound of the window catch smiley - grr

the rest of the night was quiet. The period for rail work has been and gone with nothing happening, so perhaps the many complaints put a stop to the work at least for the breeding season.

FRIDAY Cold and dull. smiley - brr

A new cage arrived this morning to replace the makeshift one I was using for mealworms. The starlings had found their way in, though not necessarily out smiley - evilgrin, and were taking far too many but this new one is far better. Their antics today, and their sheer frustration was something to see. They were very cross, and explored every gap without success. I have two other similar cages and they haven't managed to plunder those yet, so that should be the last of the expense for a while, unless the squirrels really go to town on the feeders smiley - grr. I put a few mealworms out loose on the table as a smiley - peacedove offering and these soon disappeared!

The woodpeckers are still paying frequent visits, along with the robins, blackbirds, bullfinches, coal tits, great tits, blue tits, starlings, jays, magpies, wood pigeons and collared doves. The squirrels are still making a thorough nuisance of themselves, though they do make us laugh in spite of the damage.

smiley - starsmiley - star turns today came from a solitary greenfinch, and two stock doves.

It is most frustrating not to be able to feed more but I have to get rid of the nasty little visitors first. You will smiley - biro that PHM's threat about the rat trap has not been carried out so it seems he is smiley - chicken after all. He is still spluttering and muttering at the sight of them, but as there still appear to be only two I refuse to get uptight about them.

Back tomorrow with any luck

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 2483

websailor

Bank Holiday Monday
Weather: MIxed over the past few days. Currently showers and sunny spells.

Real life, like a husband, meals, gardening and email problems got in the way of a lot of things this weekend smiley - grr but here's a taste of it:

Friday NIght (4th) was very quiet, by by 12.48am both badger dishes were open and empty. No sign of any vermin but I missed any activity because I have been ordered to leave the smiley - bleep alarm off smiley - doh.

Saturday(5th) mild with sunny spells, and the odd tiny shower.
2.30am Two rats were seen drinking but there was no food around and they soon shot off. I didn't put badger food out smiley - blush as it seems they are attracted to it, but will return to feeding them soon.

8.10am and a crow dropped down on to the stone table, tucking in ferociously smiley - yikes. Food must be scarce as they normally do not venture in to the garden except in very cold, bad weather!! A squirrel had the temerity to challenge it for the table, causing the crow to jump in the air each time he attacked. Six times the squirrel launched himself at the table smiley - boingand finally the crow (Capt. Claw no doubt) gave up and flew, protesting loudly, on to a neighbouring TV aerial!

The wood pigeons are particularly disgusted at the lack of food on the ground, landing on the feeder trays and clumsily trying to access the food. The starlings have been complaining bitterly, as have the blackbirds and robins smiley - steam. The latter has been appeased to some extent by a generous ration of grated cheese, but still gives me filthy looks from the washing line. The woodpeckers seem happy with just peanuts and no fatsmiley - smiley.

Preparing to fill hanging baskets smiley - cheerupI found I had lost the coconut liners. They must have slipped down somewhere in the shed. Having walked miles smiley - footprints to the other side of our main shopping centre to a garden centre, just to get two coco fibre liners for my hanging baskets, I was too tired to do the deed during the evening. I could have caught a smiley - bus both ways, but missed them by minutes each waysmiley - grr.

So, SUNDAY dawned dull and cloudy with rain threatening. I hurried out to do the hanging baskets, digging a bucket out of the shed to stand them on, and you've guessed it, there were the coconut liners at the bottom of the bucketsmiley - steam. Oh, well it was probably better to use new ones, and the old ones would make good 'hair' for a couple of scarecrows!!smiley - rofl

The day turned out better than expected, the rain not coming till late. smiley - biro The bullfinches, great tits, blue tits, robins, starlings, collared doves, wood pigeons, magpies, jays and a pair ofstock doves joined the coal tits, squirrels and a daytime rat searching for tasty morsels.smiley - yuk I have to say the latter got very little and soon disappeared. The wood pigeons appeared to have a juvenile with them, the first 'baby' to arrive so far this seasonsmiley - smiley

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2484

scorp

Thank you WS!

I'm having a week's blissful peace and quiet at homesmiley - biggrin SS has taken himself off to Cornwall for a week; and Daughter is away until the Tuesday evening get home from work/Mum provide dinner/have a quick shower and bu***r off again till Wednesday.

I have now put out the last of the mealwormssmiley - wah Mr Robin is not best pleased - he has taken to raiding the bird table now and unfortunately, the blasted starlings have discovered his mealworms on the feeder and gorge the lot if I don't shoo them away often enough. I still have the pair of blue tits who always appear together as if 'joined at the hip' and the male blackbird was on the table this morning; enjoying a few ground peanuts/sultanas/no mess seed/chopped apple etc., Mrs Blackbird; I happened to startle, was on the ground (not a sensible move with Harry around) but she flew off quite smartish. Have also been visited by several house sparrows which is nice.

