This is the Message Centre for Deb

NaJoPoMo 2014 Day 23 - Wherefore Art Thou, Inspiration

Post 1

Deb

I'm pretty stuck for ideas on what to write about today.

I watched a film last night but can't really review it beyond: Homefront - it's exactly what you'd expect from a Jason Statham film. Which is fine cos that's why I watched it smiley - biggrinsmiley - drool

I ate mushy pea curry with boiled potatoes & cauliflower. It was lovely. Today I plan to build a roast dinner round Linda McCartney red onion & rosemary sausages, which are also lovely.

I'm having a vegetarian day, which means I get to have cheese on toast for tea tonight - this always seems very naughty but in fact it's a measured amount of cheese, there'll be lots of tomato & spring onion, and the toast will be 2 slices of wholemeal bread from one of those small loaves, and it fits in with my eating plan perfectly. It's still a treat, though, and that's what counts - feeling like you're not restricted just because you're on a diet. It's how I've managed to stick to it for over two years. Let's spin the statement "I've only managed to lose just over two stone in that time" into "I'm over two stone lighter than I was in 2012".

For me that's a real achievement. I have a notebook upstairs in which my husband & I noted our weight every week. There were several periods of dieting in the book, but my weight at the very first entry and my weight at the very last entry about five years later varied by only a couple of pounds. On one diet which lasted six months I ended it 3 pounds heavier than when I started smiley - rofl. So losing and keeping off over two stone is a major accomplishment and I really believe I'll get there in the end on this plan.

I've been overweight my whole life. During my teens I would be constantly on a diet and lose nothing, whilst watching my brother eat three fried egg sandwiches BETWEEN MEALS. I drew the genetic short straw by taking after my dad whereas he takes after my mum's side of the family. There's only a very small, petty part of me which chuckles now when he talks about how frustrating it is to try so hard to eat the right diet but still not manage to shift the middle age spread he suddenly developed around 40 smiley - evilgrin

And on that note, it's time for lunch.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 2

Researcher 14993127

I'm fed up with diets, (no pun intendedsmiley - spacesmiley - whistlesmiley - space)
I've decided I'm going to eat once a day whether I need to or not.smiley - spacesmiley - laugh

smiley - cat

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I still eat three meals a day, plus small snacks between them. The snacks are smaller than they used to be, but they're still there. A pick-me-up, however small, is good for morale.

My doctor says that carbs are my problem, so I've carved out small bits of them here and there, trying not to sacrifice any of my meals or snacks. My breakfast banana is gone forever. I replaced it with boiled eggs or Greek salads with a little chicken. A teaspoon of lemon juice serves as the "dressing" for the salad. I dropped some cereal varieties that had high sugar content, replacing them with the ones that had the least sugar. I'm still eating the same *amount* of cereal, but it has fewer carb calories than before.

You mention two slices of bread with cheese on, BMT. That would be my entire day's quota of bread. Fruit is also limited to two pieces. The only fat sources smiled on by the Nutrition Police these days is monounsaturated oils, so I snack on peanuts and small crackers. I count them out a the beginning of every day, so as not to overindulge.

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

That is impressive indeed, deb smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

Also illustrates that the situation is not as simple as the powers that be would have people believe - metabolism differences definitely do make a difference...

My disability (cerebral palsy) means I use up quite a lot of energy just by sitting still, never mind moving around, so I do need to keep my energy levels up, and I do try to eat 3 meals with snacks in between, too smiley - ok Just that it gets boring sometimes to be almost constantly having to think about what to eat so it is easy to forget...

I'm not keen on meat sausages, but I am quite partial to veggie sausages, and those Linda McCartney ones sound tasty - I shall look out for those smiley - ok

Post 5

I eat turkey sausages. They're fine. With prepared foods like sausages, the ingredients are apt to be things that you would not be able to grow in your garden or find in the produce section of your market. Preservatives? Nitrates? Emulsifiers?

Soy products are fairly high on the allergenic list. The Linda McCartney sausages have soy, plus gluten. Some people will simply be unable to enjoy them because of the side effects. smiley - sadface

Post 6

Deb

BMT, the trouble with diets is you can't just go cold turkey. I gave up smoking 14 years ago and it was great because I just didn't smoke again. That doesn't work with food, you've got to keep "using".

Paul, those two slices of bread are small ones, about the equivalent calorie-wise of one normal sized slice. I don't normally eat bread, it's one of my overeating triggers so I usually use the bread part of my daily allowance as crispbreads or cereal bars (which double as a bar of chocolate replacement).

Sacha, the Linda McCartney red onion & rosemary sausages are a little bit like stuffing. I love them and usually have at least one meal a week including them.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 7

Maria

Some suggestion for snacks:

sweet: A87820284

salty: A60321007
Some could not be approved by your weight watcher, but, think they are a treat.

I lost weight when pregnant, I had to eliminate animal fat, except fish, and sugar. I also had to eat five times and check the size of portions. I lost about 15 kilos in 9 months.

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Yeah, that is true that food problems are extra difficult, because you can't just ignore food and think of something else instead... smiley - erm

I have one or two allergies, but mostly I just don't like certain food, so that limits me for starters... Soy is good, but it isn't the easiest thing to digest smiley - blush so I don't eat too much of it in any one week.

I do like stuffing, though, so those veggie sausages do sound good smiley - biggrin

Post 9

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 10

Deb

Maria, that nut cake sounds gorgeous! And the savoury link has me drooling as I'm going for a tapas meal tomorrow night smiley - drool

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 11

Maria

Me alegro que te guste! I´m glad you like it!

Post 12

Stuffed eggs, mushrooms al ajillo, and figs and ham would probably be okay on a educing diet as long as portions are not too hefty.

There's an antipasto bar in the store I get groceries from. There are about a dozen varieties of olives, plus spicy feta cheese, artichokes, marinated mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and pickled vegetables. None of the foods are high in carbs, and few have much fat. The little fat that's there is olive oil. Few of the foods are calorie-dense, so they're likely to fill you up without giving you a lot of calories.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deb

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more