A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Commonwealth games stuff?

Post 1

Beatrice

I added a question mark to appease the "ask" pedants.

Blatantly nicked from FB, but too good not to share - those Scotland team outfits.....

"In my minds eye I have a picture of Team Scotland's committee meeting to discuss what to do about the team uniform;

Chairman: "Ach, whut to do? We're sporty types and dinnae ken aboot fashion. Mebbe we shood hire yin o they designery types"

Committee member 1: "Aye we culd dae that but we huvnae much dosh",

Committee member 2:"Weeel my cuzins lassie's lass huz just left the art college - ah culd have a wurd and see if she up for it",

Chairman: "Guid man Lachie! Will she be any guid?"

Committee member 2: "Ach a dinea ken but she's a skinnny wee type who wears dodgy big bunnets and shawls so ah think that means she's artistic like and ah owe her auld man a favour - he sorted my car right oot, didnae charge much either ye ken"

Chairman: “Aye Lachie awa get her mun, she sounds just the ticket”
(designery type enters)

Designery type: “So, like whuts ma budget?”

Chairman: “Och hen we cannae be spendin too much, but we huv this tartan that the wee hotel doon the road was chuckin oot when they were doin the place up. Ah think it was the carpet in the bar”

Designery type: “Och yon's bonny. Ye can just feel the quality and the smell o beer, fags, shake'n'vac and urinal cake its just luvvly. Noo whut aboot shirts, dresses and the like? Ahm thinking a wee clashing colour wuld be nice and noticible. At skool they call that colour blockin ye ken”

Chairman: “Och we huvnae got the dosh for exras hen. Dae ye no huv any ideas of yer own?”

Designery type: “Hmm, noo just let me think fur a moment....Ah know! Are ye fond o they curtains o’er there?”

Chairman: “Ehh, no really”

Designery type: “Great! Have yooz ever seen The Sound o Music - ye ken, the film wi the nazis an' singin nuns? Ah huv a cunning plan”....."

Post 2

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Ask h2g2' to 'Miscellaneous Chat'.

Post 3

Deb

I didn't watch any of it, but I heard on the radio this morning the phrases "up goes the kilt" and "the curve of the tyre becomes the curve of Nessie" and judged that it was probably a wee bit stereotypical.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 4

swl

The first part was a bit toe curling but it then developed into something quite good I thought. The ballet piece was nice, Hamish Henderson's song as moving as ever and the idea to use the event to raise money for children was a good one. I really liked the music (arranged by Mylo) as the athletes paraded - some real bangin' choons. Seeing the Scotland team come out of the tunnel to the Shamen was wonderful.

Post 5

Icy North

I'd like to respond, but it's a response to your question, not a miscellaneous piece of chat. They'll have to move this back to Askh2g2 first.

Post 6

KB

The first post is full of questions!

To answer but twa, ma budget's far too bloody small, an they curtains o'er there are pish.

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

You're a genius, Icy, so I'm confident that you can rephrase your response into a question worthy of Ask, you know what I mean? smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Icy North

I could, but it would be entirely out of context.

Post 9

Do you think this thread is doomed, then?

Post 10

Beatrice

I've been awa for a bit ( obviously) so I may have missed the memo.

If I'd asked " what did you think of the opening ceremony? " or " who are your medal hopefuls?" Or " how many Scottie dogs were there, actually?" Would this have stayed in Ask? Or shouldn't I ask?

I've just remembered why I went awa ....

Post 11

Witty Moniker

Perhaps you were away when the announcement concerning the launching of The Lounge was posted. http://h2g2.com/forums/A85834173/conversation/view/F21546918/T8309478 http://h2g2.com/thelounge/ Thanks in advance for keeping the various forums in mind when choosing where to start a new thread.

Post 12

KB

Consider yourself told off, Beatrice. You should know better.

Removed

Post 13

Icy North

This post has been removed.

Post 14

I'm still trying to get used to the new arrangements smiley - huh. What happens is that I'm subscribed to all new threads in Ask H2G2, but not any of the newer lounges or odd socks, or whatever they are called....

Post 15

Pastey

Ask is for people wanting to know something, Misc chat is for chat.

The Lounge itself isn't new (although there is a forum off it), it's just a tidy up of the forums that were already there, bringing Misc and others to the fore. Easiest thing to do, subscribe to Misc too and you're fine smiley - smiley

Post 16

I'll do that if I can figure out how smiley - run.

Post 17

Okay, done!

Post 18

Bluebottle

I must admit I've been paying almost as much attention to the Glasgow-hosted Commonwealth Games as the British media paid to the Isle of Wight hosting of the 2011 International Island Games.

<BB<

Post 19

bobstafford

Not worth a look it's a politicaly bias "Jock Fest" smiley - laugh

The island games much more uorthy of interest smiley - cheers

Post 20

Bluebottle

The Island Games is being held in Jersey next year - I bet the top 3 are Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man (they always are), but the Isle of Wight usually fiercely fights Aland, Gotland and the Faroe Islands for 4th place.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post