This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

A day of mixed results.

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I got some things done successfully - I ran the dishwasher, and completed the third page of Bob's memorial site, for instance.

Other things just fell apart. I wasted the best part of an hour failing to transfer a single music file onto my iPod so I could listen to it in bed. It's not that it was in the wrong format, it's just that the only way to do it was through iTunes, which wanted upgrading and took over fifteen minutes, then the iPod wanted an OS update that took 20 minutes, then no matter where I put the file on the iTunes-enabled computer or hpw many times I synced the iPod it just wouldn't appear in the playable files. smiley - facepalm

Then I wasted half an hour trying to get TalkTalk to tell me an email address for the Tiscali webmaster. smiley - grrsmiley - wah It's a long story...

Basically, my "Mustardland" is being plagued by a troll, and I can't block their IP because Tiscali have them on a "floating IP" that changes every time they log in. smiley - geek I'm trying to email their webmaster with a log of the IPs used and the times, in order to identify them, along with a plea that they move them onto a fixed IP so that they can be blocked.

Except TalkTalk have bought over Tiscali, and all the "Contact" pages now redirect to the TalkTalk "support system", eventually funneling me through to a 'phone line where the person at the other end makes three attempts to shepherd me onto one of their scripts before "escalating" the call. Because I just happen to be with TalkTalk I then have to spend five minutes or more getting them to understand that my request in no way is related to my TalkTalk account, and that I have no problems in that respect. smiley - facepalm Until I finally got through to the supervisor, who asked me "So, tell me again, what's the problem with your email?" smiley - grrsmiley - steam

It took me the best part of ten minutes to get her to admit that they had absolutely no contact info that went outside their "Customer Support" bubble, that all Tiscali contact details now pointed to them, and in this situation they were absolutely no use. smiley - headhurts

At that point I gave up. smiley - blue

I also spent a long time searching for, but failing to find, an LCD touch-screen I bought from my Chinese suppliers in the mistaken belief it just plugged into a Raspberry Pi. Which I only have about another week to return if I want a refund. smiley - geeksmiley - doh

I watched "Californication". Then I slept for a really long time. smiley - online2longsmiley - zzz

I'll probably watch another episode of "Californication", "Bob's Burgers" and "Nurse Jackie" before I crash. smiley - cdoublesmiley - sleepy

A day of mixed results.

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

All right Peet. I've got hold of all of Bad and the 5th season comes complete with all the talk shows you mentioned. Which is good. So I've got a ton of telly to watch. Excellent... I like a bit of telly in hand. I watch it on the big screen in my den.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more