A Conversation for Boy Scouts of America

Scouts

Post 1

DawnyWol

The BSA were based on the Boy Scouts founded in 1907 by Lord Robert Baden Powell. My Scout troop in the UK was founded in 1908.

Scouts

Post 2

Garibaldi - Patented Mr G party at F14181?thread=256534

Thanks for pointing this fact out. Being an Australian Scout I found that when I chatted on IRC about Scouts, you would think the Americans invented the Scouting Movement. If anything BSA would the furthest away from what BP created. Americans are just so unhappy that they didn't create Scouts and form the largest Youth Organisation in the World

Scouts

Post 3

Gaz

Heh heh.... Golly, all the American Boy Scouts that I know, know who started the movemant just fine!

Scouts

Post 4

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

True. smiley - winkeye

I'm a leader in my BSA troop, and everybody knows Scouting started in England. There's a story about it somewheres ... aha: http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-503.html

It says:
William D. Boyce, a Chicago publisher, incorporated the Boy Scouts of America in 1910 after meeting with Baden-Powell. Boyce was inspired to meet with the British founder by an unknown Scout who led him out of a dense London fog and refused to take a tip for doing a Good Turn.

Anyways, since then the United States has had it's own Scouting movement with it's only history, heritage and values, different from those overseas.
smiley - towelNerd42

Scouts

Post 5

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - sorry a typo - it's OWN not it's ONLY lol

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Boy Scouts of America

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more