This is the Message Centre for Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Roller Coaster Life

Post 1

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hello long ignored friends!

I'm not apologising for the lack of journals since mid-November when life took hold of me and sucked out all of my ability to write about it. But, life moves on and I'm now entering a new and hopefully-more-hopeful time.

If I can put it in one sentence, this will be all I want to say. I'm sincerely not looking for sympathy or virtual hugs. I'm not that kind of oversharer, or touchy feely. Anyway, my father died recently, after a long illness - nursed at home.

Of course, my mother is now my main concern. She's a feisty, hugely inspirational person, but aged 85 has to learn to live alone. She's never ever been home alone in her life. Yesterday was a first for her. I'm away from her for a short break, and the last few weeks have been preparing her for this.

We're very lucky in the fact that the house is fully adapted for the elderly, and I do mean fully! Also, due to the fact that my parents were very sociable and active in the life of the village, she won't be lonely. And further to that, she's always been at the forefront of technology, so using social media to enhance communication with loved ones and friends near and far is an added benefit.

As for me - well. The house here is totally neglected, full of sandy dust, things that need taking to the recycling centre, my oven needs replacing, as does my washing machine. The roof is due to fixed (once the rain stops!) My balcony was full of rainwater this morning, the drain being blocked by sand and leaves blown here during my absence. I should be making a start, instead of typing.

One good thing in my favour is that the conversion rate from Sterling to Euro is a lot better at the moment, which makes electrical items and the cost of the roof a hell of a lot cheaper. smiley - biggrin

Added to that is that I need to lose 14lbs. At least. Comfort eating is to blame, as is the fact that I was housebound during the last months. Living in a moorland village is a delight, if you're fit and not single. Walking alone in the snow is Not A Thing. Here smiley - island I have the ability to stroll along the front whenever I choose. Plus the dear Tesco is 2000 miles too far away to order home delivery of food. I need to walk to even get to the local shops.

Oh, and I never mentioned at the time, that I probably had whooping cough over Christmas and Jan/Feb. Never had anything like it before, but the docs gave me appropriate antibiotics and eventually an inhaler. I won't detail the awful symptoms. Ugh. So I've stopped coughing now. My aunt was positively diagnosed with it, but I hadn't found this out until I was nearly better. Whooping cough is quite common in people my age and over, as the resistance given by the vaccination in childhood doesn't last.

So. Onwards and upwards! I'd better get out of these pyjamas now and find the broom, vacuum cleaner and mop. Not even sure where to start. The balcony is too wet to sweep just now, but too leafy to mop. Maybe this journal is another way to procrastinate.

Roller Coaster Life

Post 2

You can call me TC

Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about your father, and your lousy health problems over Christmas. Consider Easter to be your New Year and look forward to a fresh start!

Here are some flowers to brighten up your virtual life

smiley - cheerupsmiley - petuniassmiley - rosesmiley - snowdropsmiley - mistletoe

Roller Coaster Life

Post 3

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thanks TC - yes it's Easter soon - I quite forgot! smiley - laugh

Roller Coaster Life

Post 4

You can call me TC

You forgot Semana Santa?

Roller Coaster Life

Post 5

cactuscafe

Lordy what a time you had, Lanzababy. As if you needed whooping cough as well. I just read about whooping cough so I could understand what you've been through.

Easter springtime! Yes! New times.

What a challenge for your mother now to learn to live alone. At least she has friends and contacts and a strong spirit. This is all positive.

Take care. I'd send you brandy if I could. Do you drink brandy? I live on Spanish brandy. Well, not entirely, but .. smiley - rofl A fine medicine.

Roller Coaster Life

Post 6

Maria

You look pretty busy Lanza. Life goes on, isnĀ“t it?

The picture about your mother is bright, there are a lot of positive things around her that will help to at least have a serene and comfortable life. Mourning is hard, but those friends will help her.

I used to call my father everyday after my mother died. It was comforting for him, and for me too.

