A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

why am i so easily distracted?

Post 1

towelshop

I've got a ton of stuff to do and instead I'm surfing the net, Facebook, here, Twitter, pinterest, here, eBay, here, why why does this ....... Oooooo shiney stuff smiley - bigeyes

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Its all the fault of the internets... seriously... its distroyed my concentration too!; takes a real effort now, to do anything with a singularity of concentration for more than like an hour... which makes reading a book a slower process than it used to be smiley - laughsmiley - doh and... err... nope, forgotten what else I was going to say now... oo, someones posted more kitten photos smiley - run

Post 3

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I have the answer to why you're so easily distracted, but you'll have to pay attention as it's quite complex. The reason is... ooh a kitten!

Post 4

towelshop

Kittens? Where? smiley - bigeyes

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Ask h2g2' to 'Miscellaneous Chat'.

Post 6

Yes, the problem is, I always think, did I tell you the one about the time, we were camping? and, anyhow, yes, it was windy then too, adn we were camping, and, err, oh, we were talking about kittens?

So, anyhow, this camping trip... err... nope, can't oo, someones DM-ed me smiley - run

Post 7

towelshop

All hail smiley - disco the powers that be smiley - disco they moved us so gently we didn't even notice

Or where we just too distracted by 2 legs camp kittens to notice? smiley - erm

Post 8

smiley - snork arn't all kittens a bit camp... really? smiley - laughsmiley - snorksmiley - blackcatsmiley - blackcatsmiley - boingsmiley - blackcatsmiley - badgersmiley - blackcatsmiley - ponysmiley - boing

Post 9

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I think that....

wait, what was this thread about?

Post 10

Now I remember what I was about to say. Lewis Carroll's mock turtle taught distraction to Alice. Carroll was an eminent mathematician, so distraction must be a lofty thing, right?

Post 11

Rod

Ask yourself this:

Am I more easily distracted from

a) filling in a tax form
or
b) filling in a reimbursement claim
?

If the answer is

smiley - erm yes, see what you mean

Post 12

My eyes always cross so much when filling in tax forms that I put figures on the wrong lines. smiley - sadface Then I get dunning letters smiley - wah

Post 13

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Oh look - a squirrel!

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 14

bobstafford

FS flying squirrelsmiley - smiley

Post 15

towelshop

Tax returns smiley - yikes when did it become the dirty word thread.

They'll be moving us again smiley - wah

*looks over to the smiley - disco powers that besmiley - disco who have become distracted by 2 legs camp *

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

For years I've been trying to come up with a phrase along the lines of "so camp you could station 1000 Roman legionaries in him" but it's hard to do it without making it sound obscene.

Post 17

Everything sounds obscene, if done in the right tone of voice smiley - zen Maybe we've just got more distractions thesedays, than we did, in the way back when in thosedays.... Some distractions remain the same, some distractions change, but maybe also our ability to be distracted has changed, or increased, but, in order to discover which of these, is, potentially the case, I've deviced a cunning, if somewhat non-standard way to, oh, look more pictures of kittens...

Post 18

towelshop

"Everything sounds obscene if done in the right tone"

*decides to try this out, changes her tone down a pitch and to "off grey"

Grandma's chicken salad *wiggles her eyebrows for added effect*

Post 19

Pink Paisley

Pardon. Sorry. Did you say something?

PP.

Post 20

towelshop

What?

Who?

Me?

,smiley - bigeyes ooooooo smiley - cake

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more