This is the Message Centre for SashaQ - happysad

Subbing the Dandies

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hiya Sashasmiley - hug
I have taken A87868192 to sub, don't forget to subscribe!smiley - towel

I noticed this at the end of the entry: <!-- "Dandyism's core message is an expression of anti-essentialism" - ambiguous class, gender, sexuality. "dandyish predilection for surface over depth"

"From the beginning the dandy was recognised as a non-aristocratic man who gained access to upper class circles through artifice, arrogance and a meticulous attention to fashion and manners" In Victorian England, "dandyism came to connote a suspicious effeminacy" Oscar Wilde, "apologist for aristocracy ... cultural disintegration" "dissipated foppish gentlemen unable to secure a family line"

"A working definition of dandyism: an elaborate public relation scheme through which the structures and conventions of aristocracy can be manipulated to obscure suspect sexual and racial identities" - unmasking means exile

Tom Connolly, Anglo-Irish MP, held up Robert E Lee as a gentlemanly masculine ideal

Albert Camus, The Rebel "The dandy is, by occupation, always in opposition. He can only exist in defiance"

"Heritage is a Brideshead complex between the past and post war modernity... performance of cultural heritage exudes dandyesque ambivalence" -->

did you want it to remain hidden, or adding to the text? smiley - smiley

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - biro

Subbing the Dandies

Post 2

I'm done with my subbing smiley - smiley

I was surprised to learn about John Steed being a dandy, I remember watching the original series (my parents loved it, I was very young) and I thought of Steed as a "posh" man. I always thought his pairing with Diana Rigg as Emma Peel was TV gold. If I were to choose a TV dandy of that time it would have been Jon Pertwee's Doctor Who, he was aloof too, smiley - laugh

Subbing the Dandies

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks GB smiley - hug

Ah! They were my notes from researching the Entry, so they can be deleted from the Edited version smiley - ok

Yes, John Steed is a bit of an interesting case - I do read the programme as indicating that he is not what he seems, but is good at pretending to be whatever he needs to be to fit in, so he is not actually aristocratic (and <BB< suggested him as an example, so perhaps there is something about Steed's background from the earlier series that confirms that).

Yes - can't beat Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg as a team smiley - ok TV Gold indeed smiley - magic

Subbing the Dandies

Post 4

Researching notes deleted, and the entry has been returned to Eds for final polishsmiley - disco

Thanks for writing it, it was very interestingsmiley - towel

smiley - hug
GB

Subbing the Dandies

Post 5

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magicsmiley - senior

Subbing the Dandies

Post 6

smiley - applause

Subbing the Dandies

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit wearing jeans and several lumberjack shirts
"No, I am not remotely dandy more like a smiley - clown
Apparently you forgot to suscribe to 'The Evolution of the Dandies' < A87868192 >, any of the following links will
< <./>FSB22147743?cmd=subscribeforum&page=normal&desc=Return+to+the+Guide+Entry&return=F22147743</.> >
or the light blue version
< http://h2g2.com/forum_subscription/F22147743/add > or < F22147743?thread="diva" class="smiley" src="http://www.h2g2.com/h2g2/skins/Alabaster/images/Smilies/f_diva.gif"/>"

Subbing the Dandies

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Hello smiley - tit

Ah! smiley - doh Thank you very much for spotting that - I had forgotten to subscribe indeed and completely missed Researcher 5's comment yesterday. Sorted now smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for SashaQ - happysad

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more