A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 1

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

haud yer wheesht is a Scottish expression basically meaning "be quiet"

but what if we don't want to be quiet? tired of biting your tongue all day sometimes we need to... off load perhaps

so...

can I kindly ask the girl at the train station to pull her trousers up her midriff is showing and its a wet day at the end of October not a sunny day in July she'll catch a cold!

Could the gentleman please... please stop putting his hand down the front of his trousers and jiggling it about... it is probably still there I doubt anything has changed much please it's not nice to see... we all know (or think we know) what your fiddling about with and its not socially acceptable to do it in the street...

your turn

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 2

KB

Stop calling things smiley - bleep "iconic", everyone!

Thank you. smiley - zen

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 3

swl

Actually, yes, it does make your bum look bigger.

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 4

towelshop

No the dress does not make you look fat, it's your fat that makes you look fat.

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Ask h2g2' to 'Miscellaneous Chat'.

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 6

Milla, h2g2 Operations

In general, the tendency to use superlatives where a softer word is more appropriate. Like "shock" and "horror". I would give examples, but my brain is too mushy at the moment.

smiley - towel

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The zombie threat is real, though the zombies among us think they're normal. They're not. They go through life with mobile phones stuck to their ears and a habit of talking as if they were in some private place, which they usually aren't. You catch snippets of conversation that are wildly unconnected to anything in their immediate vicinity. Forty years ago, anyone caught babbling like that in public would have been greeted by the men in white coats, but now the scenario is common enough to seemingly represent the majority.

Will I be committed for *not* talking loudly on a mobile phone?

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 8

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

related rant: Oh so I'm not important enough for you to talk to while not fiddling with that electronic device I'll just go then and talk to someone else....

Haud yer wheesht!

Post 9

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't mind being talked to. Being talked at is a different matter. smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post