This is the Message Centre for Florida Sailor All is well with the world

NaJoPoMo #16 Lieutenant Leib Part IV

Post 1

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

After leaving the burned wreck of the 'Gil Blas' it was clear that another major task lay before them as they watched the flames reflecting from the clouds above. With wind and currents against them they were forced to anchor for the night. When they got underway at dawn the Motto's captain decided to take the safer course on the Atlantic side of the island, as the rudder was still unreliable. Leib convinced him to first hoist out the boats so could have his men row down the bay, believing it would be quicker. The distance was about 5 1/2 miles for a bird, but they would spend most of the day rowing around the shallows before they reached the lighthouse.

After an hour or so they found an abandoned canoe that contained cooking utensils that could have been looted from the light keeper's cottage. After another mile the found the keeper's small sloop boat (a small sail boat about 30 feet or less in length with a single mast, as opposed to a 'sloop of war', a medium sized war ship mounting from 22 to 28 cannons and about 200 feet long, with 3 masts) loaded with food from the light house's pantry. They decided to sink the canoe and take the boat in tow instead. They arrived at the light house about at 5:00 PM and left a few men on the anchored sloop boat to cover their landing.

When they arrived at the compound they found the cottage and out building destroyed. The badly burned body of the keeper's helper lay twisted at the bottom of the tower, while the keeper* lay on the narrow wrought iron balcony near the top of the 60 foot tall lighthouse. A brief inspection found that the spiral stair that had led to the platform had been reduced to a pile of charred rubble at the bottom of the tower. Although still alive, the keeper had been badly wounded in his feet and lower legs by the rifles firing up at him. Although they considered all the material available, they could not devise any way to rescue the keeper at the time.

With the light fading they reluctantly left him and returned to the 'Motto', which had arrived at the road-stead, promising to return in the morning with a solution to his predicament.

*He was officially the Assistant Keeper, as Keeper himself was away at Key West with his family.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Had the Keeper been attacked by someone? smiley - sadface

Post 3

It would appear so, however we can not find out who it was until we can get close enough to ask himsmiley - winkeye Although the canoe might be a hint.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 5

cactuscafe

Hullo FS! This journal is a work of great research! Amazing! Is this a work you've already written, and now you're serialising it journal format, or are you writing it as you go?

I marvel at researchers. (moment of marvelling). How long does it take you to write something like this?

Nice one, FS!

cc smiley - ok

Post 6

Hi cc

I am glad you are enjoying this. In the spirit of NoJoMoPo I did not have anything truly prepared before the start of the month. The Leib stories are the result of about 20 years worth of research although there have been many months and even years between additions. The Harrison book was probably my greatest find, which led to other available archives.

To answer your question I am working from my personal notes that contain far more details on the various ships, and I have the names of most of the people I refer to. My goal in the Journal is to turn it all into readable prose. I thought if I introduced too many names of the others it might make it confusing who the main character is.

I am probably spending about two hours per entry, however I occasionally go back into my raw notes to better flesh out a sentence or two. Sometimes this adds another hour or two. I have been wanting to share this for several years, and I thought the Journals to be an ideal platform for them.

This story will probably run through Thursday, the 20th, or so. I have a few ideas about how I will finish the month.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 7

bobstafford

it gets better every day well done smiley - magic

Post 8

cactuscafe

Hullo FS! Thanks so much for being so open about your research and writing process. I really appreciate it!

I find it fascinating to hear how people work, usually because I'm so in awe! Like watching a magician, then wondering 'how did they do that??'.

'Course, sometimes they don't tell, which is fair enough also. heheh.

It's great that you have found a context for this project in the h2g2 journal facility! I wonder what you will write after Nov 20th then? I'll have to wait and see won't I?

Yay!

cc smiley - choc

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more