Post 2485

websailor

Oh, you lucky thing, Scorp, what I wouild give for a few days on my own. This weekend like most has been a barrel of laughs NOT!! My mealworms have gone too. Must order more tomorrow as the birds seem to be finding it hard to get food.

Sun/Mon 6th May 07
Weather overnight: Breezy and mild

Not putting badger food out, and the alarm not being on I slept pretty well all night, and there was no evidence of visitors in the morning.

MONDAY Dull at first, then windy, sunny spells and showers, more like April should have been!!

6.05am and a male woodpecker was knocking seven bells out of the peanuts for at l east five minutes before flying off. He, or another one, appeared at 10.33am. The robin is still not 'talking' to me, having arrived on the cage to find no mealworms smiley - blush.

I spent a good while watching a squirrel trying to climb the pole to a small feeder on top. He climbed up 2ft, then slowly slid down. He tried again getting perhaps 3ft up before sliding sloooowly down again. Third time lucky maybe? But no, down he slid again. Four times he tried, in between standing looking up at the feeder longingly and trying to work out what the problem was. Then he tried jumpingfrom the fence, missing by a mile, then from the tree doing a good imitation of a flying fox smiley - biggrin. the 7th attempt got him within licking distance of the feeder but down he slid again smiley - rofl. You have to give him full marks for effort and on the 8th attempt he made it, curling himself inside the feeder and hanging on for dear lifesmiley - biggrin.

A female blackbird chased a male all round the garden till she saw him off. He must have been visiting in the hope of making a conquest!! A collared dove was chasing another all around the garden, bowing and scraping and trying to get her attention, but she was having none of it.

I have overruled PHM and put food out for the badgers tonight, and the Sensor is switched on. I will put the alarm on later, and hope we get no unwanted visitors to set it off repeatedly. smiley - shhh perhaps he won't notice!! I will let you know if I catch sight of anything.

smiley - cheers

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2486

scorp

Afternoon WS!

I'm having a session of 'while the cat's away' smiley - evilgrin Have been to the local pet shop and snaffled the last of their mealworms (live) The only thing is, I haven't any more meal. Can I put wholemeal flour in the tub?

Post 2487

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

things could be looking up around here, we have a robin and a thrush dropping in regularly, not been seen for a few year

Post 2488

scorp

That's wonderul news Prof! I haven't seen a thrush here for some time either.

Post 2489

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

we had some a few year back, but I think people using slug killer took a load out as suchsmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadfaceI don't advise anyone using the stuff

Post 2490

scorp

No - I suppose like any alcoholic, they prefer to drown in boozesmiley - biggrin

Post 2491

smiley - whistlethey'd never get my whiskysmiley - laugh

Post 2492

websailor

Scorp,

you can use wheat bran from a health food shop or failing that crushed weetabix or similar, and I believe oats too. Perhaps some readybrek would make them glow in the dark smiley - biggrin

Animal, I hate slug pellets, they are so dangerous not only to birds like thrushes, but to any predator that takes the birds, and if cats or dogs take the pellets it can be fatal.

I think beer is probably their preferred exit method!!

From what I have seen of smiley - cats lately they will eat almost anything!!

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2493

scorp

ThanksWS! I have plenty of oats.

Post 2494

websailor

Scorp, Lucky you <smiley - blush...........

Mon. 7th May 07
Weather: Mild and wild

We were stunned to see the Vixen turn up and slide the heavy blue (engineering) brick off the lawn dish, push the lid aside and start eating smiley - doh

She was a bit jumpy with all the noises the wind was creating, but tucked in solidly until the dish was empty, which was what PHM wanted.

Half way through a rat appeared on the path at the bottom of the garden, spied the fox and disappeared faster than I could blink!!

Some time during the night the patio dish was also raided, but by what I do not know.

The battery in the Sensor hadn't sufficient power left to activate the Alarm so I missed it.

TUESDAY, Wet, windy, mild with sunny spells

I haven't had much time to birdwatch but the woodpecker (m) came several times, the robin is still giving me black looks as there are no mealworms and the other birds are scolding me because I am not ground feeding. I feel so mean smiley - wah

I have replaced the battery in the Sensor, and ordered a large sack of mealworms which should arrive in a few days, so I should be in robin's good books again.

I have decided one reason the birdfood has attracted vermin this year is because I have changed my lawn mower from one with a box to one without because it was lighter. Consequently the sunflower husks and any stray seed is not being picked up when I mow! smiley - grr I shall have to think about that, as the garden Vac is rather hardwork, especially to do the whole lawnsmiley - yikes

Back tomorrow,

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 2495

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Ello Sailor,

We used to have lots of snails in the garden which attracted the occasional Thrush. However, we now have two 9 month old, Springer Spaniels who think the wonderful instrument situated in front of their eyes, carefully bred into them over many gundog generations and purposefully designed to scent game is really meant for detecting snails prior to devouring them with relish, not garlic. In the competition for food I'm afraid the smiley - dogsmiley - dog win every time over the Thrushes.

