A Conversation for The 'Dirk Gently' Novels of Douglas Adams

Electric Monk

Post 1

cactuscafe

Thanks for this entry! Whilst on the search for something funny to read, I was wondering just recently if I should read the Dirk Gently stories, and I decided to check hootoo to see if there's an Entry about it all. And lo! Of course there is.

And so I am consequently reading the stories, and have never looked back. Where would life be without the Electric Monk? heheh.

How come Hitchhikers Guide became the more famous work? I think Dirk Gently is just as funny. Just depends on the reader, I guess.

cc smiley - choc

Electric Monk

Post 2

Bald Bloke

I think the only reason they are less famous is that HHGTTG came first.
My personal favourite is Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

Electric Monk

Post 3

cactuscafe

Oh it is? That's great! about the Long Dark Teatime of the Soul being your favourite story. Thanks! Now I feel reeeeelly good about having invested in the hardcover Dirk Gently omnibus as an Easter holiday treat. I'm only on the first story, and am looking forward to reading The Long Dark Teatime. smiley - rofl.

Oh, I see. I wondered if Dirk Gently was like the second album, hard to follow after the success of the first. But not so it seems!

(heads off to get back to hardcover omnibus) smiley - book Thanks Bald Bloke!

Electric Monk

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I think Dirk Gently was less popular because it required a bit of thought to figure out what was going on. It was a detective story where absolutely everything was relevant to the plot. That appeals to a different type of reader than Hitchhiker's

Electric Monk

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

which essentially didn't have any plot and was just a sequence of funny soundbites.

Electric Monk

Post 6

cactuscafe

Hullo Gnomon! Really? I don't know any of this. smiley - rofl.

I think I love both.

I have Hitchhiker's complete in hardcover also, which is irrelevant, but very nice. smiley - book

Now I'll prepare for Dirk Gently to exercise a different part of my brain, thanks for the warning. I'll make coffee. smiley - coffee I've only got as far as the horse in the bathroom. I laughed so much I nearly died. So the horse in the bathroom is relevant to the plot? This is interesting indeed.

cc smiley - chocsmiley - kiss

Electric Monk

Post 7

StarSeeker

I've just started reading the first book (literally. I'm on the first page smiley - smiley) and after reading this,smiley - biggrin.
Can't wait to read about that horsesmiley - smiley

Electric Monk

Post 8

cactuscafe

heheh. Hullo StarSeeker! Have you read about the horse yet? smiley - rofl

I must admit, after reading the entire book, which I loved smiley - love, I had to find a plot synopsis to help me understand what on earth had just happened smiley - rofl, but that's just me, I'm not very adept at unravelling plots.

I wonder what the TV version is like? I do like that fella who plays Dirk Gently, he was also in Green Wing, but whose name I can't remember because I'm only just awake .. ah yes, Stephen Mangan.

I think I'm going to check out the TV version ...

Electric Monk

Post 9

StarSeeker

By the time I got to the horse I stopped wondering... smiley - biggrin
The whole book is completely amazing!smiley - smiley
And the plot... I probably forgot most of it alreadysmiley - sadfacesmiley - blush
Wikipedia makes it sound so... smiley - shrugI don't think 'logical' is the word I seek,smiley - smileybut maybe linear?? I'm not good at explainingsmiley - winkeye

There's a movie?smiley - laugh
Lg StarSeeker

Electric Monk

Post 10

cactuscafe

That's interesting, about Wiki making the plot sound linear, but that's the magic of the book I guess, it's not at all linear! smiley - rofl

There was a UK BBC TV show based on the Dirk Gently books, but I think it only ran for one series. Perhaps it had more of a cult following or something. I think it must be on YouTube, or on DVD? Must seek out.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more