Spanish brandy CC? fantastic idea, that of having a copa de brandy after cleaning all that! or even before cleaning, to raise your spirits!

smiley - teasmiley - choc all around

Roller Coaster Life

Post 7

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smileymorningsmiley - smiley

Roller Coaster Life

Post 8

Deb

Nice to see you back. Sorry you've had such a miserable time, here's to the future smiley - stiffdrink

Deb smiley - cheerup

Roller Coaster Life

Post 9

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Good to have you back smiley - hug

Hope the weather is good enough for you to enjoy a bottle of smiley - bubbly cava on your balcony once you've got it cleaned smiley - cheers

smiley - pirate

Roller Coaster Life

Post 10

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Agreed with what others have said; welcome back... and smiley - cuddle about the bad news and times smiley - sadface

bubbly on the balcony...... If I were fitter, atm and not so far away... I'd offer to come help do all the housework/cleaning, in return for a glass on the balcony smiley - biggrinsmiley - silly

Roller Coaster Life

Post 11

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I lost 12 pounds recently by looking at all the carbohydrates in my diet and reducing them by 25% across the board. Lactose is the only carb I wasn't able to reduce, but it wasn't a huge concern anyway.

I'm sorry about your father. Your mother is lucky to have you in her side. smiley - smiley

Roller Coaster Life

Post 12

FWR

Sending you a big smiley - hug anyway, now get off your bum and clear that sand away!

Roller Coaster Life

Post 13

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"not looking for sympathy or virtual hugs"

only carry 1 bucket of coal at a time, instead of 2 and chop firewood up in bed = utilising bed rest until the batteries are fully charged

smiley - smooch

Roller Coaster Life

Post 14

[Also sends a big smiley - hug. It can't hurt, and might help smiley - smiley.]

Roller Coaster Life

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Lanza. If you don't want a virtual hug, I'll save up a real one for next time I meet you. Look after yourself.

If your balcony is still flooded, put on your bathing togs and go out and clean up those leaves and sand with your fingers.

smiley - smiley G

Roller Coaster Life

Post 16

smiley - laugh

Speaking of sand and Lanzarote, I can imagine a movie title "Lanzababy and the Marx Brothers at the beach."

[I just finished a DVD of "Marx Brothers: a Night in Casablanca"]

Roller Coaster Life

Post 17

Websailor

HI Lanzababy,

Sorry to hear your news but your Mum is of a steely generation who just get on with things. It is hard losing a life partner, very hard, but there has to be an element of relief that his suffering is over. I faced the same thing just over four years ago, and the relief was palpable, but not easily admitted to, but even if they were joined at the hip' they clearly had a good life and those friends will see her through.

As for you, it is something we all have to face at some time and procrastination is a problem for me, but at some point, soon I hope, you will get a grip on yourself and get stuck in, and the physical work and the mental satisfaction as things get done, will help. I find hard physical work is a good antidote to the duvet days.

I won't give any any soft stuff, just get in there and get on with it girl, you will feel better. We are here if you do need an outlet, bottling stuff up is not good, and everyone here has been through the mill at some time, or still are, and will support.

Best wishes,

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Roller Coaster Life

Post 18

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

True friends have a true shoulder to lean on if needed smiley - hug

smiley - prof

Roller Coaster Life

Post 19

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

ahh... if its virtual kick's to motivate your after... I've plenty smiley - biggrin come on... chin out... face the day... there's only so much duvet time allowed... smiley - zensmiley - zen and... if its not easy... its probably helping... or at least.... moving us towards a better place, mentally and/or physically.... smiley - zensmiley - bruisedsmiley - zen

and... somtimes you've just gotta do it... no matter how ... smiley - sadfacesmiley - wahsmiley - cry things might feel. little goals though... can be good smiley - zensmiley - goodlucksmiley - cuddle

Roller Coaster Life

Post 20

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi everyone, and thanks for all your sweet thoughts. You'll be relieved to hear that I've been on the beach today.

plus I've been catching up with a few friends here and there. Talking of which, I must run, smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more