This is the Message Centre for Florida Sailor All is well with the world

FS, a sad fate for a Viking dragon ship.

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I thought you'd be interested in this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/us/viking-ship-draken-harald-harfagre-great-lakes.html?_r=0

What do you think about these regulations? Are they really necessary? I UNDERSTAND about oil tankers but could a small ship like this wreck such havoc?

Post 2

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Forgive me for waiting a day to reply to your post. the question you raise is not easy to answer. The simple answer is 'Yes I wish this historical ,not for profit, ship could be given free access to all US waters'.

On the other side we have a Federal law dating back to 1960. This law was passed during the last year of the Eisenhower administration. To the best of my knowledge (and I do study these things) There were no historical, not for profit, ships sailing at that time.

As with almost all legistration in the US, both at the Federal and State level the power of the lobbies eclipse the rights of the people.
I am sure the pilot's union played a big part into this law.

To play the Devil's advocate, or just to give a fair reply, There are many areas of the Great Lakes that funnel a large number of ships into a very narrow passage. particularly between the lakes. The regulations are not just to prevent an environmental disaster, but to prevent loss of life and property. Even for those aboard the ship being controlled. If an accident should occur it would be likely to block traffic and cause many thousands of dollars of debt to the owners. Not to mention the law suits by the next-of kin)

Another point, at the time of the passing of this new law, the US had at least four
sets of 'Rules of the Road' (the rules ships and boat have to follow) International, Inland, Western Rivers and Great Lakes. While basically similar to each other, the main differences involved lights used at night And navigational aids (bouys, markers and lights).

In recent years this has been changes and we only have International (Colregs 1972) and inland (everything in US waters), but obviously this regulation has not been revised. We have also been given very accurate GPS locators and improved communication.

They also state that the based their sailing plan with the Canadian government, is it not obvious that any time you enter a US port you will fall under US law?

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 3

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Yes well I think that being used o working with standardized rules and regs in the European Union, they probably assumed that the rules would be the same for Canada and the US since the Great lakes are between them. Does that mean that NONE of the tall ships can enter the Great Lakes either? Kinda a shame for all those landlubber midwesterners can't see them. I find them inspirational and pretty --but I don't think I'd enjoy a trip on them across an ocean.

You are so knowledgable about this topic, perhaps you should consider doing a guide entry on aspects of it.You'd have to limit the scope of it of course but it might be interesting.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more