This is the Message Centre for Websailor

My Heart is still Thumping!!!

Post 1

Websailor

Thursday 4th August 2005

Since 4.15am this morning my heart has been bouncing around like you wouldn't believe smiley - somersaultsmiley - biggrin and I can't stop smiling smiley - flyhi

I have all kinds of wildlife in my garden, or visiting, including four foxes, squirrels, the occasional hedgehog, frog and water vole, and about 30 species of birds. I have been seeing signs of another animal for quite a long time, but decided it was wishful thinking.

BUT, this morning on the way back from the little room, I did my customery peek out the window to see what was about, and nearly fell over. A dark shadowy figure had tipped the very low bird table over and was busily cleaning up the mess. I thought catsmiley - huh fox smiley - nahnah

Then I saw two long white stripes!! I have a badger visiting my garden and I am over the smiley - moonsmiley - somersault The stone table has been tipped over every morning for about a week now just after we put it there, and we thought it would have to be something strong to do it but didn't dare to hope.

I have never risen at that time in the morning before and stood transfixed for half an hour, during which time it was joined by a fox, who looked very disgruntled. After a drink from the bird bath(well dustbin lid actually )smiley - blush it waddled away down the garden and disappeared. I wonder if the badger had been eating the Marmite/honey sandwiches I had put out for one of the foxes, which appears to have Mange?

Anyway, peanuts, honey sandwiches and raisins are on the menu tonight, and some worms. I hope my other half can see it too, because at the moment it still feels like a lovely dream. smiley - smiley

Two Woodpeckers and a garden full of birds made us forget breakfast, till my other half realised he was supposed to be getting ready to go out!!

Was it a dream? I will let you know in due coursesmiley - smiley

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - wow
Incredible!

You should start charging visitors to your home nowsmiley - winkeye

smiley - galaxy

Post 3

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Marmite & honey sarniessmiley - ermsmiley - ermfunny badger foddersmiley - laugh

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

you'll have to set-up a video cam

Post 5

Websailor

The Marmite sandwiches are for the fox - it gives them a vitamin boost, and the honey sandwiches are healing for them as one has Mange. I have sent for a fox remedy from the Fox Welfare Society.

Badgers love peanuts, raisins/sultanas but are suckers for honey and the fox is not going to take on the badger, so we shall have to see if fox gets there earlier!

As for the video cam I am desperately trying to convince the other half it would be a good idea and fun - not much luck so far though. It is particularly difficult because we have to stand in the kitchen or look from a bedroom window which is very tiring!

It might come to ordering one, getting son to fit it and present him with a fait accomplis - sometimes it is the only way smiley - sadface

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 6

clout hubby round his ears for me, people would give anything to be in your position, to see them in the wild, as such(including me). Tryed bovril the other daysmiley - ill, I'll stick to marmite as wellsmiley - biggrin

Post 7

Websailor

I'll bear that in mindsmiley - evilgrin As I have your permission I trust you will take the blame should I get walloped smiley - huhsmiley - smiley

The fox has been and eaten his share. He obviously knows to get here early! Marmite's good for you. I actually like the taste, the squirrels do too unfortunatelysmiley - doh

Hubbie says the wildlife is getting better fed than he is, so I've told him he's quite welcome to go live in the shed smiley - rofl and catch what I throw out smiley - somersault

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 8

smurfles

Wow....i never seem to have any luck with the animals staying around!!smiley - sadface
We have lots of birds,woodpigeons,doves,and an ugly duckling magpie,as i call it,and lots of other birds.Hubby feeds them every morning before he goes to work,and as soon as he gets home.
We had a squirrell,which i was very excited about,but it only put in an appearance a few times.We had a fox,which came three or four times,then we didn't see again.
The garden is full of frogs,and the new ones are jumping about now,they're SO TINY!!smiley - smiley
I suppose they won't stick around as we live in the middle of a built up area,but i DO wish they knew they're safe coming here!!

Post 9

of course I'll take the blame webbie, let him read this as proof, us Ponte lotsmiley - laughsmiley - laughbet he's gone short of a clip round't'lug'oil over the yearssmiley - biggrin

Post 10

zendevil

OOOH how lovely!!!!

Do clobber hubby & make him realise the vital importance of all this, come on, he can live in a garden shed quite happily with a few Marmite butties occasionally, the Secret Seven managed; we NEED pics of the badger!!!

zdt

Post 11

Ivan the Terribly Average

Yes, we want to see the badger! We *need* to see the badger!

(I've never seen a badger. I feel deprived.)