Post 2496

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Hi websailor,

So glad you had a good weekend. Sorry you had to walk all those miles to the garden shop and then find the liners at home.

What have you put into your hanging baskets.? I was hoping to go to a big Garden show at Tonbridge to get mine, but was feeling so awful during the weekend that I did not move out of the house.

With much affection

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Post 2497

websailor

I have been having some trouble getting online at a time to suit me so I will do a quick update before I get cut off again!

Tues. night 8th May 07
Weather: Mild and breezy

10.40pm the lawn dish was open. 10.55pm and a fox was at the dish munching. This time it was Whitd Tip the male and he scoffed pretty well everything.

12.32am No Change

2.18am patio dish also empty. The fox seems to have learnt how to bypass the Sensor!!

Wed. night 9th May 07
Weather: Wet and Windy

I didn't put out any food in an effort to discourage the rats, and anyway it had been so wet the badgers would be better off finding earthworms, but at 10.40pm two foxes appeared but didn't stay when they found no food. I couldn't get a good enough look to see whether it was the Foxy Lady and White Tip, or mother and cub.

THURSDAY the mealworms arrived this morning. I didn't have time to unpack them till about 1pm, but it was quite cool so that was ok. I swear the robin knows when the van comes!!! He sat on the line looking at me, then the fence, then the barbecue, with head on one side *asking* until I took a handfull out to him and put them on the BBQ wall. They were gone in seconds.

This evening I dodged the rain and filled both mealworm dishes, hearing a very loud whistle from a bird just above me. Before I had shut the door the great tits, blue tits and robin were feasting, and flying off with a beakful in all directions. The magpies were very frustrated at not being able to get in the cages, and the starlings appeared to have gone to roost as not one came to investigate.

The birds have been feeding intermittently between heavy showers, and I am sure they are finding more natural food now.

Off to keep watch again. Haven't put badger food out tonight either. Perhaps tomorrow as I haven't seen a rat for about three days.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2498

scorp

Evening and thank you once again WS!

I have managed to ressurect a robin feeder from the depths of the shed (one of those with a lid, where you can lower the roof, so that only the little birds can enter) I put the meal worms into the bottom and waited with baited? breath. It only took about five minutes for Mister Robin to notice that there were 'wriggly' things in there - it was unbelievable how fast he cottoned onsmiley - biggrin

I am now on constant look-out for Harry, as the robin has taken to landing on the garden swing, before either going on to the feeder (on a pole) or landing on the ground below in case anything has fallen/been blown out of the feeder.

This morning things really looked up: I had a visit from Mrs Blackbird to the table and there were the usual pair of blue-tits, one great tit, the usual bother boys and several sparrows.

I just hope that feeding them isn't just encouraging the smiley - bleep cat to suppliment his dietsmiley - grr

Post 2499

websailor

Hi, WA,

I had no idea smiley - dogsmiley - dog would eat snails. I better get one I think as we have hundreds of the things. Mind you, I prefer snails to slugs, of which we have thousands. They really are a nuisance.

I wonder if I could advertise that we have snails, because the thrushes haven't been around for a long while. It is a shame with such a plentiful supply of food, and no pesticides have been anywhere near for over 40 years.

I bet you have a lot of fun with two young Springer Spaniels, they are such lovely dogs.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2500

websailor

Thurs. 10th May 07
Weather: Wet and windy

A fox appeared, mooched around and finding nothing soon disappeared.

smiley - bluelightsmiley - disco Going walkabout during the night I spied a lonely, sad badger mooching round the garden. No food dishes, no food on the table either. I felt so guilty smiley - sadface I think it was Missie as she did a thorough search of the garden before toddling off, with mopey body language evident!!

FRIDAY Nice sunny morning but rained before lunch and continued most of the afternoon.

The robin was taking mealworms from the dish smiley - droolalmost before I had a chance to put it down, and the blue and great tits were soon tucking in too. The starlings seem to have accepted that they won't be getting anysmiley - grr, except a few on the BBQ wall, and are not making such a fuss.

The stock dove appeared again today, and White Tip the fox came in to the garden at 4.45pm, looked around, found nothing and went. He looked a bit scrawny. It seems to me that wildlife is having a bit of a hard time of it at the moment.

I have put two dishes of badger/fox food out this evening smiley - smiley , and the Sensor is on. It is just a question of who gets here first I think. I will try to get the Alarm on early, PHM permitting, and I will let you know what happens.

At least it is nice to know the badgers are still aroundsmiley - applause , and also that the rail company didn't come vandalising the embankments. I really must try and find out if protests stopped them, or if they just abandoned the idea.

smiley - cheers everyone, have a nice weekend,

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Key: Complain about this post