This is the Message Centre for Vestboy

Torcher

Post 1

Vestboy

My granddaughter who is 3 found a wind up torch in the house and realised that it would light up if she turned the handle. When she had got the hang of this she proceeded to point it at my face and wind furiously shining the blinding light straight into my eyes and laughing as I whined and whinged at her antics. I now wish to rewrite the definition of torture (maybe for the Uxbridge English dictionary) to include being abused with a torch.

Torcher

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

*giggles*

She sounds full of mischief!! smiley - laugh

Bless her! smiley - angel

lil x

Torcher

Post 3

Icy North

While we're on the subject, did you know that at Guantanamo Bay, they developed a new technique which involves interrogation by university graduates?

It's called mortar-boarding.

smiley - profsmiley - yikes

Torcher

Post 4

Vestboy

She's as bright as a shiny button. Just to show how much little ones can enjoy new experiences she came home pleased as punch the other day telling her mum that she had been "on the naughty step!" at nursery. She'd thrown a brick at an annoying boy. I'm thinking Lego rather than house, but who knows.

Torcher

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

throwing bricks at annoying boys seems perfectly reasonable.... but... then the naughty step does sound fun... smiley - laugh

Torcher

Post 6

Vestboy

Icy, does Mortar boarding come under taught-ya or torture?
I'll see if I can get you a while on the naughty step 2legs, though it may be a bit low.

Torcher

Post 7

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

The 'Naughty Step' sounds almost as much fun as the 'Group W Bench' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0a6iWHSWbA Please do not ask how I know about itsmiley - blush

F smiley - dolphin S

Torcher

Post 8

smiley - bigeyes

Torcher

Post 9

Vestboy

The American viewers are following that a torch is a flash-light aren't they?

Torcher

Post 10

Yes, at least I did,. I have become almost fluent in the Queen's English after all my years on h2g2. I even managed to communicate in London and Portsmouth. I did have to ask to have a few sentences repeated before I could translate them properlysmiley - cheers I even used the lift at the Chemist's.smiley - biggrin

The use of British torches was well shown in one of the 'Harry Potter' films (I think it was the second).

To be attacked by one of our 'torches' would have been even more uncomfortablesmiley - shrug

F smiley - dolphin S

Torcher

Post 11

smiley - facepalm not 'Harry Potter' smiley - erm 'Narnia'

F S

Torcher

Post 12

Heck, I struggle understanding what some British people are saying! and I'm ment to be one.... Mind, even worse if they've an ultra strong accent, and* they're drunk smiley - laughsmiley - weird

Torcher

Post 13

Vestboy

I remember my dad telling me a story when I was little about Scottish accents. An American is in Scotland on holiday and points at a huge box in a shop window and asks a passer by if they know what it is.
"Ah dinna ken," says the Scotsman.
"A dinner can! You must eat big lunches here in Scotland."

Or overheard in a Scots bakery "Is that a macaroon or a meringue?"
"No, you're reet. It's a macaroon."

Torcher

Post 14

Icy North

"a macaroon or a meringue" smiley - laugh

Torcher

Post 15

Vestboy

I did hear of someone from the Philippines asking for a singer in a night club to sing the song about a penis. On further discussion the band worked out that he was talking about Ken Dodd's song "Happiness".

Torcher

Post 16

Vestboy

I now can't think of that song without thinking of how inappropriate the lyrics must have sounded. smiley - musicalnote"The greatest gift that I possess is more than my share of..."smiley - musicalnote

Torcher

Post 17

Icy North

I remember that joke on 'Parkinson' many years back (I think).

People don't really remember Ken Dodd these days. I get blank looks from the younger members of the office when I say:

"This project is like a Ken Dodd concert. It can only end in Tears."

Torcher

Post 18

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

What? Ken Dodd forgotten!! smiley - yikes

He's still making a living on the Taxman! smiley - biggrin

lil xx

Torcher

Post 19

Vestboy

Before I went to Uni I had a job in a big nightclub in Birmingham, The Night Out. On the night I was to be trained on how to open bottles etc. they asked us to stand at the back of the auditorium for the training. Ken Dodd was on stage doing his act. The head waiter who was telling us what to do kept saying, "Are you listening to me or to him?" I don't think I had the heart to tell him.

Key: Complain about this post