Post 12

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Very dear Websailorsmiley - dragon

I read your piece to K. and he was thrilled.

I shall print it out when there are twenty entries. I do not know how to stop the priting before!!.

I also do not know to "find" my icon which helps me to go "back" to the previous entry.

How DO I lose all these important items on my keyboard?

A Lulu at the computer.

Fingers slipping,
Between the keys,
Sadly wrecks havoc,
and all info ceases.

When will I learn how,
To control these strange things,
Which were so useful as fingers
and are now just ting 'a lings.

(Couldn't think of a rhyming word!! smiley - biggrin

smiley - love

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Post 13

Also ran.
please feel free to add your verse/poems here, more the merrier

187?thread=187926355/thread/533382" >F1926355?thread=533382&latest=1

Post 14

Websailor

Hi, Folks,

Still got a ridiculous grin on my face in spite of having a smiley - bleep daysmiley - wah

The badger came back last night at 10.40am and I left him a trail right up to a dish of food on the patio. The honey sandwich worked a treat, as did the peanuts and raisins. My other half saw it too, but this morning a flower tub (big one) had been moved six inches, a board at the bottom of the shed had been tipped over and all the slugs had gonesmiley - smiley

My son thinks we have two as they are creatures of habit and the original one probably came back in the early hours to find food gone, hence the tipped over boards etc. We shall see. Will do same tonight and see what happens.

Re. photos - our windows are double glazed and designed to keep kids in and burglars out, so open window photography is out of the question. We are planning to fix a better light as it is very difficult to see in our very dark garden.

As soon as my son gets a free day or two he is heading over to
try and sort out camera angles and lighting etc. Perhaps he will have more success with hubby re. infra-red camera etc. smiley - rofl He is nearly as thrilled as I am.

Prof. other half professes to not being excited, but catch the "Ponte Hard Man" when he thinks no-one is looking and he is as chuffed as I amsmiley - roflsmiley - biggrin

If we do manage to get any decent photos I will see what I can do. Don't know if I can upload from this computer but perhaps son's might do the business! Sons have their uses, bless 'emsmiley - smiley

I will keep you posted as to progress, and thanks for all your thoughts. It is so lovely to share my excitement with like minded people smiley - hug

There are those of my acquaintance who would think I was silly, or might just tell the wrong people, so sharing it with you is an outlet smiley - somersaultsmiley - boingsmiley - flyhi

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 15

zendevil

Ohh, i can think of loads of my mates that would be thrilled to bits, KazSorrel & Skankyrich spring to mind immediately.

Say hello to the stripey ones from me (quietly!)

zdt

Post 16

Websailor

Will do smiley - smiley

Currently ( or raisinly!) waiting with bated breath to hear a clunk outside. Typing with the window open, and hubbie is spending more time peering out the downstairs window rather than at the TV - so much for his studied indifference and refusal to get excitedsmiley - evilgrin

Even if I don't see it, I shall be happy to see the evidence of his/her presence in the morning. The holes all over the lawn don't worry me a bit. They will soon fill up again.

The fox has just been for the Marmite sandwiches, and I am hopeful the homeopathic Fox Remedy will arrive either tomorrow or Monday.

Watch this space tomorrow for more news smiley - somersault

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 17

Skankyrich [?]

smiley - wow Fantastic!!! Missed this as I was away a couple of days, but will very much look forward to daily updates. Not having a garden, I love hearing of other people's nocturnal visitors smiley - smiley

Post 18

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

smiley - wow Nice thread to find!
Thanks Websailor - I will follow your backyard moments with glee

Post 19

zendevil

Where are they now??? Oooh, this must be about the right time...isn't hootoo wonderful that you can mentally link & think about what's going on with all the other friends all over the place?

smiley - applause for DNA & i suppose (a bit grudgingly) for Bill Gates & co also.

But even more very gentle softsmiley - applause for nature, for keeping going in the face of massive obstacles, adapting, yet still remaining esentially "wild"

And i suppose we should also say "merci!" to marmite!!! So long as it's not seen as advertising. But yeast extract is a major source of B vitamins (speaking as someone who is on mega doses)

Abbi, what is the USA equivalent of marmite? I know in Oz it's vegemite, but no idea of yankeemite! It's funny that here in France "marmite" means a casserole dish, but i suppose it's logical really & no doubt they had the word first!

zdt

Post 20

Webbie, can't remember if you have my email address or not, but one in my p/spacesmiley - laughsmiley - laughI want your address, they're better fed than I am, don't save the slugs thoughsmiley - biggrin.

regards to PHM(ponte hard man)smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Websailor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more